This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#276744 by DainNobody
Fri May 19, 2017 1:19 pm
http://www.cantontxedc.com/first-monday

we are approx. 1/20 the size of these guys..do the math
#276757 by GuitarMikeB
Fri May 19, 2017 8:46 pm
That's nuts! How many vendors? How much acreage does this take up?
Parking that many cars (10000 people at 2/car, 250 cars/acre) would take up 20 acres alone.
#276762 by DainNobody
Fri May 19, 2017 11:05 pm
do you really think the "pickers" stay all day taking up car space? I am there at 5 AM generally when I am just shopping or setting up, but generally gone by 9:30 AM ..I guess if you don't believe me you can call Butch ? he will have the gate receipts. ph. (417) 849-0325
#276764 by DainNobody
Fri May 19, 2017 11:14 pm
this is old news but probably under the real numbers? LOL

Swap Meet Magazine - May 2016 by Martin Stevens (page 96) - issuu
https://issuu.com/retailersforum/docs/s ... ay_2016/96
Apr 29, 2016 - Free magazine for flea market and swap meet vendors nationally. ... 1-44 SWAP MEET JUNE THRU DECEMBER. SOUTHWEST MISSOURI'S LARGEST! 300 VENDORS • 10,000-15,000 AVERAGE WEEKLY ATTENDANCE BUYERS ... 417-864-6508 417-864-4340 Springfield, MO Northtown Flea Market.

but since it runs only Saturday and Sunday? ..when I first moved here in 1992 me and Daisy would go on Mondays, closed Monday down 15-20 years ago..LOL
#276766 by DainNobody
Fri May 19, 2017 11:26 pm
there is noting funner with keeping your pants on than getting to the swap meet and it's still dark, roaming around with a flashlight looking for treasure on the cheap.. nothing funner than meeting others with same interests, I met Lynyrd of all places at Fair Play swap meet on Tuesdays.. invited to open mics at the Golden Lounge among other defunct "bars" from people I have met at swap meets.. been asked to give a lady's son guitar lessons in Willard by a passer-by a great looking lady that admired my playing on guitar enought to at least enquire, been asked several times for a "business card" so they can make contact at a later dayte to do music, I don't have a business card, been scolded for not having a tip jar out a dozen times.. just last Sunday I impressed a 16-20? y/o kid doing ghost bends ans 2-octave bends with trills enough he wanted to jam with me in the future..I am going on 62 and not really in the mood to do nothing but play for $200.00 FOR A 4 HOUR NIGHT OF PLAYING WITH BREAKS.. I might consider $150.00 a night as I did when Jesse Cole James promised me that but did not deliver.. my ego is so small I do not HAVE TO BE IN THE LIMELIGHT to have fun and enjoy life with or without a guitar in my hands.. I am self-actualized now..LOL
#276767 by DainNobody
Fri May 19, 2017 11:33 pm
all you have to do is listen to Master Baiter on my BandMix player and say to yourself, damn that dude smokes! and then you won't be wondering why I get requests all the time at swap meets when I get the time to play.. like I said before, too many watching and looking at your merch and asking questions does not leave much time to play most of the day there, and thievery is commonplace anymore if you ain't keeping an eye on your smalls.. :D :lol: 8)
#276773 by GuitarMikeB
Sat May 20, 2017 12:51 pm
All I can say is that things sure are different out in the midwest and near-west than here on the east coast.

