This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#278010 by DainNobody
Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:55 pm
NO! I complimented him on his green clothes, but due to his tainted character he perceived that as a threat or an attack.. as I said before, he thinks I owe him something, so he will persistently attack me as long as I do not apologize for something as stupid as saying ".. jewing him down" others can talk about his g-string and he will cower down, sheepishly playing along, if I do it, it's full out attack, calling me a sasquatch on thorazine.. amazing the bias here.. you stand right up for him once again as if he's innocent.. :) i
#278018 by Planetguy
Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:23 pm
Planetguy wrote:
....and as usual you pull this slimy maneuver while cloaking it w just enough deniability to innocently assert "oh, i meant that as compliment". :roll: i'm calling BS. you took a swipe and you got called out for it.

quit the baiting and the "oh, who me.....i was giving you a compliment". it's cheap, transparent, and weak.
#278032 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:51 pm
george1146561 wrote: How is it that society has slipped so low that people will insult musicians who perform music just because they didn't compose the music? Beethoven, Bach, Mozart and hundreds of other great composers are all dead. Should we never hear their music again?

"IF" that is a reference to my comments then you've misunderstood the point....so I'll repeat.

I prefer original versions because they were created from nothing. Anything after that, while it may be a great version, can never be as great as the original creation. So in reference to your last paragraph, I would prefer to listen to Beethoven performing his own music, but since he's dead and didn't put it on vinyl it's a good thing someone else covers his work.

And that's fine for listening...but I'm a songwriter first, singer second, guitarist third. And in my songwriter's opinion, it's still cheating (as in not as hard to get a good audience response) to do other people's work instead of creating something unique and holding their attention with that.

I can appreciate the talent and, in some cases, the creativity of taking someone else's work and putting a new spin on it. OK, yea, some of those are cool speaking as a singer/guitarist.

Yet I prefer "honest and authentic" no matter the genre. I'd rather hear new arabic music to another cover of Dylan any day. Not saying anyone else should...just my preference...and I stated it to qualify my response to the topic.

and by the way, was in Pittsburgh last weekend and flying back on Friday. I love that city...one of the most beautiful in the world (in case if you haven't seen it in the last decade). Found several open jams in the Millvale/Lawrenceville area that were pretty cool. Folks as friendly as Texans and almost as talented.

#278080 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:31 pm
george1146561 wrote:You've made that opinion clear, while simultaneously ignoring the fact that almost every "original" pop song, from any genre, is "originally" created by the band and/or arranger taking the bare bones of a song and adding bits to it. If different people add different bits, how is that really all that different from bandmates adding bits?

How is it different? That easy: they had a reference point to start with. The original writer did not. It started with an idea, that was fleshed out until it became a song. Anyone can jump in after that. anyone.

Did you not read what I wrote about how Ray Thomas and Mike Pinder added extra bits to Justin Hayward's "Nights in White Satin"?

Can't say I did.

Can you honestly say that not a single hit record that was written by a professional songwriter who, at best, might have recorded a demo personally, but the song only became a hit after producers and arrangers worked on it? Do you honestly claim that Jackie DeShannon's original rinky-tink demo for "Bette Davis Eyes" was greater than the one Kim Carnes sang on?

Yes, if you're talking about the song. No, if you're talking about the production.

The song was either good or great at conception. Recording and arrangements don't do much unless there is something worth building on.

Did you ever hear the Mars Bonfire original demo of "Born to be Wild"?

Can't say I've heard of Mars Bonfire

Since you place such importance on record sales and how a song charts, which of these is greater, the original or the hit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOXvoeX2qGQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQK0d72Jom8

Audra Mae's version sounds more authentic to me but it seems obvious that a recording artist with the full backing of a record company would have a better chance of making it a hit. Still....what does it sound like if Miranda tries to sing a song that hasn't been written?

That next duo of songs you present were more of a challenge. Couldn't handle but about 10 seconds of either. There is only a key change and singer making them different. The first one has the generic female opera voice and the second is sung by chipmunks. Neither were a "hit".

If I could handle listening to this 80s rehash, the lyrics/melody/rhythm would decide whether it was a great song or not, speaking for myself only. Has nothing to do with sales or charts. I don't begrudge anyone else for loving it. I just did that in the 80s already.

You can keep repeating the error that just because someone did it first, that means it was more "creative", but you've presented no evidence or examples to support that view.

Because it is a truth that is self-evident.

People build beautiful structures every day. Had God not created the earth, they would have no foundation to start with.

