This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#277160 by adam1131815
Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:21 am
In terms of commercial success, it's obvious that Metallica is the leader here, then Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax way in the back.

But when it comes to personal taste, which of the Big Four of thrash is your favorite to listen to?

For me, it goes in this order:

1. Megadeth - I love the other three, but Megadeth rises above them all for one simple reason: their versatility in sound. For thirty years, Mustaine and his crew have tackled all the different angles of their genre with each release, even upsetting many in their fanbase with Cryptic Writings, Risk, and the recent stinker, Super Collider.

But they get credit in my book for at least toying with diversity in their sound and making an effort, especially when they made a comeback in their sound with Endgame and Thirteen.

Also, despite Mustaine's insane ramblings as of late, he's still much more charismatic imo than Hetfield, Araya, or Ian.

2. Metallica - This is the band that started my interest in heavy music ten years ago with One at the age of 12. People rag on them now, and I suppose every metalhead does to an extent once they move on to deeper material, but these guys were the heaviest sounding band to me at the time.

I remember turning on the local Hard Rock station every night just so I could hear their classic hits. Keep in mind that I only had dial up internet at the time, plus it was 2005, so Youtube was in it's infancy, no streaming, etc. I learned to cherish every time one of their tracks came on, as well as other bands from that time period.

I even appreciate much of their 90's material, simply because imo they perfected the hard rock image and sound that they were going for on Load and Reload, and even the Garage Days compilation.

These guys mean a lot to me, even though I've since moved on from them and barely listen to their material anymore, which is partially because they haven't released a studio album in nearly seven years, along with Death Magnetic and St. Anger not catching my attention. They simply don't have the drive and creative ambition they once had, but that's okay, because they once captured a twelve year old me who thought they were the coolest band in the world.

3. Slayer - Easily the heaviest of the four, but also not really innovative. While they produced some of the best thrash out there from Show No Mercy to Seasons of the Abyss, they never really captured my attention the way the top two did.

Plus, like Metallica, they started becoming lazy during the later portion of their career. Even though I enjoy their nu-metal offerings Diabolus In Musica, God Hates Us All, and Christ Illusion, they've lost their edge, and sound completely bored with every song sounding the same, becoming the AC/DC of thrash in that sense.

I'll be listening to Repentless purely for the hype, but I'm not expecting anything mindblowing, especially with Jeff Hanneman dead and Dave Lombardo being fired as well as Kerry King's ego driving the final nails into the coffin of this band.

4. Anthrax - To be completely honest, I only know the greatest hits by these guys, such as I Am The Law, Indians, Antisocial, and Bring The Noise, among others.

I just could never get into their stuff the way I did for the other three. It also doesn't help that they're the least popular of the four, and don't have the amount of material that the other three have put out over the years.

I'm sure I'll chastised by a few here for not knowing Anthrax's catalog from front to back while still calling myself a metalhead, but oh well. Maybe someone can convince to give them another try.

Anyway, there's my favorites of the Big Four. What's yours?
review: country ringtones, pop ringtones
Last edited by adam1131815 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
#277165 by schmedidiah
Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:32 pm
Metallica - sold out

Slayer - so friggin fast and heavy, they give me a headache

Megadeth - 1.5 good albums (Rust In Peace + 1/2 of Peace Sells)

Anthrax - a fun band that's kind of a joke.

Then, there's these guys.

INFECTIOUS GROOVES

https://youtu.be/3Wtkkxdua8c

Enjoy! 8)
#277169 by MikeTalbot
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:26 pm
Adam

I think you nailed it Adam, at least for me. I'm indifferent to Anthrax, don't like Slayer. Love Megadeth and have begun to really like Metallica as well. But I'm a symphonic metal head, Nightwish, Children of Bodom and so on.

cheers
Talbot