This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#11303 by JJW III
Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:33 am
Jampy wrote:I must say I am guilty, I have nothing in my profile, and I posted a "help wanted" sign..shame on me :cry:

But I am working on changing that and hope to have some "rough" content up soon for all of you to listen to and hate or love it.

I think that with positive feedback for the more mature posters you'll find more people wanting to post content, but simply trashing people that are new to this forum and maybe new to posting or creating digital media is a waste of both your time and there effort. I am not saying I have seen this happen here but I am sure it does happen.

I try to stay positive about not having any content I make no excuse for it and I am working on changing that aspect of use on this forum, but I don't think it will make me any better or more legit that any other member here..

Just my 2 cents

Jampy allow me to speak on this topic and offer "my" opinion. Posting content can be detrimental too. I have found alot of one dimensional thinking with musicians. Those who post content are sometimes at a disadvantage because even if it's good, the person checking it out goes "Well they/he/she is not the genre/style etc. of music I am looking for". They are only interested in what is, not what can be. I am not out to insult anyone but that is the vast majority of my experience.

I had a producer contact me who has worked with pros and tell me he was a huge fan of my playing and said "Your stuff is really rough, but you have alot of potential. If your pulling that stuff out of your ass, I can imagine what you can do with the right tools". I told him "No kidding my stuff is rough, it's all one take written on the fly, what do you expect?" And that is my point. He was able to look past what is, and see what could be.

As for myself I like to hear something. I don't care how bad the recording is since I am not judging that. I am strictly interested in what can be, and am only interested in potential. The composition is really of no importance either. I can tell if some one is good whether they are playing and acoustic piece, or electric, metal, classical whatever and even a jam of no organization is fine with me. For a drummer just a drum jam is enough for me.

Potential, that is all "I" am looking for and that can only be achieved from posted content.

#11304 by Jampy
Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:48 am
Ah, what a fresh and honest view.

I really don't care what people think of my content when I post it, it is not up for review just to listen and enjoy or leave it. I am by far my worse critic so no one could speak as harshly to me as I do to myself.

You thoughts do prove one valid point, many people are into music and many people play music, but do they ever really stop and "listen" to it.

Thanks for your great reply..

#11305 by JJW III
Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:55 am
Jampy wrote:Ah, what a fresh and honest view.

I really don't care what people think of my content when I post it, it is not up for review just to listen and enjoy or leave it. I am by far my worse critic so no one could speak as harshly to me as I do to myself.

You thoughts do prove one valid point, many people are into music and many people play music, but do they ever really stop and "listen" to it.

Thanks for your great reply..

I am very interested to hear what you about. You may want to look into Acid Planet. You can post your stuff and then people review and rate it. The cool thing is everyone is pretty nice because if they hammer you on your stuff, you can go and hammer them so everyone is pretty cordial.

Here check out my profile. By the way I am not trying to jam you into checking out my stuff, but by going to my profile you can see how it is setup and how you can do your own. Best is it's totally free.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=286989&T=8251

#11308 by Jampy
Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:34 am
Very cool, never seen that site before and it looks pretty good, check out some of your tunes, I must say I enjoyed them all.

:D
#11563 by Employee No 9
Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:33 pm
I'm new to the site but have already found it rare to have someone post recordings. It's a little disappionting. Especially how affordable it is these days to pick up SOME equipment and lay something down. I understand that one can struggle financially, but if you're on here, you have to have a pc. And if you have a pc, then you should be knocking on the door towards making some simple recordings with some affordable software. Just my opnion. Don't mean to rag on anybody.

As far as pigeonholeing yourself when you post some music... I don't think it's neccesarily bad to be focused on a certain genre. You have to pick something. You have to start somewhere. Musical styles are adaptable in alot of cases. Just look for the possibilities. -eric

#11565 by jimmydanger
Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:09 pm
I've had a music sample on my profile since I joined but have yet to hear any feedback from members on this site.

#11607 by Paleopete
Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:12 pm
I've noticed this too, I started checking out this site and a few others in an effort to locate a band, I'm primarily a guitar player and itching to get back onstage. I just got a file uploaded to my profile, going to see if I can get something else ready to go pretty soon, I think it would be helpful to have something in there bands can listen to if they're looking for musicians. I'd like to hear the bands I'm looking at when I look through the profiles in my area too, that would be helpful I think.

I'm reminded of a phone call in San Antonio to a band that placed an ad in a local paper. We started discussing specific songs, I was telling the fellow if I could play this one or that, then I realized my Peavey Patriot and Fender Champ were right beside me. I turned on the Champ, set the volume fairly low and just started playing a few seconds of the ones I could play, the guy loved that. He told me he wished everybody he called had done that. It gave him the chance to see I really could play, and he set up an audition. After the actual audition, the band wanted to hire me, but metal is not my bag. I told them that up front, but we all wanted to meet and jam anyway, and it was fun but in the end just not my cup of tea.

The point though, is that being able to let him hear me on the phone got me in the door...seems like the same should be true for online ads.

#11616 by RhythmMan
Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:32 pm
When a new artist calls me on the phone, I almost always play something for them over the phone.
It's saved me hours and hours of wasted time . . .

#11619 by Mike Gentry
Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:30 pm
Wegman, I agree so I have samples of different styles or genre of playing in my profile. It's easy these days to record youself as there are a lot of good free programs to be found. All of my guitar samples in my profile were recorded using free software. I have more recordings than I have space to post them.

#11902 by Gorfalamu
Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:50 pm
Phrail,

I listened to your tracks, particularly liked the first two. We're totally different genres; I'm old school blues harp but I hear some really tasty stuff in your melody and lead examples. Best of luck to you and kudos for posting your samples.

Cheers,
Gorf

#11948 by RhythmMan
Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:06 pm
And because of that Sound Recorder, there is NO excuse for non-posters.
My first few posts were done that way, but the WAV files are pretty big.
MP3 is the way to go, once you can afford it .
All my current postings are MP3s.
It's too bad BandMix only allows you 5MB w/out charging you, though.
You sure can't post many songs w only 5 MB, - unless you go with 22KHz . . .

#11967 by Paleopete
Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:29 pm
It's too bad BandMix only allows you 5MB w/out charging you, though.

I'm showing 15MB. You might want to check again, maybe they changed it since you joined or you mis-read it.

Used: 2,162.98 KB | Available: 13,197.02 KB

Copied that from my profile's upload page.

#11969 by jimmydanger
Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:22 pm
Yes I think they increased it from 5 to 15 a little while ago. When I first joined there was only room for one of my tracks; I've posted three more and there's still 3 mb left.

#11975 by RhythmMan
Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:42 pm
Hey, how about that!
You're right: 15MB. This increase must have just happened.
It's been 5 MB ever since I joined, a few years back.
The last time I checked was when I uploaded "Folks I Knew (If You Catch Me Crying)," what 2-3 weeks back? (I had a post about it, "Putting it on the Line.")
Well, what do you know - Bandmix did a good thing.
Thanks, Bandmix.