This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#8596 by DRUMMER SEEKING BAND(S)
Thu May 17, 2007 3:06 am
How good are you? Can you keep up with this? Ever here of Rocco Prestia? Tower of Power?

If you are a bass player or you can read music here is the link for the transcript and a recording of the song "What Is Hip". Good luck trying to play it. Don't forget - MUTE THE NOTES that need to be muted - don't cheat:

Bass Line Transcript for What Is Hip
http://www.lucaspickford.com/tranship.htm

Song - What Is hip:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/clipserv ... 88-6571642
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE-TfJQ0WKA

Down to the Nightclub:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/clipserv ... 88-6571642

#8724 by Woody357
Sat May 19, 2007 12:18 pm
I played with a band the use to play Tower of Power, we did What is Hip, Soul Vac, Squib Cakes. What is hip really is a ez song to play

#8735 by Vocals & Bass
Sun May 20, 2007 1:30 am
Ive been playing Bass for around 12yrs, Singing lead vocal for 30yrs. +. I like to mimic different Artist on the Bass & vocals. As close to the original Artist as possible. Things are just starting to come together with the Bass, For me. I like playing the Bass more than singing vocals. Our cover band has an outstanding drummer, So it makes my job so much easier on the Bass. Takes along time to be able to 'Click' with any song as a band. I pick up something new everytime I listen to one certain cover song. [Most Covers Anyway] I dont think I will ever master the Bass. Does anyone really ever master an instrument of music? Would love to play full time, But being able to play out a couple times a month is enough for me. Better than just the living room or garage only. Although I've done that alot too at differnt times. As a bass player, I dont know how good I would be as an original artist. Hope to find out before its over! "Bass Players Forever"!

#8783 by mistermikev
Mon May 21, 2007 5:53 pm
Hate to say I told ya so towernut... but I told you so... ie "nothing blowing my mind in that song what is hip" ... it's not that impressive of a riff for bass and there is little variation... again, not saying the guy is no good... he's obviously good/in time/solid as a rock... just didn't blow my mind on that particular tune. Now that I've heard some other stuff I'll agree he's pretty good... but based on that song alone he sounds good... NOT GREAT.
my 2c
mv
#9357 by DRUMMER SEEKING BAND(S)
Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:54 pm
Mr. Mike,

I hate to say "I" told you so but you only proved that you do not know what you are talking about when it comes to funk and soul bass playing. I decided to e-mail Mr. Pattatucci about your response in saying that Rocco is good but not a “great” bass player, to get a professionals opinion. Here is what John wrote back to me (notice his reference to Jaco):

“Dear Jason,

For the record, I LOVE ROCCO PRESTIA'S BASS PLAYING ! When i was around 13 years old my family moved from New York to the Bay Area near San Francisco, in the EAST BAY . I was there when Santana, Tower of Power, Azteca, etc.... got started and it was a really creative time for the whole Bay area. Rocco was a big influence on me , i believe he influenced Jaco too ! He is one of the great funk players of all time. I could go on and on, but if you lived there at that time, there were 3 bass players whose style you had to know-- Rocco Prestia, Paul Jackson ( with Herbie Hancock) and Larry Graham ( the father of slap bass).

I hope this helps,

God Bless You

John Patitucci”

Since John is one of the best bass players on the earth and seeing that you are not I will take his word as to how “great” Rocco really is. :wink:

jason

#9398 by mistermikev
Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:01 am
Wow u r needy.
I said that particular song wasn't that hard. That's all. I said he didn't blow my mind on that song. I never said he sucked. I still stand by my personal take on him. I'm glad you like him so much.

"but based on that song alone he sounds good... NOT GREAT"
the above was my comment. Perhaps you should get some reading glasses. No I'm not as good as jaco... but you aren't as good as ringo... so I guess that makes us even.
Why would someone else's opinion of one song bother you so much?
-Small brain.

Have a nice day.

#9399 by mistermikev
Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:22 am
oh yeah, and "I don't know anything about funk"...
I mentioned Larry Graham as one of my favs... but you are right... I'm WAY off. Ask patitucci what he thinks of john liebman (ie "funk bass")... some would say he wrote the book on it... including patitucci(he wrote the forward). I'm not saying liebman is better than rocco - that is the argument of a fool. I'm saying liebman is more "what FUNK is all about".
Or you could write patitucci and ask him about what I really said: "is your recording of what is hip a great example of roccos playing?"
no wait, don't waste any more of patituccis time.
Whether I'm right or not (I don't really care) -I am at least entitled to my opinion as an observer of music... an opinion that is at LEAST on the level with your opinion...

I'll be continuing my search for intelligent life on earth -anywhere but in here.
#9401 by DRUMMER SEEKING BAND(S)
Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:26 pm
"Whether I'm right or not (I don't really care) -I am at least entitled to my opinion as an observer of music... an opinion that is at LEAST on the level with your opinion... "

When you said "I don't really care" it showed just how stupid you really are. Obivously you care or you would not have wasted your time writing not one but two repsonses.

From all of your comments I have read on the board I am shocked that everyone bites their tongues as much as they do. You post as if your opinion is the end all of music. Unless you have been on the cover of bass player magazine your opinion counts for nothing - just like mine.

While you are searching for intelligent life why don't you search for a cure to ignorance.

jason
#9408 by DRUMMER SEEKING BAND(S)
Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:44 pm
"no wait, don't waste any more of patituccis time."

John has actually e-mailed me 2 more times to convey just how much Tower of Power and Rocco have influenced he and other pro musicians as one of the best bands ever and one of the "greatest" funk bass players. He obviously doesn't view the e-mails as a waste of time only you do.

Your single opinion doesn't bother me - it is all of your opinions. You are right and everyonen else is wrong. I am surprised you do not get more e-mails like this. Everyone has a right to state their opinion but you act like the music mafia for Bandmix on this forum.

jason

#9417 by mistermikev
Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:59 pm
"Whether I'm right or not (I don't really care)" - I mean
whether I'm right about roccos playing on that ONE song.
I do care about whether I'm right or wrong to state my
opinion... and yes I state it like it is the only truth...
that is just me believing in my own convictions... and I
am always open to being convinced otherwise... it's just
you lack the ability for the most part.
Anyone who bites their tongue doesn't believe in their own
convictions... that would be their failing. I stand by all
I have said. Based on roccos performance on THAT ONE SONG,
he's OK.
I will even admit you have shaped my own convictions
about him... he IS perhaps better than OK - but not based on
that particular song.

"your opinion counts for nothing - just like mine."
So since no one here is entitled to an opinion that counts
(according to you cause no one I've met here has been in bass
player magazine)... what is the purpose of this site then?

I'm glad john is such a nice guy that he responds to you (even
with your obvious mental challenge). That speaks volumes about
his patience and really adds to his credibility...
my only complaint is that you try to use his response as
evidence that you are right -and subsiquently make the leap to
"I-am-wrong"... even when his response really has nothing to
do with what I've said. That is shamefull.

What is hip is not a difficult song to play... that's all. That
is what I am right about. I'm ok with the fact that you think
rocco is the quintessential example of a funk bass player... I'm
not even saying he isn't. I just don't think he is based on what
I've seen. I like other people... people like graham, bootsy,
liebman, wooten... etc. Is that ok with you?

"While you are searching for intelligent life why don't you search
for a cure to ignorance." -there's no cure for your ignorance.
#9420 by DRUMMER SEEKING BAND(S)
Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:08 pm
"my only complaint is that you try to use his response as
evidence that you are right -and subsiquently make the leap to
"I-am-wrong"... even when his response really has nothing to
do with what I've said. That is shamefull. "

Did you not try to prove me wrong and you right by trying to use ez3x3's statement as an "I told you so"? Once you used his statement to say "I told you so" I went to someone who's opinion any bass player would repsect - not amatuers. I was merely following your lead. I would love to know what your buddy Les Claypool has to say about Rocco and What Is Hip.

Mike - the only mental challenge I have is trying to figure out how you have come to the conclusion that your opinions on this board count for more than others. You may not have said it but your posts support my statement. I have seen you do it over and over again.

Prior to my first posts your narrow minded, hypocritical opinions were VERY obvious. More so than any other person on this board. You seemed to have a bone to pick with me when I posted something negative about your beloved Primus and it was obvious I touched a nerve. You also have a bone to pick and will try to correct anyone who has a different opinion than you especially when they think Primus is just average.

Since an alter-ego is the only conclusion I can come up with regarding your personallity, I can only imagine what you will post in 40 years when you turn scenile.

If you feel you are right so be it. No biggie. You stand your ground well.

