This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#279335 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:30 am
george1146561 wrote:So, are the musicians who earn their living and practice their craft giving life to the music of a single songwriter not "great". Do you tell your sidemen that since they didn't write the song, and are merely performing your work, that they are inferior to you, and aren't equal to your greatness? .

That's just stupid to be stupid, man. Maybe you think that way, but that has never occurred to me. When producing, I work with people who are much better musicians than me. Otherwise, I'd just do it myself. I was, and am, a better songwriter than most of those fantastic musicians, and therefore that work will pay off for years instead of hours.

I still don't understand why you must be so belligerent, but as long as you choose to be, I'll keep slapping it down and returning your guile. The only thing I've ever said that comes close to your silly accusation is that I think it's stupid to record a song you don't own. However, if your goal in life is to play bars for a few extra bucks on the weekend, and you enjoy doing that, then great. More power to you.

But I made a decision a long time ago that I was willing to pay the dues and take the risk necessary to be a recording artist. It's not the same discipline as a local bar or church musician. It required a lot more work and sacrifice than you will ever know, Sir Whine-a-lot.

So you change someone else's song and think you deserve credit for.....what? Jimi Hendrix recorded "All Along The Watchtower" but do you see who gets credit (and the writer's royalties) for that song? Have you done anything greater than him? Can you write a song that an audience likes enough to let you play the next song?

Until you've paid those kind of dues, you are speaking in utter ignorance about the music business at any level. This last statement of yours proves you have no idea how this works, and you certainly don't know me.

#279373 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:48 pm
Sure...riiiiight. If you knew anything whatsoever about art, you would be creating it instead of copying/corrupting it.

You choose to be mediocre and you'll do it for nothing to save your "integrity", eh? Anyone professional enough to make a living writing/performing their own music must be a whore. There can be no other possible explanation!

That makes you a cheap slut, since no one pays you for attempting to do the same thing. Ignorance is a terrible thing to choose, george, but arrogance in being ignorant is ever worse, and practically hopeless.

Your belligerent attitude is transparent old-fashioned envy, plain and simple. You can try to disguise that but it's clear as vodka.

#279378 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:58 pm
george1146561 wrote:
No, what makes someone a whore is adjusting their artistic output to suit the fickle tastes of the pimps who run the business. It doesn't matter if you are creating your own songs, or creating musical arrangements and accompaniments from scratch. If what guides what you create is nothing but a paycheck, that's what makes you a whore.

The only person who has ever been stupid enough to accuse me of that is an ignorant dumbass in Duluth, Georgia.....and what an ignorant dumbass you have proven to be.

Yea, like "messianic jewish praise music" is a really lucrative genre that everyone is trying to get int? If I were doing it for the money, I'd be as stupid as you are.

#279391 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:42 pm
george1146561 wrote:
yod wrote:Yea, like "messianic jewish praise music" is a really lucrative genre that everyone is trying to get int? If I were doing it for the money, I'd be as stupid as you are.

So you decided to be the biggest duck in a very little puddle. I'm not impressed.

Like I give a sh*t about impressing someone that likes lame 80s regurgitated counterfeits? You don't know what art is in the first place.

george, it's just not a fair fight to argue with a moron like you. You've taken what is easy to find out about me and have desperately tried to turn it into something you could shame me with, but it won't work because I have a clear conscience and am not the person you're desparately wanting to hurt.

There is no logical reason for our acrimony except you're an asshole looking for a fight. You just keep begging for it......

Still, I've asked you this before, but you never answered.

I might answer your question when you answer mine: what the hell is wrong with you? I don't owe you anything, george. Especially not an answer to a stupid question from a dumbass who thinks he can trick me into saying something he can criticize.

Really, this is getting tiresome. Why don't you get a life instead?

Maybe an afterlife too.

#279396 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:14 pm
I have "attacked" no one, little man. You've been attacking me with every sentence in every thread.

Original songs are the foundation of music. This is a musicians forum. Maybe that's why you don't get it?
#279415 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:50 pm
Songwriting is just another kind of construction. Any original "crappy little ditty" is greater than any attempt to copy it, because there would be nothing to copy without it. That is not to say that there is no value in all types of music, whether original to the performer or not.

There are many levels of perception, bro. You seem stuck on the greco bilateral logic of "either/or"
#279453 by MikeTalbot
Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:38 am
As a songwriter I learn toward Ted's view just a bit. George has a made a good, if rather heated case that has some merit.

So here is something for both of you to consider. Kieth Richards wrote that songwriting is like chasing butterflies with a net, if you don't catch it you lose it, it doesn't belong to you until you have it. That suggests to me that songwriters, perhaps even me, might grab songs in their net that didn't really belong to them, they just reeled them in...

Our nets seem usually to catch songs that fit us as who we are, our personalities. But that doesn't mean something else doesn't slip into the net on occasion and sits there stoically awaiting the folks that can bring it to life.

Talbot