This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#277806 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:39 pm
Displaced Pianist wrote:But I disagree w/ the notion that anyone can write songs if they just work at it enough (whatever "enough" turns out to be). To me, that's a myth on the order of saying 'anyone can grow up to be president';.

And that is also true.

If a person really wants to write a song, all it takes is a pencil, paper, and time to study the craft. The Beatles taught the Stones in 5 minutes backstage with "She's a Woman".

I just taught a class of 5 to 12 years old a week ago, and we wrote 3 songs in an hour. Would you like me to teach you in my next post? It's easy IF you really want to learn and then follow instructions.

Writing a great song "could" require practicing the craft on a regular basis and applying yourself to getting better every time.

#277808 by MikeTalbot
Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:19 pm
Four years ago I was doing an IT contract at a corp location. I'd made one of the other guys for a player and told him so.

He asked me, "How'd you know?"

"Dude..." I replied succinctly.

He said, "OK then, this is a test, here is a song title I haven't had time to do anything with. Write the song." He was working on a compilation of Sinatra tunes with piano which I thought was pretty cool.

This was just before lunch. By 2pm I used my usual template and handed him this song:
------------------------------------
I’m So Miserable without You – it’s Almost Like Having You Here
M. Peirce (Talbot) Copyright © 2013 (from an idea by Rob Littwin)

Intro
Video
Arpeggios on hook chords [C C Bd Am G] and then again on F13(no 5) Ed13(no 5) Dmin C.
or some single notes that wrap around those figures. Maybe both. [sparsely]

VERSE 1
Video
Amin C G
You knocked me off my feet, it was ecstasy,
Amin C G
Yes……………………….it was for a year.
Amin G F
Soon we started fussing all the time.
G
All the time, or pretty near…
F pause then 3 beats C C Bd Amin G
I’m so miserable without you…………..it’s almost like having you here.
F13(no 5) Ed13(no 5) Dmin C
VERSE 2
Video
Amin C G
You’d walk into a room and look so daggone hot…
Amin C G
I’d just want to stand up and cheer.
F
It’s a shame that things went sour
G
When our future seemed so clear.
F13(no 5) Ed13(no 5) Dmin C

CHORUS
Video
Fsus4 (high) Csus4 D Dsus4
Some call it misery, Some might call it peace.
Bd C
You waltzed out smiling, like you’d found release.
G Amin A#min
Yeah I’ve been drinking ever since – but let me make it clear…

INSTRUMENTAL INTERLUDE

Repeat VERSE 1

Repeat x2 CHORUS

END.
#277813 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:56 am
george1146561 wrote:So, while I won't argue that anyone can put together some words and a tune, that doesn't mean anyone can write a good song.

why wouldn't that Bushy Brow Production be a good song? It serves the needs of a community. Mission accomplished.

If it pays off in cash or if it doesn't, that's the definition of a good song.

#277815 by Displaced Pianist
Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:44 pm
yod wrote:If a person really wants to write a song, all it takes is a pencil, paper, and time to study the craft...
Would you like me to teach you in my next post? It's easy IF you really want to learn and then follow instructions.

You mean I can be a big-time songwriter in X short lessons? Despite a lack of talent or anything worthwhile to say? Sign me up!

But I'm busy for the next 2 weeks. I'm taking a course described as a "guaranteed, sure-fire path to the best job on the planet: POTUS." It's being offered by Chump (or is it Trump? whatever...) University. It sounds pretty easy, but I'm a little concerned about the "world-class instructors"; they're all Russian.
#277817 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:40 pm
Displaced Pianist wrote:
yod wrote:If a person really wants to write a song, all it takes is a pencil, paper, and time to study the craft...
Would you like me to teach you in my next post? It's easy IF you really want to learn and then follow instructions.

You mean I can be a big-time songwriter in X short lessons? Despite a lack of talent or anything worthwhile to say? Sign me up!

But I'm busy for the next 2 weeks. I'm taking a course described as a "guaranteed, sure-fire path to the best job on the planet: POTUS." It's being offered by Chump (or is it Trump? whatever...) University. It sounds pretty easy, but I'm a little concerned about the "world-class instructors"; they're all Russian.

That's hilarious sarcasm...but "greatness" is a matter of time on top of education. If you apply the simple lesson I would teach and THEN PUT IN 10,000 hours....you will be great. I'll bet on it. And you'll stumble across some great songs getting there.

Being a "big time" songwriter will depend on your business skills, or at least your people skills in finding that person. Just another step in the process that depends on you sitting down with pencil and paper (quite a lot) first. You just have to create magic. Not that hard if you'd try.

Being President is a totally different skill set that I can't teach. It requires less than the other half of your brain to sell your soul evidently, but you'll need much thicker skin and better funding than a musician for that.
Last edited by t-Roy and The Smoking Section on Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
#277825 by Planetguy
Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:39 pm
Displaced Pianist wrote:There are other guys in here who write some good stuff, as well--for example, I like pretty much anything P-Guy posts. It's a bit more accessible to me because I like that specific genre.

Thanks DP! The check is in the mail. But no, you may NOT have one of my kidneys.
#277826 by Planetguy
Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:55 pm
Displaced Pianist wrote:You mean I can be a big-time songwriter in X short lessons? Despite a lack of talent or anything worthwhile to say? Sign me up!

Just tell me you didn't sign up for the meal plan. Trust me...you really want to avoid those Chump Steaks....they still have the whip marks on them from where the Cossacks were beating them!

#277841 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:41 am
george1146561 wrote:. But if I write it, and find that lacks quality, then I declare it "bad".

Ok, George, you can go hating your own song if'n you want to.

But I've written enough frogs that turned into princes when they were fixed up with good players to know that any song is a good song if you take it seriously. And whenever someone disagrees, I just mention "Louie, Louie"
#277851 by schmedidiah
Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:41 pm
Louie Louie rules. It was recorded on one overhead mic. Gimme a break! :lol: