This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#278028 by Planetguy
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:50 pm
Because I don't already play in enough bands, I've decided to add one more to the list.

Along with the drummer and lead gtrst from THE 121's (truckstop houseband), we've begun rehearsals for THE SPINCASTERS.

We're going to be playing rockabilly...mostly more modern stuff like Rev. Horton Heat, as none of us are too terribly interested in slavishly treating this music as a museum piece under glass.

This is strictly a side project for all of us. Besides our regular "house gig" playing three weekends on/one off....we all play in other bands. So, we're just looking to fill in the calendar with midweek and afternoon weekend gigs. (two gigs in one day? NEVER a problem)

For me....I'm excited about getting an opportunity to improve and work on my slap technique. Pop and slap on electric bass...no problem. But on upright, well, that ain't one of my strong points. I'm looking forward to the challenge of improving that.

We play our first gig tomorrow, but I booked it as a straight up blues jam. We'll play a set in a hotel bar, and then open up it to anyone who wants to get up for a cpl of songs. We're hoping this brings some folks out ("ring, ring" go the cash registers) and that maybe it translates into a steady and regular midweek gig.

Dane, this gig is in Columbia, MO where you've mentioned you have to go for your VA needs. If you're gonna be in town tomorrow (Thurs), you should swing by, and hopefully get up to play a cpl. :D
#278029 by Vampier
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:19 pm
Planet Guy ... Good Luck on your newest Project. Variety is often as they say is "The spice of Life". No one can accuse you of not having a go or being lazy ... that is certain. Good Slappin !

Live Well die Well ... Slap Well ?
#278030 by Planetguy
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:28 pm
thanks. vamp.

you hit it right on the head. for me variety IS the spice of life and i like it VERY spicey. gots to have that crop rotation! 8)

Vampier wrote: Live Well die Well ... Slap Well ?

GOOD ONE! :D
#278128 by DainNobody
Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:00 pm
thanks for the invite anyhow.. but I think I will prefer to just drop dead rather than get on as another cash cow for them.. I do not want to linger.. with a pill program.. I will let karma seal my fate.. :lol:
#278360 by schmedidiah
Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:23 pm
are you going full PSYCHOBILLY? :shock:
#278361 by Planetguy
Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:20 pm
well, not full on psycho-billy but we'll do some of that.

i also want this band to do some swing/ jump tunes along the lines of Louis Jordan, Louis Prima, Slim & Slam, etc.

the other thing i'm excited about doing is taking some straight up R&R tunes and dressing them up in rockabilly clothes.
#278363 by schmedidiah
Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:46 pm
Can't wait to hear some of that
#278364 by Planetguy
Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:50 pm
Dayne Nobody IV wrote:thanks for the invite anyhow.. but I think I will prefer to just drop dead rather than get on as another cash cow for them.. :lol:

the way it works is that musicians who come out to sit in at "blues jams" aren't there as "cash cows" or any form of barnyard animal. they are there supporting the host band and helping them keep their gig while getting an op to make new musical friends, network, and have some fun playing w others they wouldn't normally have an opportunity to play with.

but, i understand you're holding out for those $200 a night gigs. :wink:
#278371 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:02 am
Planetguy wrote:We're going to be playing rockabilly...mostly more modern stuff like Rev. Horton Heat :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yezaLGTWvE0

I used to produce/direct a show called "Dallas Music Magazine" and this is footage from one I did on The Reverend Horton Heat in 1988. Didn't upload this to YouTube though, and whoever did made a bad copy. I've got a lot of gold in those old 3/4" master tapes...but it's so expensive to get them transferred to digital. If you know who Doyle Bramhall Jr is, I've got some of him at about age 12 sitting in the background while his dad jammed on the drums. Some of BW Stevenson's last gigs, Ray Wylie Hubbard, etc..

Richard Heath used to do sound at the Prophet Bar and it was Russ Hobbs, the club owner, (we're still close friends) who heard him play another guys guitar during setup and gave him the name, Reverend Horton Heat and helped him get it going. I was so surprised when someone in London told me Horton Heat was his favorite guitarist in 1997. Didn't even know he had "made it". Local Dallas boy done good.

