This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#218324 by Sir Jamsalot
Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:01 pm
So what has been going on with you? I've not been trolling here in quite some time. This summer has been a music adventure for me ~ talk about a wind-storm.

My current cover band decided it was time to release our bass-player because he just wasn't fitting in on a personal level. Band dynamics play a huge role, regardless of talent ~ it just so happened I had purchased a new bass for recording purposes just 2 weeks prior, so I offered to sub-in instead of play guitar - and after our first rehearsal with the role change, the drummer basically told me we "clicked so well" he want's to find another guitarist to replace me and have me remain the bassist. So now I'm re-learning all of our songs from the perspective of a bassist. Talk about an unexpected turn of events :) But I'm actually enjoying the bass. Only been playing it for a month now so my fingers are just now turning back to their normal color :)

On yet another front ~ I joined an "original" metal band as the rhythm guitarist about 6 months ago. Learning about 13 original songs - pretty challenging, but a really fun group and definitely a new frontier for me. We were invited to play at a qualification competition (Ernie Ball Battle of the Bands here in S.F.) for the Warped Tour, but we declined after giving it thought. All of the Bands there are young-screamo genres - ours doesn't fit the age / genre. It was a pay to play for a chance, basically 500 bucks for a 15-20 min set. I'm pretty happy we didn't give that a shot. I don't like competing ~ it takes the fun out of music for me :)

Now that I'm all caught up with the music changes in my life, I'm pursuing forming my own band - one I have complete control over, and is a blend of Indie Accoustic meets FlyLeaf metal with a touch of Opeth (no growling tho) on top. So I'm seeking a female vocalist to lead the charge :)

In a nut shell - I'm a busy bee on the music front. Very fun / adventurous.

What are you guys up to? How's the music life treating you?

Chris!

#218327 by jimmydanger
Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:27 pm
That is busy! Playing bass gives you a new perspective on the music, definitely good for you as a musician. I enjoy playing bass myself but usually only do so in the studio.

I have two bands working myself, The Farleys is chugging along, gigging once a month, getting ready to record a new batch of tunes and breaking in our 7th bass player in 14 years!

My drummer and I also formed a classic rock band last fall and it's now working as well, growing a fan base and becoming the go-to band for a small circle of venues. You really only need 3 or 4 venues to rotate gigs among for a cover band, and we are actually turning down work if the dates are too close, etc.

I just traded my 2000 Les Paul for a 1999 SG, it's more my style.

Rock on!

#218328 by Motion to the Faceless
Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:27 pm
Glad things are active in your music endeavors, Chris. I'm in a new original Alt-Rock band and have shows this month. Good luck!

#218329 by Sir Jamsalot
Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:34 pm
jimmydanger wrote:That is busy! Playing bass gives you a new perspective on the music, definitely good for you as a musician. I enjoy playing bass myself but usually only do so in the studio.

I have two bands working myself, The Farleys is chugging along, gigging once a month, getting ready to record a new batch of tunes and breaking in our 7th bass player in 14 years!

My drummer and I also formed a classic rock band last fall and it's now working as well, growing a fan base and becoming the go-to band for a small circle of venues. You really only need 3 or 4 venues to rotate gigs among for a cover band, and we are actually turning down work if the dates are too close, etc.

I just traded my 2000 Les Paul for a 1999 SG, it's more my style.

Rock on!

New bass player every 2 years. I guess that's better than average :) I'm curious about your classic rock band. Have any music recorded I can gander a peek at? cool beans!

#218339 by Sir Jamsalot
Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:07 pm
jimmydanger wrote:Here's some tunes from rehearsals a few months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb9RKqpLRsQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65rGTa7SY7o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGGaz6AxaAE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqORfqmgh3Q

You guys sound great ~ really tight and your bass player is really good! (I can say that now that I'm more tuned in :)

Thanks!

#218340 by jimmydanger
Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:18 pm
Thanks Chris. We got a new board and the PA sounds a lot better than those videos but you get the idea. Post some videos of your groups when you get a chance. Rock on!

#218351 by jw123
Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:10 pm
Chris great hearing its going so well.

I actually played bass for 4 years before I took up guitar, it will give you a whole different perspective on music to do that, so enjoy it and learn from the experience. I still get my ole P-Bass out from time to time and have a blast with it, in fact I think Im more of a natural bass player than a guitarist.

Music wise I guess Im kinda retired from live playing for the moment, have been writting a few things, just havent found anything worth recording if that makes sense.

Keep On Rockin!

#218356 by gbheil
Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:15 pm
Sounds good man.

Been rather slow here. What with work schedules / vacations and what not just really not been able to keep it together the way I'd prefer.

New music is coming along nicely when we do play . . . that's a plus.

Shows tomorrow & Friday, some booked in August as well.

Even my acoustic work outs with Eric have been canceled on all too many occasions due to life's BS.

Just can't seem to catch a break.
Going to look into picking up some nursing hours again. War chest is depleted.

But that's how it goes sometimes . . . just got to hang on.

#218393 by MikeTalbot
Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:22 am
Personal life has been a mess but I've been playing a lot - various garage band type endeavors but fun. About fifty percent original. Still getting the hang of recording (never had to do it myself before!)

Been mostly playing guitar but just bought a new p-bass and have already worked with some folks - I'd forgotten how much fun that is.

Glad you're getting it done.

Talbot

#218625 by Sir Jamsalot
Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:21 am
jw123 wrote:Chris great hearing its going so well.

I actually played bass for 4 years before I took up guitar, it will give you a whole different perspective on music to do that, so enjoy it and learn from the experience. I still get my ole P-Bass out from time to time and have a blast with it, in fact I think Im more of a natural bass player than a guitarist.

Music wise I guess Im kinda retired from live playing for the moment, have been writting a few things, just havent found anything worth recording if that makes sense.

Keep On Rockin!

I just realized after the past 3 weeks of playing bass consistently, that when I hum ideas and melodies, I think in terms of bass lines. I always wondered why composing was difficult for me on guitar. It comes a whole lot more naturally for me on bass.

retired? that's such a terrible word. how about,... taking a slight detour? :)

#218626 by Sir Jamsalot
Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:22 am
Motion to the Faceless wrote:Glad things are active in your music endeavors, Chris. I'm in a new original Alt-Rock band and have shows this month. Good luck!

JSantos - that you?!! Hah! Almost didn't put 2x2 together. Are you guys doing all originals?

#218635 by fisherman bob
Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:05 am
Started to pick up a few gigs, got one lined up each month, including next Saturday. The great drummer Terry Stanley is sitting in with us next week. Disc golf private party in August and then the prestigious Longbranch Steakhouse return gig in September. "Discovered" phenom saxophone player Ernest Melton, age 17. You heard right, aged 17! World fame headed his way if he wants it. Fire breathing dragon, only way to decribe him.