This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#255453 by Planetguy
Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:47 pm
i played a solo gtr gig yesterday at a local winery....OUTSIDE.

it got to around 74 degrees! i can't remember the last time i played a gig outside in Mid MO in FEBRUARY. oh, wait...yes it can....NEVER!!!

here's a cpl of photos a friend snapped off w her phone.

#255471 by Planetguy
Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:10 pm
jookeyman wrote:Is that a Goden??
How does it project?

it's a Godin Mulitiac nylon string. it's got a piezo in the brdg and a condensor mic under the sound board. i usually run about 75% mic and 25% of the piezo for a little "cut".

it's a semi hollow w no sound holes and does have some suprising acoustic volume. it plays fantastic and best of all....plugged in....it sounds like an acoustic nylon string. you can get pretty loud w it before it starts howling.

the other gtr w it's back to the camera is my Eastman 803 CE 15....a very nice solid topped archtop w a Kent Armstrong p/u and a super comfy 15" bout.

i always bring the Godin for the classical and brazilian stuff..... and bring along an archtop for the jazz.
#255472 by Planetguy
Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:14 pm
Mr_Igor wrote:Nice scene!
No sound gear, just a guitar and a gazebo!
Cool gig!

yeah, it was my first time there. super nice place out in the middle of nowhere w nothing else around.....a pretty idylic pond behind me w some ducks and white geese swimming around.

for gear....just the two gtrs and my Deluxe Reverb. (Roland Cube 60 on the side for backup just in case....i can never trust any tube amp enough not to have backup)
#255477 by schmedidiah
Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:41 am
I lusted over a Cordoba Gypsy Kings guitar that had a mic and pickup set up with blend. It was $1000. I settled for a $400 Iberian model. Pickup only. Blows. :?
#255499 by Planetguy
Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:31 pm
jookeyman wrote:
Planetguy wrote:
jookeyman wrote:Is that a Goden??
How does it project?

it's a Godin Mulitiac nylon string. it's got a piezo in the brdg and a condensor mic under the sound board. i usually run about 75% mic and 25% of the piezo for a little "cut".

Cool setup!! 8)
So you have two 1/4s out for stereo output?? Or is it one 1/4 out w/ vol. control for each separate PU??

it has a mono 1/4" out and a mono XLR out. there are 5 sliders: master volume, a blend for the two p/u options, and sandwiched in between them is a three band graphic EQ.

oddly enough the EQ goes left to right.... treble/mid/bass! how's THAT for counterintuitive???!?!!! damn wacky Canadians!
#255500 by Planetguy
Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:36 pm
schmedidiah wrote:I lusted over a Cordoba Gypsy Kings guitar that had a mic and pickup set up with blend. It was $1000. I settled for a $400 Iberian model. Pickup only. Blows. :?

"Iberian"??? as in Ibanez? :lol:

yeah, that Cordoba (and a few of their other models) was one of the many gtrs i checked out the day i bought the GODIN. it was a saturday afternoon, so there were a few folks milling around at Music Folk (a very cool shop in St. Louis) and after playing half a dozen or so different gtrs, i finally got around to plugging in the Godin....i hit a few notes and everyone in the store goes..."YEAH, THAT'S THE ONE!". it was really pretty funny.
#255503 by schmedidiah
Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:53 pm
No, Cordoba Iberian. :roll:
#255505 by Planetguy
Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:09 pm
jookeyman wrote:
I'm thinking about installing a second PU in my big Guild flattop. I already have the PU. I used to run it in my Madeira so I could keep 2 different tunings handy to cut down on tuning time between songs.

It's a soundhole Fishman that I can permanently install, if I like. I have a Fishman piezo in the bridge w/ all the bells and whistles but I don't like it. I have to run it through a Dyna-Comp to keep it from getting buzzy. The soundhole PU doesn't have this problem. I'm thinking about taking it to my buddy and have it installed permanently so I'll have 2 1/4s out. I can run one through the Roland and one through the house PA.

funny, i'm toying w the idea of installing a second set of p/u's (dual piezos) into my Paris Swing "gypsy" for a little more "acoustic tone".

w that batcave soundhole (Grande Bouche) soundhole p/u's weren't really an option so i installed a LACE Sensor dobro p/u that i had laying around onto a little walnut mount that's att. to a top brace. (see pics)

being a straight up magnetic p/u it's not really an "acoustic" tone when ya start pushing much volume but it's sorta reminiscent of that cutting tone Django got when he played electric. (sadly my playing and chops bear NO resemblance to Django's)

you can hear the gtr w the LACE p/u here:

https://soundcloud.com/planetguy-1/birks-works-paris-swing