Columbia MO is 115 miles past where I'm playing Saturday morning, but I'll be finished by 4 or 5 PM and headed back to Texas. Are you playing anywhere Saturday night?

#278379 by DainNobody
Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:38 am
Planetguy wrote:
Dayne Nobody IV wrote:thanks for the invite anyhow.. but I think I will prefer to just drop dead rather than get on as another cash cow for them.. :lol:

the way it works is that musicians who come out to sit in at "blues jams" aren't there as "cash cows" or any form of barnyard animal. they are there supporting the host band and helping them keep their gig while getting an op to make new musical friends, network, and have some fun playing w others they wouldn't normally have an opportunity to play with.

but, i understand you're holding out for those $200 a night gigs. :wink:

again, my use of improper English might have threw you again, I meant I don't forsee me coming up to the VA hospital, and being a cash cow for them, not your sit-ins.. even though in reality, VA hospital care should be free of charge and literally I would not be a cash cow for them..was not referring to your gracious invitation but rather your reference to having to use the hospital.. :)
#278380 by Planetguy
Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:49 am
thanks for the further explanation, Dane. sorry I misunderstood.

ted, i'm actually off tonight. PJAZZ played in Columbia last night and now i need to get my ass in gear to unload my vibes and gtr stuff from the van, and get my upright and mando stuff packed and loaded for a 9-11 AM bluegrass gig at a Farmer's Mkt back in Columbia. (about 35 min from me)

have a good gig and safe travels on the rd. 8)
#278381 by DainNobody
Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:09 pm
Ted, you mean you do not want to come up and jam Over The Hills and Far Away with me? I could give you a hands-on lesson? whoops, sorry, I am headed to an auction starting at 9 AM and won't be back until 4-5 PM and then I have a date.. :(
#278382 by DainNobody
Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:13 pm
Ted, you could just do the vocal and I would do the riffin'.. :D
#278402 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:15 am
Guys, I was talking about next Saturday, after St Louis. It's Kentucky/Indiana today. And if you aren't gigging in Columbus, maybe I will swing by and teach Dayne how to play Led Zeppelin on the way home? :D

St Louis will be the last concert of the 2002-2017 USA Tour.

I'll still play a few concerts per month, but living on the road is over. Making some major changes after next weekend. After 57 years of living in Texas, just got an offer I can't refuse in Asheville, NC. Plan to be moved to Carolina in time for the August eclipse.

After 17 years of being an international recording artist, I'm going to see if I can make it locally! :lol: Not planning a national tour again for a long time, at least a year but maybe never if thing go as planned. I've just been given authority over two very large venues to use in whatever way I see fit with a staff and budget. We will begin building a team and a media center in the Spartanburg/Greenvile SC area.

It will be an academy & convention center that produces mostly biblical education and fine arts. And we do this by training the next generation in audio production, video & VR production, while networking the best & brightest or our youth together.

We will immediately begin creating the world's first VR networked faith community within the 6 congregations where I'll also oversee the building of music teams. Most are in the Carolina's but there is also Cleveland and Jerusalem. It will be a slow year to get this vision tooled up, but that's fine because I've already got a lot on my plate for 2018 to deal with anyway. At least now I can leave my computer set up on the same desk for more than an hour like I get in hotels on the road.

Just got a 9 bedroom log cabin on 60 acres in a mountain forest with a creek running through my front yard. I can go hunting off my front or back balcony deck. Think I'll buy a gun. Maybe start stockpiling them? :D

We can plan an Old Farts Convention if y'all want to come on down sometime?
#278426 by DainNobody
Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:27 am
well anyhow, Ted if you ever have an audition for guitar players, keep me in mind, if you ever did hire me, and we were touring in that bus, (the one you went 500 miles in 3 hours on icy roads yet) you would never hear a negative word uttered from my mouth and you would barely know I even speak in person, I am one of the most sullen people you would ever meet in person.. very gloomy I am, but some people prefer that.. :lol: