This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#276657 by Planetguy
Thu May 18, 2017 1:56 pm
interesting....when asked "what are the most important elements to be teaching students" Sonny went into two interesting raps that were specifically related to the subject of teaching:

1. Plato's assertion that EVERYONE should learn/study music as a way of bettering their grasp of science and mathematics.

2. that there are two distinct groups of "students"......those who are inherently gifted and those not. and that different approaches are required for each.

i was a little disappointed that Sonny wasn't more specific ( he mentioned teaching the rudiments). but the question put to him got me thinking about how I might respond....

obviously there are MANY important areas, but i'd have to say that the most important element to impart is the same one i believe the most important element of every/any genre of music...and that's TIME.

interestingly enough, that is also one the hardest aspect to teach.
#276669 by Planetguy
Thu May 18, 2017 2:52 pm
yod wrote:c'mon....we all know people who should never try. My step mom hurt my ears every time she did.

i dunno, i gotta agree w Plato....afterall he was a fairly bright guy! :D

seriously, i think that as long as people have reasonable and realistic expectations, everyone should get to experience the joys and benefits of making music.

(as long as no animals or small children are hurt)

my take on it is this....we all would like to play B-ball like Michael Jordan, the truth is we never will.....but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself shooting hoops in your driveway! :wink:
#276672 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu May 18, 2017 2:55 pm
Planetguy wrote:
my take on it is this....we all would like to play B-ball like Michael Jordan, the truth is we never will.....but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself shooting hoops in your driveway! :wink:

Nah, that is a waste of time that could be better spent practicing or rehearsing or gigging or even sleeping.

I can be injured playing basketball but not playing Zepplin.
#276674 by Planetguy
Thu May 18, 2017 2:58 pm
you'd rather sleep than shoot hoops?

there's room in my life for both! 'sides all sleep and no hoops makes Mark a bored boy.
#276678 by Planetguy
Thu May 18, 2017 3:02 pm
playing sports has always been a big part of my life. tennis and b-ball especially.

i have a good musician buddy who always shook his head in disbelief that i would put myself in harm's way playing b-ball. but the truth is, at 60 yrs old i have never once had a sports related injury that caused me to miss a gig or practice.
#276682 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu May 18, 2017 5:58 pm
I played QB in a game of TOUCH football about 15 years ago, and the freakin' youth pastor thought it was the Super Bowl and came crashing through the line to throw me to the ground and jump on me. Broke 2 ribs and it hurt for a whole year.

Nie Weider!
#276689 by Planetguy
Thu May 18, 2017 6:18 pm
let that be a lesson to you, ted...you gotta try to avoid religious zealots! :D
#276865 by Planetguy
Tue May 23, 2017 3:28 pm
funny how Sonny Rollins sounds like an old Jewish guy from Brooklyn!