This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#273739 by john1175727
Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:22 am
I grew up on arena rock, hair metal, and contemporary country -- with a healthy smattering of top 40 pop. I graduated high school in 1992, just as my beloved hairband scene was being killed by grunge. Over the years, I did expand, getting into Blues, the Stones, and Sinatra.

At age 39, I discovered I was bored with music. A few months back, for whatever reason, I listened to Temple of the Dog, one of the few grunge albums I loved back in the day but haven't touched in almost 20 years. It held up so well that I thought I would sample some stuff I didn't know from the era: Mudhoney's Superfuzz Bigmuff and the Green River CD.

Mind. Blown.

So much raw energy. I ended up revisiting Nirvana and appreciating it so much more than I did when it was Top 40.

Following that experience and a reading of Patti Smith's superb Just Kids, I felt inspired to take a look into Punk and its antecedents (Stooges, MC5, Dolls, Dictators, etc). So for the last three weeks, I have immersed myself in the discovery of all kinds of punk and punk-inspired music. (although strangely not The Clash yet) I have been watching documentaries and punk-era movies, following albums of all kinds on spotify and youtube, and just yesterday picked up my first two books on the subject.

And I love it. There's so much variety of sounds and themes. So much energy. It's so RAW. (I know I already used that word before, but I can't help it.) So much to discover - I haven't even scratched the surface of what's out there.

I don't know that people get into something like punk in their later years. But all I know is: I have enjoyed music more in the last two months than I have for the last 20 years.

Tags: song closer lyrics, black beatles song lyrics, cold water lyrics
Last edited by john1175727 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
#273747 by schmedidiah
Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:06 pm
Good stuff. Don't forget, all things Seattle lead back to the masters..... The Melvins!

:wink:

Here's my favorite punk album lately. The simple instrumentation. The space between everything that would normally be filled with Marshall stacks on most of what's called punk these days.

https://scavengerofdeathrecords.bandcamp.com/album/unending-darkness