This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#276948 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sun May 28, 2017 11:08 am
Wow I can't believe everyone is busting on Dayne so much.
Forget the playing level. He was just trying to share.
I'll share this... Even Mark was excited about a Guild a post ago. When he heard it, he realized it sounded like garbage. Smart move Mark. Not all guitars are created equally. Especially acoustic guitars. String choice and neck tension are so closely related. You can't just put your favorite strings on any acoustic and expect it to sound good.
Even the wood can have a dramatic effect. Would you mind agreeing with me for once, Mark? (smile)

Anything over playing open E , C, G, or A chords moves an acoustic guitar into the area that requires special attention to tempering your tuning. Even a grand piano can not be tuned by putting an electronic tuner on middle C and following up the scale. That sound board is going to change in tension and if you go back to the original middle C... It will b e off.

Dayne... You may like that guitar... I don't think it is the greatest sounding. I got rid of a Howard Roberts because I could not get it to "sing". It just wasn't a great guitar. I tried every combination of strings and neck adjustments I could. Very pretty, but if it doesn't sound great what is the point. On top of that it has to be extremely playable.
I would go find a different guitar. It has to be one that suits your playing needs. It sounds to me, that I would become immediately frustrated with what you are playing.

12 strings.... :lol: Leave me out of it. Beautiful if you have tremendous patience. :lol:

Sad note... Gregg Allman passed yesterday.
#276956 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon May 29, 2017 10:40 am
Glen, did you listen to it?

The last time tuning was brought up it was a little off, but this one is painful and I'm just surprised he can't tell

That's a bigger problem. I really don't think the problem has anything to do with his guitar or intonation.

#276982 by Planetguy
Wed May 31, 2017 8:07 pm
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:Would you mind agreeing with me for once, Mark? (smile)

i have to disagree....i HAVE agreed with you. at LEAST once. :)

12 strings.... :lol: Leave me out of it. Beautiful if you have tremendous patience. :lol:

i have to disagree w you again here, glen. a well set up 12 string w a compensated saddle isn't any big deal to tune. tell ya what.....i'll take tuning those TWELVE strings on a well set up gtr over the EIGHT on a mandolin ANY DAY of the week.

there's a saying that goes mandolin players spend 10% of their time playing and the other 90% tuning. that's about right. 8)
#277012 by MikeTalbot
Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:18 am
It's also possible Dayne has some ear damage, as I do. I blew out my midrange playing a joint in Atlanta back in the eighties. Thank God for E-Tuners. But they are not always accurate, I have the three biggest sellers and I'm still not sure I trust any of them.

I'm referring to the clip on tuners from Korg, Fender et al. I usually tune my guitar through my amp and my bass through an old Korg tuner which gets the job done.

Talbot
#277020 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:54 am
MikeTalbot wrote: Thank God for E-Tuners. But they are not always accurate, I have the three biggest sellers and I'm still not sure I trust any of them.

I'm referring to the clip on tuners from Korg, Fender et al. I usually tune my guitar through my amp and my bass through an old Korg tuner which gets the job done.

Talbot

Yea, agreed. No tuner is going to be perfect. They are just for an A440 reference, then you work with the instrument.

I got a cool little clip-on tuner in London that doubles as a capo. It's never let me down on the bottom 5 strings, but the high E is always needing a little more up to be in tune, and if I don't tune the B string by the open D octave, it just won't sound right.

These things are still a good reference so you can jam with others, or play along to a recording.
#277022 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:27 am
New topic. Tuning your guitar. coming up soon to a neighborhood near you. We have been over this before. :lol:

You can not pull up one string into tune with out changing the tension of all the other strings.

The harmonics on the 12th fret SHOULD be a few cents, (slightly sharp of the open string.)I'm talking extremely slightly.
When you fret that string at the 12th fret it should match that harmonic . If you take an electronic piano and check a tuner against them you will hear what I am talking about.

Electric guitars are great. It is possible to get great tuning without fret buzz. With acoustic guitars, the need for heavy strings to make them"SING" offers a whole new set of problems.
Once you blow past 5th position on an acoustic, it is generally not set up to play lines at 12th position. Even chords at 5th position start to sound crummy, and weak. Open chords, sound awesome.

