This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#246426 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:59 am
Somewhere around the end of 1983, I was with a band called The Switchblades who opened for War at Billy Bob's Texas. Eric Burdon was long gone, but Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson was hanging backstage. I think it was one of my favorite non-memories!?!

Didn't realize that I would know every single song they played. They really had a lounnnng string of hits in the day.

Spill the Wine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i0DMbCKnAg

I heard rumors that Eric Burdon was hard to work with...but I hate to pass rumors. Does anyone know what happened to him?
#246427 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:04 am
Oh...my....Gollywillickers!?

OK, here's the answer to my previous question. At least it really sounds like Eric Burdon??? Time hasn't been nice.

Is that like an old 80s Tak? :!:

:roll:
#246443 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:50 pm
I saw Eric Burdon with a new 'Animals' backing band a few years ago up in NH - all the guys in the band were in their 20s. He played all the band hits (the Animals really did have a lot). They opened for the Guess Who (it was the year that Randy Bachman rejoined Burton Cummings, so the best re-formed Guess Who tour of the last 25 years).
#246463 by Cajundaddy
Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:44 pm
Big fan of War and The Animals. We currently do an Animals medley and I would like to cover War. One of my friends played drums with War in their very early days. He was drafted and went off to Nam. One year later he heard their first hit songs playing. Aaaak!
#246474 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:38 pm
I played 'When I Was Young' last night - coincidence!
#246489 by Planetguy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:42 pm
i'm a big fan of tossing off "quotes" in my solos (mostly to amuse myself and bandmates, and to see who's listening. (it's an old and time honored jazz tradition, too).

the hook from "Low Rider" is a great one that's easy to plug into a lot of situations.

i saw some recent video of Eric Burden maybe a yr ago....he looked great and sounded even better. hit all his pitches and nailed the high notes. impressive.
#246492 by Planetguy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:02 pm
ooooh! "Willie The Pimp"...i hadn't thought about that one in a long time. it's one i have filed away in my addled brain's rolodex of quotes! thanks jimmy....i'll try not to wear that quote out TOO much this weekend (two Planet Jazz gigs....WHOOOO-AH!). 8)
#246507 by Planetguy
Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:04 pm
TheFarleys wrote:Have fun Mark!

I also recall Hendrix quoting the Beatle's "Tomorrow Never Knows" on a live version of "I Don't Live Today".

that always garners extra points from me.....coming up w a quote that not only works musically but has a relevant lyric connection as well.

99% of mine fall short there, though i am very proud of an old cassette gig recording i found recently. we were doing the song "On Green Dolphin Street" and i played a quote from the "Flipper" tv show theme ("they call him flipper, flipper......")