This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#236640 by MikeTalbot
Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:16 pm
I pay up when I'm working a project that requires finding some folks. I go un-premier when I just want to hang around and chat with other players. Doesn't cost much. Since I'm broke just now I canceled Netflix to pay for this.

cheers
Talbot
#236658 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:24 pm
Bob, as boring and contrite and as obnoxious as this place has become... When I saw you posted some new tunes I had to give it a listen.

I enjoyed them and thank you for sharing. Whatever happened to that great blues band you had? I know that was a long time ago, but that was also darn good.

OK everyone else, nothing to see here... Move it on.
#236668 by MikeTalbot
Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:59 pm
Fletch

I drink whiskey when I play drums as well. Fortunately, I'm not a drummer! 8)

I remember interviewing a drummer for an original band to set up an audition. He asked us what the band's position was on marijuana. Yeah, NEXT!

That's why we were interviewing before auditions - a lot of boneheads out there my friend.

Talbot
#236676 by MikeTalbot
Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:21 am
I have no problem with the erbs. But I have a problem with an idiot that thinks that is a valid question in what is essentially a job interview. Do you smoke weed on your job?

That's for later my friend - after the money has been made, and guitars are packed up.

I have a friend who happens to be my favorite drummer - he won't touch weed. Alcohol nearly killed him and he says weed is a gateway drug to booze! I'd never hear that one before. 8)

Talbot
#236678 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:13 pm
Hey, look at the old faces reappearing all of a sudden!

There's a time and a place for everything, and band rehearsals and gigs are NOT the place for some of those things.
I've seen craigslist ads for bands looking for people and they say '420 friendly' - which means to me they are going to be lighting up during practice ...
#236685 by schmedidiah
Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:30 pm
I smoked weed lightly to heavily, for ten years. I wish I had never even heard of the stuff. It's not for everyone. Especially not people who need to be on psych meds, instead. Luckily, that's not me.

The problem with a band even considering calling themselves "420 friendly" is that you will spend time and money pursuing that activity, instead of concentrating on what is important. The music.

Once you light up, you usually drift over to the Xbox. Then you spend valuable practice time shooting zombies or racing Mario kart, or whatevs tha kidz is into these days.

It can also affect your judgement, when it comes to your overall sound, as well as how your individual parts and tone are coming together. As a former user, I'm amazed at the difference between how great you think everything is when you're high, and how lousy most things are, when you're watching potheads revel in their awesomeness. You owe it to yourself to check out everything you do, in a sober state.

Yes, Up In Smoke was a classic. When you do it, not so much. People have seen it and heard it all. Ad nauseam. It's not as original as it was in the late seventies. Just celebrate your new weed-friendly political climate, and try to keep that stuff to yourself. :mrgreen:
#236697 by MikeTalbot
Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:56 am
Fletch - yeah hang around. you seem too have a clue.

Vinnie - me? Extreme? Somewhat perhaps.

I've with the same fellows for about four years. (met 'em on bandmix) We played in my pal's basement recently - good recording hookup, everyone with good gear and motivation.
Everybody brought the good thing which was a blast. There was 75 years of experience in that room. We had played in original and cover bands and play together a lot.

We wailed.

Or we thought we did. I listened to the recording the next day and frankly, it sucked.

Anecdotal of course, since your experiences are different. But that thought of actually wanting your drummer to get stoned astonishes me. The drummers I've played with were wacky enough without that.

Do you think Satchmo sitting on the toilet really makes your case? 8)

Talbot