I guess thats why traditional instruments were not fretted. It allowed a musician to adjust to a bunch of out of tune guitars. :)

Yod... You have done thousands of gigs. I get it. You know how to tune, and put on a great show. Remember the avatar picture you used to use here... Man you are a rockstar...
I don't know where Dayne is coming from. I'm just trying to stop being negative..........
#277027 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:18 pm
Very true about clip-on tuners, some work better than others. I've got a few of the $4 one from Reverb.com, when the battery started to die on one of them, it was way off, but a fresh battery and it was fine again. It also can't do a drop D on a bass, just can't read it accurately. But the mini-Korg I keep on my Taylor's headstock is very good - and more reliable than the Korg Pitchblack pedal, which needs a strong signal to register the note.
And also true regarding open D to the 3rd-fret B string - the open B and 1st fret C will be off that way, so good tuning is about compromise.
Some acoustics DO sound good when capoed on certain frets, it's all about the resonance of the body. My Taylor sounds good capoed on 2, 3 and 4, less so on 5 & 6, not bad on 8 and 9 (but of course no low notes up that high).
#277029 by DainNobody
Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:33 pm
what's truly sad, is how they can take a topic about playing the correct nots for the bridge on Over The Hills and Far Away as shown by my skillful hands and musical prowess and turn it around into a negative trainwreck about guitar tuners? wow! that's all I have to say about it, is just WOW! envy jealousy will get you nowhere in life.. :D :lol: :P :mrgreen: :arrow: hahahaha..ain't heard a reply with a sound clip of anybody provoing they can do that little "bridge" LOL..hahaha ..luvin' it! LOL :( :D :wink: h
#277030 by DainNobody
Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:43 pm
thanks Glen, I see you noticed the negativity oozing from them, what's new ? and we will be patiently waiting for yod's sound clip of the bridge on Over The Hills and Far Away.. this will be good.. :D :? :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:
#277032 by DainNobody
Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:28 pm
ok, just for shits and grins, I decided to use the clip-on tuner, and thanks to you guys I find out my 2nd and 1st strings are needing intonation set, since when I tune it "to itself" the B is flat and the E is flat if I tune it to itself the B and E are needing raised in pitch to sound in tune with itself, the clip-on tuner screen shows these 2 strings sharp..if" tuned to itself" so in actuality you guys are right, but we still know Ted would send me a tuner? I do not see it in the mail yet? or were you just kidding Ted? don't send tuner, I want a substitute of cash so I can take it into Duane at Springfield music to get a set up, ..I will post new results of the practice/lesson shortly 8)

https://www.bandmix.com/dayne-nobody-iv/
#277034 by Planetguy
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:54 pm
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:Well then we come to the agreement... That you will always agree... To disagree with whatever we don't agree on... Now come on... Why can't you simply disagree with that? :)

oh, we had THAT agreement from THE START, no???? :D
#277035 by Planetguy
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:56 pm
Dayne Nobody IV wrote: don't send tuner, I want a substitute of cash so I can take it into Duane at Springfield music to get a set up,

let me suggest you check out one of the guys offering counterfeit money. :)
#277036 by DainNobody
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:58 pm
yod wrote:dude....if you really can't afford a tuner then give me your address.

I mean, they're only about $15

Ted, I do not want to give out my address over the internet.. give me your email address and I promise I will give you my address, so you can get that tuner sent.. :D
#277040 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:11 pm
Dayne Nobody IV wrote:what's truly sad, is how they can take a topic about playing the correct nots for the bridge on Over The Hills and Far Away as shown by my skillful hands and musical prowess and turn it around into a negative trainwreck about guitar tuners? wow! that's all I have to say about it, is just WOW! envy jealousy will get you nowhere in life.. :D :lol: :P :mrgreen: :arrow: hahahaha..ain't heard a reply with a sound clip of anybody provoing they can do that little "bridge" LOL..hahaha ..luvin' it! LOL :( :D :wink: h

When your guitar is so badly out of tune as it was when you recorded that, they are no longer the correct notes. If you could not hear that yourself ... :roll: