This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#219148 by Paleopete
Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:51 pm
Mike Campbell and Bryan Setzer...never thought about either but both good calls.

I was not a Stray Cats fan at all, but got my hands on a cassette of Setzer's "Live Nude Guitars" solo album not long after it was released, and loved it. That guy is a killer guitar player. I love the guitar sound on that album.

Mike Campbell - what can I say, I'm a long time Tom petty fan, he's one of my favorite songwriters, and Mike as guitar player is almost as good as George Harrison at putting together a lead that fits the song perfectly. Harrison did leads that sounded like they just grew there, Campbell comes very close...And in every onstage video I've seen he plays all Fender amps, mostly blackface, can't beat that...(can you tell I'm a Fender amp fan?) one is an old Princeton (not Princeton Reverb, just Princeton Amp) I taped a couple of their Soundstage shows, that's the only one they showed close enough to ID. I think one is also a Showman, but not sure. It looked like he also had a very early Fender stand alone reverb unit, made about 1962 to '63 before they started to put them into the amps as standard equipment in '64 I think it was. I think that's what it has to be because it looks about like an amp head, but taller.

Lindsay Buckingham - another amazing guitar player, I never knew he did all or mostly finger picking till I saw Fleetwood Mac on Soundstage...And he played his butt off...through 2 Mesas and three 4x12 cabs.

I started to add Jeff Healey, but I think he pretty much got the respect he deserved as a guitar player. It's just a shame he can't be with us any more...

Jeff Haley, jcm, jimmydanger, and that guy with the cigar box in Roanoke.

Never heard of 'em... lol...except that last guy, that's Neanderpaul.

#219294 by gregory540203
Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:36 pm
Well, the question asked for "underrated", and not "great" or "groundbreaking", so in that spirit:

Gary Richrath.

#219588 by JMZCustomGuitars
Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:48 pm
lots of great replies to this thread btw.

Cant wait to spend some more time to listen and "appreciate" these great but not so well loved guitar players. And who knows, I might pick up a new lick or 2

:)

cheers!

John

#219658 by Paleopete
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:07 pm
Don't know if he's already been mentioned, but...

Mike Rutherford from Genesis, and I guess I should add all the guys in Poco. They've had quite a lineup...Jim Messina, Richey Furay, Paul Cotton to mention a few.

And someone I just saw on That Metal Show, Buck Dharma from Blue Oyster Cult.