Any good PROFESSIONAL songwriter should acknowledge the input of the musicians and arrangers who flesh out a song, and "finish" it. I've done the acoustic troubadour thing, and listened to far too many troubadours and singer/songwriters who really needed a band and an arrangement to truly bring out the best in their songs. It's the height of egotism to presume that only the writer deserves any credit for a finished song.

Every song starts with an idea. If the idea is great, then there isn't a whole lot that can stop the song from being great, ala Dylan.

The musicians who contribute to that idea deserve credit for helping the production of the song, but not necessarily the song itself. There are, of course, exceptions where maybe a melodic hook is all that "a" particular listener is interested in, but that is no different than liking solar windows when they aren't on a house.

Without the original song it's just a random exercises of scales and the Japanese would rule the charts.

#278091 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 pm
Look, I'm not doing this just to rain on a parade here. You guys can all keep posting what the OP asked for to keep it going as much as you want. I was only trying to qualify my response as a songwriter who doesn't spend time listening to covers for anything other than production values.

And do understand why a guitarist who throws in a cool melodic hook should be credited as one of the songwriters. I have always given all members in any bands an even split of a song if they were simply standing in the room when it was written, for example. In songs recorded more than once, I've credited people who added to the original idea. Another artist who changes it after that deserves no credit for the song. I think they can claim cover credit of an arrangement by owning the copyright to their own recorded version?

Is it OK for someone to think that the original idea deserves more honor than a cover version, no matter how great of a cover version it is? Pretty please?
#278124 by MikeTalbot
Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:14 pm
"Thank you gentlemen, that will be all..."

Aside to secretary, "Take 'vehement' out the dictionary, nobody will ever have to look that up again!"

Talbot (donning Kevlar vest and running shoes)
#278144 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:48 pm
george1146561 wrote:I'm also open to taking bets on whether or not there will be some snarky comments about Within Temptation's signature sound not being "original" enough to suit someone's taste.

Oh sheepdip. That's because you already know it isn't original.

Pantera, def leopard, or Judas Priest did this much better in '85, over 30 years previous.
Last edited by t-Roy and The Smoking Section on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#278145 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:52 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:"Thank you gentlemen, that will be all..."

Aside to secretary, "Take 'vehement' out the dictionary, nobody will ever have to look that up again!"

Talbot (donning Kevlar vest and running shoes)

haha...what's the vest for? I'm just having fun tweaking the newbie.

#278163 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:27 am
george1146561 wrote:
yod wrote:
george1146561 wrote:I'm also open to taking bets on whether or not there will be some snarky comments about Within Temptation's signature sound not being "original" enough to suit someone's taste.

Oh sheepdip. That's because you already know it isn't original.

Pantera, def leopard, or Judas Priest did this much better in '85, over 30 years previous.

I went to this website: https://tedpearce.com/music. All I found were derivative versions of better made and better selling CCM songs from people like Amy Grant, Lincoln Brewster, Chris Tomlin, and a bunch of other CCM artists. Every musical cliche of the CCM genre was present, in abundance. Now, there's nothing wrong with recording songs within the parameters of a particular musical genre. There's nothing wrong with writing country songs that sound country, or folk songs that sound folkish, or metal songs that sound metallic. That's why genres of music exist.

But it takes someone with tons of hubris if not downright chutzpah to condemn one of the top selling bands in Europe for sounding like the genre of music that they are a part of, while at the same time selling his own collection of totally derivative rip-offs of the work of other artists in the genre he chooses to be part of.

Doesn't everyone like it when Chris Tomlin plays klezmer music? And don't we all sing along with Amy Grant's "O Hanukah Bush" rendition? You seem kinda butt-hurt, george? Don't think I've claimed anything except being a songwriter with a preference for original songs. Why you be hating' on me? :wink:

And "biggest selling in Europe" is a good reason to chuckle. The biggest song in Germany when I was at Brandenburg Gate New Years Eve party in 2009 was "Take Me Home Country Road" by John Denver? Vest Waginia, mountain mama, take me home country road. Yep, that one. The "B" sides of songs we discarded in the 80s are still huge hits in Belgium & Switzerland. German guitar players are still competing with Iron Maiden.

Darrell Abbot was a friend of mine. We didn't hang out a lot but I produced and/or edited all their video in their glam days. It's funny and painful to watch, if you were ever a fan. Jerry Abbot also produced a record for my band back then and I learned a lot from him. But that was 30 freakin' years ago. I suppose it's a tribute to the genre to still be going after all this time...but I was done with guitar heroes by Nirvana. The guitar solo never really made a comeback, imo. All great solos had been done by the end of the 80s. Everything else is just a copy. We're all derivatives of Chuck Berry.

Hubris, eh? Good name for my next band. 8)