This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#193184 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:03 pm
gtZip wrote:Mike, or whoever... see if you can make a proper loop out of the simple guitar that I uploaded.
It might be hard to make a beat to.

Pools.wav

Nice sound, might make a good intro - if anyone else wants to work with this, I'd suggest you record this again and do it 4X as long. Loops can work - sometimes. :wink:

For the project, I would ask everyone to turn off your reverb - it's much better to add it during mixing, even if your sound 'needs' it.

#193194 by Planetguy
Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:21 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:OK, account is set up.

Go to http://www.dropbox.com

Sign in is: [email protected] password is bandmix

I created a folder named project 1 - use this to upload (and download the project file. When saving the file, use the date on the end so we can track versions, i.e project11-9-12
Use WAV files (everyone can use them).
After you have uploaded a track (on the 'unused' side of the stereo WAV file), post here, so I can download it, and combine it with the existing tracks, then I'll upload it back with one side empty again. Real 'mixing' won't happen until we've got plenty of tracks, then I'll need to balance them a bit so everyone can hear the progression.

Remember to sign out of drop box once you have downloaded or uploaded!
Questions - just ask.

ok, mike i signed up and logged in....but don't see any files. i thought gtrzip downloaded a file there, no? i went to the dropbox page and saw two options..."photos" and a "getting started" pdf. when i typed "project 1" and "project 11-9-12"," Pools.wav" or just "project" as a partial word search i saw nothing. is i got "no results found". what am i doing wrong?
Last edited by Planetguy on Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#193196 by MikeTalbot
Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:26 pm
Scot and Guitar Mike

I've got an MAudia external sound card and I've been using first, a cheap radio shack mic which sucked, and now a Shure vocal mic which may be the wrong way to go. I run it all through my laptop with 4 gig ram. (which I should probably increase now that I think about it)

I will check out Reaper.

thanks for the tips

Talbot

#193221 by Starfish Scott
Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:20 pm
I have always stated and now I'm afraid I must insist that without a GREAT mic like a Shure SM58 or Shure SM58 beta or pricey condenser mic of renown, you are selling your vocal track(s) short.
(Especially if you are not a polished singer with years of experience to draw upon.)(I personally need all the help I can get.)

Buy one for yourself and carry it like it means something to your music.
Once you do, it will be difficult to go back to using junk mics of unknown origin.

I got used to a sm58 and now I need to buy another considering the band setup before last stole my sm58's.
(If I see you boys, you best hope that you see me first otherwise prepare for combat.)

I need a new mic, but I'll go buy a SM58 or SM58A or SM58 Beta brand new to avoid a cheap copy that inspires nothing but suicidal thoughts. lol

#193247 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:51 pm
Planetguy wrote:ok, mike i signed up and logged in....but don't see any files. i thought gtrzip downloaded a file there, no? i went to the dropbox page and saw two options..."photos" and a "getting started" pdf. when i typed "project 1" and "project 11-9-12"," Pools.wav" or just "project" as a partial word search i saw nothing. is i got "no results found". what am i doing wrong?

When you sign in, besudes the Photos and Getting started file you should see a folder titled 'Project', click on it, then you will see the 'Pools' file, right click and choose 'download', then save it to your computer.

#193248 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:55 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:Scot and Guitar Mike

I've got an MAudia external sound card and I've been using first, a cheap radio shack mic which sucked, and now a Shure vocal mic which may be the wrong way to go. I run it all through my laptop with 4 gig ram. (which I should probably increase now that I think about it)

I will check out Reaper.

thanks for the tips

Talbot

As Chief says, an SM58 is hard to go wrong with - good for live or recording (vocal) use. Go for an SM57 if you are going to be recording amps or instruments, though, you can still use it for vocals.

#193253 by Planetguy
Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:09 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:
When you sign in, besudes the Photos and Getting started file you should see a folder titled 'Project', click on it, then you will see the 'Pools' file, right click and choose 'download', then save it to your computer.

nope...all i see is "photos" and "getting started". anyone else have a similar problem....or success?

#193258 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:32 pm
Planetguy wrote:
GuitarMikeB wrote:

nope...all i see is "photos" and "getting started". anyone else have a similar problem....or success?

Are you sure you're signed into the bandmixproject account?

#193282 by Planetguy
Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:39 pm
what can i say..i'm a maroon!

anyway...i'm in. tomorrow i'm gonna see if i'm smart enuf to put up a cpl of tunes. thanks again for the elbow grease, rolling up your sleeves, and putting your shoulder to the wheel for us, mike.

#193353 by gtZip
Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:34 am
GuitarMikeB wrote:
gtZip wrote:Mike, or whoever... see if you can make a proper loop out of the simple guitar that I uploaded.
It might be hard to make a beat to.

Pools.wav

Nice sound, might make a good intro - if anyone else wants to work with this, I'd suggest you record this again and do it 4X as long. Loops can work - sometimes. :wink:

For the project, I would ask everyone to turn off your reverb - it's much better to add it during mixing, even if your sound 'needs' it.

Why don't you just throw it in reaper and double it?

#193367 by gtZip
Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:47 am
Never mind, I doubled it.
Increased the loudness a bit.
Pools(b)

#193384 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:38 pm
I didn't do more than listen to it the first time. What key is it in, what are the basic chord changes?

#193464 by Planetguy
Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:53 pm
i'm starting to wonder...w no drummers stepping up for this, and we're relegating to using drum machines and canned drums....would it be best to upload the drums in stereo as opposed to panning them hard left or rt and making 'em sound even worse cos they're mono.....if we can't get a drummer?

opinions?

#193472 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:21 pm
Never a drummer around when you need one! Plenty in Massachusetts in the BM profiles, but they don't come here.

As I always use a canned drummer (for songs that have drums), Istart with a click track, until I get the basic song structure down with a scratch guitar (usually) track, then do the basic stereo drum track when I'm done with the rhythm section (and sometimes all tracking), I'll go back and add the frills, roll-offs, chance-ups etc to the drum track.
In this case, I'd think we'll be better to do the same - unless you've got the whole song planned out in your head for the drum track, in which case upload that, then upload a 1-side only mono version with your basic (or scratch) rhythm guitar/other instrument.
Of course if anyone wants to add separate tracks (as opposed to lef-side of stereo track) I can work with those, too, just need to align them correctly, which takes a bit more work.

#193505 by Planetguy
Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:15 pm
i'll probably do a combination of different mixes....some w one instrument panned one side/canned drums the other.

some w a bass line one side/drums and expendable rhythm gtr part other

some w stereo drums and one or maybe two parts in stereo.

now i just have to figure how to upload my stuff!