One other thing - I did look at some Les Claypool videos on youtube and I thought he was good. I enjoyed his interviews at his book signing in San Fran. He seems like a pretty cool hang.

jason

P.S. having never met you in person I would imagine you have very bad breath.

#9423 by mistermikev
Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:17 pm
"Did you not try to prove me wrong and you right by trying to use ez3x3's statement as an 'I told you so'? Once you used his statement to say 'I told you so' I went to someone who's opinion any bass player would repsect - not amatuers. "
-so what yer sayin is that you don't respect ez3x3's opinion? That's not very nice. Is this a demonstration of how I don't
respect any opinion other than my own??? or you?
-cmon now... turn that finger 180 degrees... you can do it.
I've found that when you see something you don't like in someone else... take a long hard look...
it's usually something you don't like about yourself.

I was only trying to point out(by using ez3x3's words) what
other BASS players would know right off the bat...
-that the song ain't that hard... and doesn't demonstrate greatness. As a drummer I figured you needed a little help,
and apparently -rightfully so.

Let me now take a moment to really destroy your argument...
don't you find it ironic that you utilize the voice of patti
to cement your beliefs about funk? You have heard him right?
He plays jazz... why don't you ask him about that?

"I was merely following your lead. I would love to know what your buddy Les Claypool has to say about Rocco and What Is Hip." remember... less it would be silly to ask him what he thinks of
funk... get the picture? Moreover, it wouldn't change my mind
to do so... cause I have my OWN beliefs... do you?

"You also have a bone to pick and will try to correct anyone who has a different opinion than you especially when they think Primus is just average. " no, that's ok that you think that. I don't
mind at all... really.

"If you feel you are right so be it. No biggie. You stand your ground well. " -wow, there is a light on in there... I couldn't tell.

"P.S. having never met you in person I would imagine you have very bad breath."
-so I've reduced yet another simpleton to name-calling... do you wanna fight after school in the playground too poopy pants?
lets' see if I can spar on your level...
"P.S. having never met you in person I would imagine you have very bad breath." -why don't you end the mystery and ask your mom if she can confirm?
#9428 by DRUMMER SEEKING BAND(S)
Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:52 am
We are pretty good at this. If you noticed there were only around 315 views when I made the John P. reference and now there are over 380.

Stay tuned folks and see what we do for an encore.

jason

P.S. Poopy pants is probably the most hurtful thing you have called me to date. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'll make a deal with you - the next time Les or Primus comes to the Tampa area I will check them out IF you check out Tower the next time they are in WI. DEAL? Who knows we both might be pleasently surprised.

#9431 by mistermikev
Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:51 am
TowerNut either you have been reading too many of my posts or I have underestimated you... I certainly didnt' invent the "180" but I have been known to pull it out from time to time, and can certainly appreciate it when I see it.
Either way, I was/am going to check out rocco some more. I have allready admitted that you have influenced my view of funk music by pointing him out to me. See, I can dissagree with you and still let you influence me... aren't I civilized?

Let me tell you a story... I attended LACC for a few semesters a while back and had an unusual experience. First you must know that in california the all state college professors are required to serve at the local community college. My strange experience began when I took this american literature course, sometime around the summer of 2001. The instructor for the course would ask us to read 100 pages in two nights... then he would ask you questions about the material...
when you answered he would POUNCE on you
pointing out any flaw, or if no flaws were found... just dissagree with you on any little thing.
I remember thinking "this guy is such a D".
One day we got a lecture on how "no one with any amount of intelligence has ever been religous". (what about gallileo/ghandi/etc right?)
Everyday he would have an argument with someone in the class to the point where some individuals would just break down and cry and leave... others would just quit arguing with him and put their heads down.
Every day I showed up to that class just to see who would get blasted next... and often it was me.
I got so red hot madd that I would tear into those 100 page assignments and read with ferver - just so I could get in one shot on the guy... just one shot.
Are you getting the picture on why he was a good teacher yet?
I'm not telling you this because I think I'm bestowing this same gift on others... I'm far from that benevolent... I just like sparring...
I am relaying this story because it demonstrates the value of defining and redefining one's convictions... whatever the cost.

AFA poopy pants... I do my best to stay away from personal attacks on people... and what can I tell you -I'm ashamed I said that... it was going too far and I apologize. For what it's worth I'm sure your pants aren't poopy at all.
But the intelligence rips stand (told ya I wasn't benevolent).