This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#192797 by PaperDog
Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:39 am
Mark Its a brilliant, Excellent Idea... But for me, . I simply dont have the equipment, necessary to contribute. (The engineer I am working with, is calling it kaputs... so he's out...and i have absolutely no gear to do this. Then there is the skill level.. ALl you guys run circles and ovals around me... I'm prolly not in the same league anyhow...

#192804 by gtZip
Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:21 am
Give me a canvas. I'll paint.

It may not match what you had in mind, but I'll do it.

I just need a beat and some bass or those other things you play

#192805 by gtZip
Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:32 am
So step one, get a beat.
Step two - do what you want on it, planet guy
Step three - choose who to pass it to first.

(I do have a Dropbox account that could be used)

The song length would pretty much be the beat length.

#192811 by JCP61
Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:42 am
people who make silly ass suggestions like this should be taken out and shot,

I mean what the hell?
all they really want is a hug and a pat on the back, obviously , when they haven't made the slightest effort to accomplish the goal in the 1st place.
here you badge for a neat suggestion.
lets see if we can find some dolt to do the work for you.

#192816 by Planetguy
Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:26 pm
JCP61 wrote:people who make silly ass suggestions like this should be taken out and shot,

I mean what the hell?
all they really want is a hug and a pat on the back, obviously , when they haven't made the slightest effort to accomplish the goal in the 1st place.

ah, now THERE'S our little ray of sunshine. sorry JCP....i know you're just looking for yet another shooting match but i can't help ya out at the moment, sweetie... since there's actually some people w some positive outlooks about it and something worthwhile to offer. so take your whiny butt elsewhere and bitch somewhere else about something else...you're never at a shortage are ya?

#192817 by Planetguy
Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:38 pm
Benjamin M Johnson wrote:Maybe instead of trying to plan out the whole song in advance, we could do it piecewise. I'm thinking each of us records about 30 seconds to a minute at a time. We build it up kind of like a brick wall -- each new part has to add onto something that's already there, but can also extend the length of the song. That way it's a real collective effort, and we're not necessarily constrained to one particular style or genre.

wow! that's a VERY interesting idea. not what i had in mind but i could certainly see how it could work (in addition to but not replacing more straightahead song form layering). it reminds me of the creative writing exercise where a story is created by one person writing a sentence to start and then everyone else contributes the next sentence.

for it to work i do beleive you'd need a drum or click track laid down first. prolly work best w a loseable click trk on let's say the right channel....let's say like 15 min click...it get's posted w the first "sentence" say benjamin playing something on the left channel for a minute or so (i think rather than chronological time ...measures would be a better way to go.) and then he's done and the next person takes the next section picking up from where he left off for X amnt of time, and so on. when the 15 minutes (or whatever are up) of different sections are up...THEN it would be cool to have a drummer or more than one use the different "sentences" and play appropriate parts based on each sentence.

yeah, kinda unwieldy but it COULD work.

#192818 by Planetguy
Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:51 pm
gtZip wrote:So step one, get a beat.
Step two - do what you want on it, planet guy
Step three - choose who to pass it to first.

(I do have a Dropbox account that could be used)

The song length would pretty much be the beat length.

well, here's what i'm gonna try to do today. i'm gonna try and lay down a few simple "pieces" with canned drums on the right channel and say a bass line, or rhythm gtr, or simple mando part on the left. i'll post it on soundclick or soundcloud, make it avail as a download and then anyone interested can mess w it adding a part w the option of mixing in the (canned) drums or adding their part ALSO to the left channel w mine so that eventually (or at any point) real drums can be added.

seems like that could work, no? end result would be a mono mix but so what.

i don't mind offering up a "canvas" or two but it sure would great if others can do the same.

grant...i think you could probably offer up some great canvases for folks to work with if you don't feel comfortable adding instrumental stuff later on in the process. if not any instrumental contribution....no doubt you could offer some fine lyrics and maybe even sing them.

i'm hoping that people won't get too caught up in or intimidated w "skill level" considerations and that hinders their participation. this isn't supposed to be anything competetive and we're all (mosty) friends here....right glenn? :wink:

#192819 by JCP61
Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:24 pm
Planetguy wrote:
JCP61 wrote:people who make silly ass suggestions like this should be taken out and shot,

I mean what the hell?

ah, now THERE'S our little ray of sunshine. sorry JCP....i know you're just looking for yet another shooting match but i can't help ya out at the moment, sweetie... since there's actually some people w some positive outlooks about it and something worthwhile to offer. so take your whiny butt elsewhere and bitch somewhere else about something else...you're never at a shortage are ya?

well I'll be here when you get this finished :lol:

or not

#192823 by Planetguy
Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:05 pm
JCP61 wrote:
Planetguy wrote:

I mean what the hell?

well I'll be here when you get this finished :lol:

or not

well, i was hoping you'd be a participant and not merely a voyeur on the sidelines.....but if ya need to be a jeerleader i bet we can find you some pom poms.

#192833 by Starfish Scott
Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:31 pm
I need pom-poms too! lol

#192836 by JCP61
Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:34 pm
well sure, within reason
so where is the score?

#192837 by Starfish Scott
Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:35 pm
You'll be scored at the conclusion.

(no doubt) (yikes) lol

#192840 by JCP61
Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:37 pm
well that goes without saying
but somehow I don't think it will ever come to that.

#192842 by Starfish Scott
Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:38 pm
Oh so you are saying this isn't going to happen?

lol I think I detect a couple of people who will participate regardless.

Ya never know..

#192849 by JCP61
Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:43 pm
we'll see the 2nd coming 1st