This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#235013 by VinnyViolin
Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:54 pm
gtZip wrote:I have this weird experience where if the drummer lays something down, and then I play to it - it's much harder for me to lock in than it is if we are playing at the same time. Even if a click track had been used.
Without a click, or with any wavering meter, it's a biotch to lock in - but not so hard if there's a wavering meter live.

Am I nuts?

Have you ever played along with a drum circle? Even people who normally cannot keep a basic beat on their own, find it nearly effortless to flow along when in a group of other drummers that are playing. A sympathetic resonance effect. I would suspect this sort of resonance even occurs in ways yet to be documented. When good musicians play together live, their heartbeats and breathing tend to synchronize. A similar harmonizing syncro effect is probably also happening in the subtle magnetic and electrical fields of the musician's bodies.

When drum machines first appeared on the market, almost right away people were asking for "humanization" features. That led to analysis of great drummers grooves, which found that they tend to 'swing' .. pushing some beats ahead, lagging others behind, making the music 'breathe'.
I used to manually "smear" the quantized timings of some notes by a few tics or so here and there on my midi sequencer to loosen the feel a bit.

Now after 40 or so years the machine beat is the dominant source of rhythm for pop music. We must now play like machines until we are smart enough to build a machine that can play like a human.
http://youtu.be/mLwvJvcYyrQ

#235017 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:49 pm
VinnyViolin wrote:Even people who normally cannot keep a basic beat on their own, find it nearly effortless to flow along when in a group of other drummers that are playing.

Whenever I'm at a place where there are a lot of tambourine players, I ask them to all stand together, hopefully in the back of the room. :wink:

#235019 by VinnyViolin
Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:04 pm
yod wrote:
VinnyViolin wrote:Even people who normally cannot keep a basic beat on their own, find it nearly effortless to flow along when in a group of other drummers that are playing.

Whenever I'm at a place where there are a lot of tambourine players, I ask them to all stand together, hopefully in the back of the room. :wink:

Did you ever try that in Puerto Rico?
http://youtu.be/Pe45C0MzGpc

#235021 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:11 pm
VinnyViolin wrote:Did you ever try that in Puerto Rico?
http://youtu.be/Pe45C0MzGpc

No, but that would be awesome!

I've got three friends who are Puerto Rican percussionists and are all fabulous. Must be something in the water?? I use a guy named Jose Rossy (played in Weather Report) and have never heard him miss a beat, so recording live with him is a breeze and a pleasure.

#236690 by DainNobody
Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:44 pm
I give this thread a 7.2 based on relevance.. but they still don't get it.. I LIVE IN THE BOONIES and when I say BOONIES Mike I mean CABLE is unheard of, DSL is UNHEARD OF, and Satellite is the only high speed internet option here, other than WIRELSS, which you posted on another thread it would basically be too expensive if a uploadable finished product is 7-8mb and don't even think about videos, straight talk has a 15 gb data card which is expensive, but it could be eaten up on a few you tube videos a month.. no, yod I do not ride a horse, but many around here still pull buggies with them.. old order..Amish ..
and when us preppers are rewarded for our effort in getting off the grid and you still on it, can not even get fresh drinking water pumped to your faucet, I want no complaining from you all.. :lol:
#236700 by schmedidiah
Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:18 am
:lol: Prepper envy!

Not really interested in that whole scene. I live in the middle of Phoenix.
The only things that make this place livable are electricity and water, both of which are wasted in ways you wouldn't believe.
If the power goes off, the air conditioning stops and the water dries up, we're all screwed.
Doesn't matter if you have weapons, food, water, an escape vehicle....... you'll die with the rest of us.

On to home recording. :P
I need to learn how to record on computers.
I know Jack squat about computers.
I never really used them in school.
I never needed them at work.
So I'm basically asking y'all to pretend that it's about 1996.
Tell me where to start.
Thanks.
Last edited by schmedidiah on Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
#236707 by schmedidiah
Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:07 am
VinnyViolin_ wrote:
schmedidiah wrote:Tell me where to start.
Thanks.

You have a computer? How about a decent sound card?
There are a zillion ways to go, but much will be determined by what you have for a budget and what sort of recording you want to achieve.
Just overdubbing a couple tracks at a time, or recording your entire band with live drums? If you have a card then you need recording software. Reaper seems to get a lot of good recommendations for those on a budget, or your sound card might have come with a basic but useable program.
Then you got microphones? Preamps? ... etc.. endless questions and so on. :D

I have mics (dynamic and condenser),
6 small mixing boards that I link together.
Other stuff-compressors and such. I already record (mutitrack)
and mix on a Yamaha 8-track
deck that I bought in '97. It records up to four tracks on a cassette,
then I can add four more (together, or individually).

We record drums live with guitar, bass or keys,
then add other instruments on top of that.
I'm usually playing everything but the drums.
Everything is all mic'd up at once.
Separation between the instruments is about as good as we can get,
without a lot of serious soundproofing.

The demos on cassettes sound pretty good,
but I can't get them on computer, don't know wtf a wav is.
Couldn't locate a sound card with a gun to my head.

I have a tight budget at the moment, but I'm willing to buy a MacBook pro, if I have to.
The problem is my lack of knowledge about computers,
and how to actually get them to do what you want them to do.
I guess I'm looking for the most basic remedial education possible
on this subject. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?
#236710 by schmedidiah
Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:28 pm
He'd probably like that! :mrgreen:

"What's the only difference between a drummer and a pig?" Frank "Pancho" Sampedro

"I don't know. What?" Ralph Molina

"A pig wouldn't f**k a drummer." Pancho

:lol:
#236720 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:37 pm
Do some more reading first, then feel free to ask me specific questions off-forum.

A great place for info: homerecording.com forums, http://homerecording.com/bbs/ - there are 'sticky' posts at the top of the newbies section that give lots of basic info on computer recording.
#236730 by MikeTalbot
Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:36 am
I've got a book on how to use reaper but some things still baffle me. I'm using it. But I'm not using it well.

I need to record a simple guitar track plus a subsequent track with vocal. So far it seems harder than it should. I'll put it up there when I get it right and you all can critique it.

I know this - I'm going to need a click track. I'm figuring out how to create drum bits but it seems so complicated that it will take off focus on the main job. Yet without it - the main job ain't gitting done. So a click track?

Talbot
#236735 by DainNobody
Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:55 am
get a portastudio mike, that should make the recording end of it easier and then input it into the puter and use software to mix it..
#236742 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:26 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:I've got a book on how to use reaper but some things still baffle me. I'm using it. But I'm not using it well.

I need to record a simple guitar track plus a subsequent track with vocal. So far it seems harder than it should. I'll put it up there when I get it right and you all can critique it.

I know this - I'm going to need a click track. I'm figuring out how to create drum bits but it seems so complicated that it will take off focus on the main job. Yet without it - the main job ain't gitting done. So a click track?

Talbot

Reaper can provide a click track (it's called 'metronome' in Reaper, just click on the icon on the toolbar). I usually use an EZ Drummer steady drum beat as I find it easier to play along with. Then I'll record the scratch guitar track and decide if I need to do any tempo changes, go back and adjust hte drum 'click' for that, then re-record the guitar.