This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#270182 by Planetguy
Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:09 pm
RGMixProject wrote:All great stuff but I wanna know how you found old Jimmy Hendrix tracks on the Mandolin

i could tell ya ....but then.........
#270184 by DainNobody
Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:19 pm
purple haze mandolin :D

or maybe a guy on microdot? :D

set his mind free :lol:
#270200 by DainNobody
Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:13 am
Planetguy wrote:Most excellent team playing there Jook.

Not that anything that I had played on the mando and dobro was "all that".... but i give you big points for the respect and space that you played with to allow that previous stuff to breathe and maintain it's own place in the hierarchy.

Then again....that's exactly what i would expect from you...not slathering and spraying YOUR stuff on what was already there.

Nice job...way to move things forward!

what are you indirectly saying out of the side of your mouth planetguy? mthe slathering spraying comment? since you hogged up literally the whole soundscape what did you expect? I assume you are saying I shitted up your good mandolin work? is that what you mean? :roll:
#270207 by DainNobody
Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:47 am
who knows why memphis1 believes that? maybe he sees something everybody is overlooking? I don't know.. I know one thing, you guys are hard on him for no reason.. I could see it if he was spamming the board, but you guys are speaking disrespectfully to him just because he is approaching the music business differently than others..if he was breaking the forum rules I could see all you guys contempt for memphis, but I see no rules he has broken..
#270214 by Jahva
Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:21 am
That was a cool piece folks!! Love the groove of it. Bottom kicked arse and the strings over top... nice!
The mando and slide climbing together (3:10 spot) was exo-lent!
#270225 by Planetguy
Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:46 pm
glad you dug it, Jahva! That was a drum trk RG generously offered up to Schmed to have some fun with.

Schmed then overdubbed the keyboard bass part and chopped/edited it all up. Then he invited Cajun Daddy, Jook, and I to each drop a lead gtr part into it. After awhile when neither of them jumped in or expressed interest....I added the mando and dobro parts. And then Jook dropped in that cool little rhythm part that really gooses things along and ties things together.

Jookeyman wrote:
Planetguy wrote:Not that anything that I had played on the mando and dobro was "all that".... but i give you big points for the respect and space that you played with to allow that previous stuff to breathe and maintain it's own place in the hierarchy.

Thank you Bro! Sorry for getting up into your register a bit but I wanted the guitar to weave in and out dynamically w/ the mandolin. 8)

Nah....you played nothing that stepped on any toes and it actually sounded like musicians playing in the room together. There's zero whiff of you trying to get yer rocks off w a bunch of random stuff tossed off with no thought of interplay. Exactly the opposite.

Great teamwork, Jook!
#270230 by DainNobody
Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:30 pm
if you want to hear another version jahva, go to my page, production.. quality of sound recording is less, but at least some of the recklessness and wild abandon has been smoothed out a little :D
#270262 by Jahva
Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:34 am
Dayne Nobody IV wrote:if you want to hear another version jahva, go to my page, production.. quality of sound recording is less, but at least some of the recklessness and wild abandon has been smoothed out a little :D

Yeah man work on that production had to turn the bass way down on my speakers... but the slide (that's you right?) nice!
It's feel like you're competing at times with PG's mando... but you still hit some nice spots! 8)
#270263 by DainNobody
Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:48 am
that's the thing, I was trying to play harmonic passages on top of PG, but he has other thoughts about that, I was not trying to take anything away from him, maybe he ought to send a chart next time on how he envisions it.. was not real happy how he "let me know" his displeasure about it, a simple "don't think it's working Dayne" would been better ..I overplayed somewhat, but then everybody could trim some stuff off a tiny bit too, imo :)
#270264 by Jahva
Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:36 am
Yeah over the years of trying to do online colabs... I found the biggest obstacle can be communications. But it's the most important thing we possess imo.
The other version did sound like a band just working through the piece...
If the piece was already laid out with the mado and you want to add to it shouldn't the "add" be the mustard and mayo... not the pattie. :wink:
From what I've heard of your playing you know what you're doing enough to know when to get in when to get out... trust that part of you and know when you're the driver and when you're the passenger or giving direction. No point or fun in stepping on each other. And everyone gets to drive sometime... maybe not this time but sometime. :|
Chit I don't mind someone doing the heavy lifting... give me 12 seconds of space and I'll do what I can with it. Wait make that 8 seconds!
8)
#270279 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:12 pm
Online collaborations? Sorry guys, they sound fine for what they are - which is just jams. A real collaboration features a lot of back-and-forth work, changes to original tracks, discussions to make things mesh. Otherwise you do get the 'stepping on each other' syndrome.
#270282 by schmedidiah
Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:53 pm
I get plenty of "stepping over each other" syndrome with our current players in the same room! :lol:

Hence, that's why I record several hours to get 5 - 20 minutes of useable material.