This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#274891 by DainNobody
Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:04 am
Kenny G has sold more than 75 million records

SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_G

Kenny G is the biggest-selling instrumental musician of the modern era and one of the best-selling artists of all time, with global sales totaling more than 75 million records.
#274893 by DainNobody
Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:06 am
how much more tasteful than this can a musician get?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgI1FX00Igw
#274900 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:02 am
thememphizmonkz wrote:Pat Betheny - 45 recording...20 million. lol. Who's laughing now?

Shows just how little NotReady knows about music. It's METHENY, fool!

But anyone who likes Kenny G's elevator music probably goes to Yanni shows, too!
#274903 by schmedidiah
Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:06 am
did this seriously just happen? :lol:
#274914 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:27 pm
"sappy instrumental music" - perfect description. I've seen clips of Yanni on stage with old ladies in the audience throwing their grannie bloomers at him. I bet NotReady gets off on that.

And NotReady still can't get it right. 4 albums, and I've sold plenty of them (no returns) - compared to him, making no REAL music, having nothing but bad phone recordings of him and his lonely casio.
#274921 by Planetguy
Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:41 pm
there are always going to be people who confuse POPULARITY with QUALITY.

what does it prove that Kenny G, Taylor Swift, so called "Reality TV", or rap music is POPULAR????

only that there is, and will always be a market for mindless dumbed down product.

there will always be a bigger market for "Reality TV" than for Masterpiece Theatre. more people will consume corndogs than they will filet mignon, and more people will drink Miller Light than will drink a fine single malt scotch.

popularity does not equal quality. and Kenny G's dumbed down, vapid, and shallow elevator music for the masses proves exactly that.
#274923 by DainNobody
Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:55 pm
I wonder if Kenny G would agree with you p-guy? :)
#274924 by Planetguy
Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:03 pm
i suspect there's a good chance he would. i doubt he's stupid. he identified that there's a market for his dumbed down product and made a ton of money exploiting that. so, if nothing else he's a savvy businessman who knows how to make a buck.

i also doubt that he has any delusions of his music being art or even "jazz". that link you posted is a perfect example. a static straight eight note vamp over repetitious drum machine and keyboard bass? that's instrumental pop music and has no resemblance to "jazz".

amazing how many people see a saxophonist playing instrumental music and they assume it's "jazz". nah. not so.
#274928 by DainNobody
Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:54 pm
I don't know, both artist's music serves a purpose.. if I need to relax, Kenny G music has a way of melting the stress and mental strain away instantaneously.. if I am dozing off and need a quick pick-me-up Pat Metheny music will tend to perk me up more so than Kenny G.. both serve a purpose and we do not know if Kenny is just holding back to embrace the tastes of his fans.. he deliberately plays more with a groove and smoother to satisfy his fans.. it's not that he could be technically more advanced, he chooses not to.. :)
#274930 by Planetguy
Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:07 pm
Dayne Nobody IV wrote:it's not that he could be technically more advanced, he chooses not to.. :)

i'm guessing you meant to say:

"it's not that he couldN'T be technically more advanced, he chooses not to"

that begs the question...how do you know that he could be?

i first heard/saw Kenny Gorelick a few times yrs ago when he was still playing w The Jeff Lorber Fusion.

JL later got more commercial and mainstream, and he was doing some of that more "commercial" music stuff back then, but they also played some more challenging stuff w interesting changes and feels.... "real jazz" and brazilian stuff.

....and KG could not come close to hanging w JL or even the bass player in terms of navigating the changes....all he could do was play his dead simple pentatonic licks and his cliched circular breathing (held notes).
and as Metheny noted...his intonation was terrible.

as for mood music...yeah, i get that. people used to anesthetize themselves w the dumbed down sounds of Manotovani and The 1000 Strings....now they do it w Yanni, Zamfir, and KG. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz