This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#257514 by Badstrat
Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:25 am
Unyuns

I was chopping onions for some taco meat. I was using a new ceramic knife and it was so enjoyable using that new knife that I started muttering to myself about it.. or was I talking to the onions? So I guess the onions inspired this song. I recorded it this Friday.just for the main components so I could work with it later, but I thought it came out OK enough to post..

The song comes in through the back door. I wasn't sure what to do for a ride so I just put this one down. I'm not sure if I should add a bass line, because just I love the sound of two guitars marching through a song as if they own it.

Unyuns
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13346049
#257519 by RGMixProject
Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:43 am
Disclaimer;
Remember those simple times of flipping a vinyl record over? I love all things music, oh yes. All my reviews are merely my opinion that I feel fall into the mainstream commercial Top 40 radio airplay genre. I use only top grade playback equipment.
My Review of your song;

I like it... The whole track is based on some good solid guitar work, drums sat nicely in the background, not doing too much, providing a nice laid back "shuffle blues" rhythm. A few squeaks here and there, but I like that raw edge within!

It's a good overall production and mix. Perhaps consider using a bass guitar?

Fun lyrics however, I could tell right away the unsure melodic structure of the vocal phrasing. This song I could listen to in tailbacks, after a stressful day. in fact, it's damn near a masterpiece! I am a big fan of rocking blues and when you polish this up and post it, you got my dollar.
#257529 by DainNobody
Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:56 pm
Slacker, got to listen to 28 seconds, and what I heard was great!.. love the crock pot, and by coincidence I guess, I had a bad encounter with onions just last night, slicing it and it making my eyes water profusely.. I prep the carrots, celery, onions and garlic around 8 PM then put the chicken thighs and add water and cumin , pepper, around 11 PM and go to bed waking up for meals for the whole day.. :D
#257554 by Badstrat
Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:17 pm
Thanks RG & Dane,.

I am really thankful that a few musicians found this raw mix acceptable! :)

It was fun recording this one. I am going to do over the vocals and try a different EQ so I can add a bass line to one version. These vocals were a bit rough because I was distracted between reading them, singing them, and playing one of the guitar tracks at the same time. I hadn't had the time to even learn the lyrics as I just wanted to get this idea down so I that wouldn't forget anything. As is, I like just the two guitars tromping all over in the background. I am rockabilly by nature and that genre usually lives in my head. I'm really glad that someone liked it. I had a lot of laughs over it while I was putting it down on the DAW.

My best friend and bass player / singer of 38 years died on the last day of Dec or the first day of Jan during the middle of the night of this year. I would love to have had him around to sing this song.

Speaking of flipping Vinyl... I put a spoken "Please turn CD over for side two". on the end of my CD.
I also made a CD a while back that had a needle clicks and pops from the beginning of an LP and at the end where the needle skated to the center and just kept clicking as they do when playing a LP. A disk jockey friend of mine recorded those FX for me. I'm sure it makes the "purists" feel a bit better to stir up fond vinyl memories.

Dane,

My onions ended up in a chicken taco meat mix this last time because my daughter prefers chicken to beef.. I also used hind quarters. Finger pickers must think alike at times :) Today I get to chop more onions for beef. But I'm going to try not obsessing over my food this time around.
#257616 by schmedidiah
Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:11 pm
Loved the song, Slacker. Make sure you let us know when you get the updated version up.

I cut so many onions at restaurant jobs as a teenager that I usually don't get affected by an odd onion here or there. Built up a tolerance.
I cut a bit of purple onion every day for my salad. Much easier on the eyes than white or yellow.

Now we gotta get Jookie to put his "Satied Onions" song back up. Is that sauteed? I was never sure. :D
#257623 by Badstrat
Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:45 pm
Schmedidiah,

Thanks Schmed. I certainly will do that. Funny but while I was recording it I had in mind that it was something you would like. It just seemed like your kind of song to me for some reason. Maybe because it could be done on acoustic.

RG, I forgot to thank you for your critique I appreciate that. You needn't pay for anything of mine. I generally have to pay people to take my CD's.

One time I was playing a song on my soundclick site called "I only Miss You When it Rains".( http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12959391 ) A car wash attendant asked to hear it so I handed him my MP3 player. He said he really liked it. I asked if he wanted the CD that it was on and he said he would, so I gave a copy to him.

A week later I stopped by to wash my scooter and he came over to me. I asked him if he liked it. He told me that he and a friend had listened to it. He said his friend said that the singer sounded like a drunk singing Karaoke in a bar. I thought, wow! He actually thought I was good enough to get drunk and sing in front of people on a stage! I found that to be really encouraging.

I had another friend who had a band years ago. He said his band went to a club to play a gig and after two songs the bar patrons took up a collection to pay them to go home so that they could listen to the juke box. Playing music can really be ruthless at times.
#257626 by schmedidiah
Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:58 pm
:D

I love playing acoustic, but it's not my strong point. That was just a wedding photo that I had in my avatar for so long. You can check out my stuff on my Bandmix player, but just be ready to turn it down. :mrgreen:
#257720 by J-HALEY
Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:48 pm
Very nice Slacker! It reminds me of Mark Knoffler and Dier Straits a little!
#257837 by Badstrat
Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:47 pm
Thank you fellow Musicos.,

I just made a cleaned up version of it and added a bass line to it. :)
#257984 by Badstrat
Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:18 pm
jookeyman,

"So you're a Honky-Tonk player. Cool!!"

Well basically I'm a finger picker that sometimes plays "honky Tonk" I really am a rockabilly leaning guitar picker.when I'm not fingerpicking. I play a bit of everything. Picker of most genres but master of none as it is said. I have all manner off stuff at my Soundclick page. I only write songs and sing them so that I can have fun playing the guitar rides that I put into them. Here is what I do most of the time.

Guitar Videos

Don't think Twice .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFoHY_RtI7k

Windy & Warm ...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX2LUwG2CwU

Your welcome concerning the Echoplex info. I used them for years but when good digital FX came on the market I found them good enough for what I play.. Those Echoplex units were gold in the day and quite a few musicians still won't discard them for their warm analog sound. At the end of "Unyuns" I just played the notes to imitate an echo Then I added a little muddy tone to it in order to make it sound ,more like an echo FX..
#257986 by DainNobody
Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:28 pm
Slacker, I still go to your sound-click page for inspiration, although i know I will never get to your level of playing, it still gives me hope, and most importantly, solace in knowing, "I am what I am", and in the contentment knowing this.. :o
#258010 by Badstrat
Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:48 pm
Right on Dane.

You just have to do what you do. There will always be guitar players better and there will always be guitar players that are worse. It should never be about comparisons, rather it should be for the creative enjoyment that you get from being a musician. I hear musicians that aren't very gifted who occasionally play a lick I wished I had discovered You truly can learn something from any musician. Comparisons don't amount to much in the long run. Some musician magazines have those "Best Guitar Player" write ins. More often than not the most highly skilled musicians don't even make the list while some wankers do make it. Go figure.

I love the feeling I get when I am first recording a project and a few tracks begin to come together. Like any love affair, it is the chase that stimulates me. When it's done and mastered it is move on time. After that the imperfections nag at me because I'll never get anything down perfect... Just like when you get married. I don't even enjoy listening to any of my projects after they have been mastered.