This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#276219 by GuitarMikeB
Mon May 01, 2017 12:50 pm
$14.32/hour???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Work an 8 hour day for less than $120.00? A 6 day week for less than $700 - assuming you are playing 8 hours a day, and not just a few hours each day. Musician unemployment must be rampant in northern Virginia.
#276244 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue May 02, 2017 4:28 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:$14.32/hour???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Work an 8 hour day for less than $120.00? A 6 day week for less than $700 - assuming you are playing 8 hours a day, and not just a few hours each day. Musician unemployment must be rampant in northern Virginia.

Amen, brotha!

I try not to diminish the value of hard work, but that's legalized abuse. They will only get amateurs for that money, and I hope they get a bunch of them.

#276247 by Planetguy
Tue May 02, 2017 5:46 pm
yod wrote:
GuitarMikeB wrote:$14.32/hour???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Work an 8 hour day for less than $120.00? A 6 day week for less than $700 - assuming you are playing 8 hours a day, and not just a few hours each day. Musician unemployment must be rampant in northern Virginia.

Amen, brotha!

I try not to diminish the value of hard work, but that's legalized abuse. They will only get amateurs for that money, and I hope they get a bunch of them.

$14.32/hr....this is the general music section not politics.....i should NOT point out that's about about TWICE the Federal minimum wage to those against raising it!

$14.32/hr....this is the general music section not politics.....i should NOT point out that's about about TWICE the Federal minimum wage to those against raising it!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
#276256 by GuitarMikeB
Tue May 02, 2017 8:30 pm
Planetguy wrote:$14.32/hr....this is the general music section not politics.....i should NOT point out that's about about TWICE the Federal minimum wage to those against raising it!

So are you hopping on a plane to Virginia to audition? Northern Va is not a cheap area to live in. Interestingly, 32 states (including Missouri) have a higher state minimum wage than the Federal one ($7.25).
#276265 by Planetguy
Wed May 03, 2017 12:56 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:
Planetguy wrote:$14.32/hr....this is the general music section not politics.....i should NOT point out that's about about TWICE the Federal minimum wage to those against raising it!

So are you hopping on a plane to Virginia to audition? Northern Va is not a cheap area to live in. Interestingly, 32 states (including Missouri) have a higher state minimum wage than the Federal one ($7.25).

I most certainly am not. Why would I? I try to make at least $100 when loading my equip into the van for a THREE hr gig (or four at truckstop). Just yesterday afternoon i was contacted by a woman who hired me to perform 30 min of solo gtr for $100 at a lunch on Friday. AND they're feeding me!

How many hrs would I have to work at Busch Gardens for that?? Almost seven? Thanks, no.

BTW....MO minimum wage is $7.70/hr. :wink:
#276285 by Badstrat
Wed May 03, 2017 9:32 pm
My son leased one of the songs he sang and recorded to an Ashley Judd scene (background music) and got 8 grand for it. He also leased others to TV shows that used them for background scene music. He also was sponsored by "Red Bull" for some concerts. He got paid a bit more than $14 per hour.

Musicians who play clubs in this area make over $100 a night. But tearing down, loading the gear, hauling, setting up, tearing down again, hauling it back, unloading and setting up for yourself at home is hardly worth a lousy $100 a night to me. But if you enjoy the gigs so much that you would almost be willing to play for free, it's not a bad deal.

I think you should re evaluate your pay scale for musicians.
#276287 by schmedidiah
Wed May 03, 2017 10:15 pm
Social media fiasco. Can you say Brad's wife at Cracker Barrel?! :lol:
#276299 by GuitarMikeB
Thu May 04, 2017 12:28 pm
When you go to the website, the only auditions scheduled for WIlliamsburg, VA are 'costume characters'. From the overall descriptions, looks like they want school/college-age kids.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg has exciting opportunities for skilled instrumentalists proficient in keyboards, percussion, bass, guitar, strings, woodwinds, accordion, and traditional German and Irish instruments. All instrumentalists should have the ability to play varying styles ranging from pop/rock to Motown to gospel to orchestral and must be able to memorize music for shows and perform with great stage presence.
A variety of employment periods are available: Summer (March - September)
Halloween (September - October)
Christmas (November - December)
Day & evening shifts are available, depending on the show.
You must be at least 16 years old at the time of the audition.
Ability to sight read is preferred.
Starting Hourly Pay Rate: $14.32

Prepare for the Audition
Prepare two to three short selections totaling 90 seconds that showcase your technical, lyrical, and improvisational skill.
Remember that we need to see your showmanship in addition to your proficiency on your instrument. Let your personality shine through!
Some applicants may be asked to perform a simple marching maneuver or choreography.
A piano and a standard drum set will be provided at the audition site, but please bring any other instruments you need to the audition.
Auditioning can be a lengthy process; you may be asked to stay for a callback.
Prepare a resume and headshot, which will be retained by the audition team.