This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#229125 by DominicGatto
Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Come join us at Opus Underground in Salem, Massachusetts for "The Mix" Open Mic, brought to you by THE DEJAS & Wreck Shop Movement. Signups start @ 9:00 pm.

Aaron Zev Katz and Callie Lipton of The Dejas are a performing duo whose music is a unique blend of melodic, ambient, "indie-pop", acoustic folk/rock. The Dejas have toured the east coast since 2007 and run four music programs for at-risk youth in Salem. The Dejas created The MIX in September of 2013 in order to provide a creative space for artists of all styles and backgrounds to express themselves openly and honestly...... and have fun doing it.

Wreck Shop is a Hip Hop movement that is dedicated to uniting, empowering and educating the public through events, social media campaigns, and charity.

This is also a FREE event so tell a friend to tell a friend and let's all have a great night!

Coming hungry? Check out the Dinner & Night Bites menu for the Opus Underground below:

Dinner: http://salemopus.com/#/dinner.php
Night Bites: http://salemopus.com/#/night-bites.php

http://www.facebook.com/events/1396617840595470

#229266 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:55 pm
Get your listings on the Facebook Open Mics of New England and Boston Open Mics groups, you'll get a lot more visibility than this place.
Salem has a few good open mics already, not sure about the 9-midnight timing on a Wednesday night though. You're not the only place doing those kind of hours, but the people I talk to that go to OMs all have the same comments: runs too late, by the time the first sign-up goes on (with a 9pm start by the feature act), it's already close to 10pm and if it isn't first-come-first goes-up, then it can be too late a night for a lot of people.

#229269 by jw123
Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:23 pm
The open mic Im helping with starts at 8pm and goes til 12.

Im part of the house band so to speak. We play the first 45 minutes to an hour, then open it up for whoever shows up. We back people if they want, accompany them if they want to play.

By around 11pm when the booze starts hitting the patrons it ussually turns into a cluster fugh. But from 8-11 it ussually goes real smooth.

Im enjoying this cause the guy that runs it has this huge song book and just calls out songs for us to play, most of the time its songs I havent ever played, so I think it makes me a sharper musician to have to react on the spot.

Last night we had this zydeco raggae guy come in and do 4 songs, he asked me to play along, he said do you do raggae, I said no, but I will emphasize the 2 and 4 of the beat, and off we went. Turned out well.

Good Luck with the Open Mic