By the way, you can't do a 1 octave or 2 octave BEND on a guitar, just a physical impossibility.
#276776 by DainNobody
Sat May 20, 2017 5:32 pm
Mike you probably have bigger flea markets/swap meets there in Boston than we do here.. why don't you come out this summer and we will rent a "space" for $15.00 on Sundays $10.00 on Saturdays and let 5,000 people pass by us whuile we have out tip jars out.. there is a fiddler and his wife that busk regularly I have seen many cash notes in his open case and he ain't hald f bad either, his wife or partner? tends the selling part he does the music end of it...
#276797 by Planetguy
Sun May 21, 2017 2:41 pm
the flow of conversations here, just as in day to day life go where there go..i get that.

but if we're done discussing how much i am or aren't making on my gigs, and the attendance of swap meets...perhaps we might return to the subject of PRACTICE. :D

i'd like to address this notion of learning and practicing the academic nuts and bolts stuff.. and then putting all that practice room stuff aside on the bandstand to shoot from the hip and play intuitively. (of course, this is a lot more relevant to non scripted playing....."improvising" if you will....where everything isn't all mapped and instead you have to react in the moment and for lack of a better word....converse.)

that's a notion that gets a lot of traction with improving musicians. "if you think-you stink".

my take on that is that it's largely over romanticized and isn't all that accurate. not for me anyway. yeah, it's great being spontaneous and in the moment when improvising (that's ALWAYS my goal) and i certainly don't want to sound like i'm playing a calculated and worked out solo.

but the truth of the matter is that if i'm soloing over an Am7 vamp....being aware of all the "formula" and "nuts and bolts" mechanics.....the 'RULES"....well, that ALLOWS me to be MORE spontaneous and gives me a bigger well to draw from!

when playing over Am7 i like knowing and exploiting that i can tap into the academic stuff and the knowledge i've put together, like..."gee, i can draw out some cool stuff using the extensions that Bm7 presents" or i can superimpose a 3+3+2 hemiola over this 4/4 time signature....any of the other "left brain" stuff.

no, you don't want to sound TOO calculated and it IS a fine line to tread, but i hear that left brain thinking all the time when i listen to many great soloists like Coltrane, Oliver Nelson, Wes Montgomery Gary Burton, Chick Correa, etc...and yeah......even Sonny Rollins. 8)
#276802 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sun May 21, 2017 8:27 pm
Planetguy wrote:.being aware of all the "formula" and "nuts and bolts" mechanics.....the 'RULES"....well, that ALLOWS me to be MORE spontaneous and gives me a bigger well to draw from!

Amen, brutha

It requires a lot of practice to get to that point, and then the band needs lots of rehearsal to get to the point where all flow together.

#276813 by DainNobody
Mon May 22, 2017 2:23 am
there is absolutely no way in hell a pickup band could gel instantaneously "jamming" on Karn Evil 9 without a LOT of rehearsalsl
#276816 by GuitarMikeB
Mon May 22, 2017 12:19 pm
Dayne Nobody IV wrote:there is absolutely no way in hell a pickup band could gel instantaneously "jamming" on Karn Evil 9 without a LOT of rehearsalsl

Well that just goes back to what I said umpteen pages ago - it's all about the genre/music style.

Dayne Nobody IV wrote:Mike you probably have bigger flea markets/swap meets there in Boston than we do here.. why don't you come out this summer and we will rent a "space" for $15.00 on Sundays $10.00 on Saturdays and let 5,000 people pass by us whuile we have out tip jars out.. there is a fiddler and his wife that busk regularly I have seen many cash notes in his open case and he ain't hald f bad either, his wife or partner? tends the selling part he does the music end of it...

Nope. There are some smallish once-a-month Sunday flea markets around in the rural areas. And some full-time ones in old warehouse buildings, but nothing resembling that size.
#276826 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon May 22, 2017 6:59 pm
Jookeyman wrote:I'll wrap up my input to this thread w/ a little story that actually occurred this past Thursday night. If this doesn't hit the nail on the head..............

Went to a Jazz/Blues show
Jooks

Well there you go.

Jazz /blues songs mostly follow a structure that has been standard for what...a century at least?

Yea, I can walk into any blues bar and jam with any band. Do it all the time, in fact earlier this week in Tel Aviv.

But you could not follow me onstage without rehearsals, though I'm playing much less challenging songs of a different genre. You could with a rehearsal.