This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#195437 by Mike Nobody
Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:28 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Guess some folks were right in that this would never go far.

Well, it has been interesting to watch.

I was hoping to find some way out of my writer's block.

I keep WANTING to compose music for my band, but keep putting it off and avoiding it.
It's like I am afraid of BOTH failure AND success!
So, I end up doing nothing.
I just continue to distract myself with other activities and wasting time.
Do you ever get stuck in a rut like that?
How do you break out of that habit?

I happen to suffer from severe depression and mild OCD.
Medications help control the worst of it.
But, I keep hitting that invisible wall.
It's probably connected to my "writer's block" in some way, although I am not sure how.

#195439 by jimmydanger
Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:35 pm
"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

"The lesson is, never try." - Homer Simpson

#195440 by Planetguy
Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:38 pm
jimmydanger wrote:"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

"The lesson is, never try." - Homer Simpson

and sometimes ya just have to "power thru" those times when inertia has the vise grips on your arse.

#195441 by Planetguy
Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:41 pm

pretty disappointing. there's a few folks who i expected to throw their musical hats into the ring and that just didn't happen. (you know who you are) oh well. mike...i do appreciate the time and effort you expended w this.

#195447 by jimmydanger
Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:00 pm
I'm not a home recording type guy, everything I have ever recorded has been done at a pro studio. Neanderpaul and I were able to collaborate only because I had semi-finished tracks that I was able to send him, which he completed.

For me, if a song is to have singing in it, it MUST start with the lyrics. I write the music around the words; drum beats and chords and melodies are just supporting characters in my little world. If you need lyrics I would be happy to offer them.

#195465 by J-HALEY
Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:19 pm
I record at home BUT my gear and technical expertise are not at the level of being able to share files. I am working on it though! Hopefully about mid 2013 i'll be at that level and understanding, HOPEFULLY! I met Yod last week in a face to face for lunch. He asked me what I do for a living and I told him I am a carpenter. He replied "well that explains a lot" to which we both laughed LOUDLY! :lol: :lol: :lol:

#195474 by PaperDog
Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:57 pm
Mike Nobody wrote:

Well, it has been interesting to watch.

I was hoping to find some way out of my writer's block.

I keep WANTING to compose music for my band, but keep putting it off and avoiding it.
It's like I am afraid of BOTH failure AND success!
So, I end up doing nothing.
I just continue to distract myself with other activities and wasting time.
Do you ever get stuck in a rut like that?
How do you break out of that habit?

I happen to suffer from severe depression and mild OCD.
Medications help control the worst of it.
But, I keep hitting that invisible wall.
It's probably connected to my "writer's block" in some way, although I am not sure how.

I think I have mild ADHD ... But that doesnt stop me... :)

Seriously, The best way out of writers block is to NOT TRY to write something. We talk without giving it much thought. Expressing music and art should work the same way.

#195475 by jimmydanger
Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:00 pm
I have ADH...ooh look at the squirrel!

#195476 by PaperDog
Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:02 pm
Planetguy wrote:

pretty disappointing. there's a few folks who i expected to throw their musical hats into the ring and that just didn't happen. (you know who you are) oh well. mike...i do appreciate the time and effort you expended w this.

I dont Know How I could have contributed,,, :(

I dont have the setup right now for online collab. If I did, I prolly would have started something much sooner than when this had started.

I would say you guys should not give it up, but should be patient and eventually colloboraters would turn up.

#195477 by PaperDog
Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:08 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Maybe the tuning/intonation happened when you converted to MP3? I don't think it would have happened when I changed the tempo of the tracks as I preserved the pitch and it should stay uniform anyway.
I was thinking it was me at first, as first time I tried recording (to the unlooped track), I was using my acoustic, but it became worse during the second A/B pattern, and even worse for the section after that.
After that I looped A/B once, but never got the chance to try it again with the acoustic, used my Tele last night for what I posted. It has some chorus on it already, but could take that up a notch easily enough.

Maybe try taking your original bass and drum tracks - slow them down a bit if you can - and re-upload them as WAV?

Absolutely you guys should not be working with MP3s (Except where you want to practice and map licks, on your own time, etc) The WAV files are the best Idea because they are portable and most Boards and/or SW will convert them with no loss or corruption. You should establish your BPMs up front and STICK by it from there on out. That includes changing pitch. It f**k everybody else up...
just my 2 cents

#195478 by gtZip
Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:10 pm
I'm not quitting yet.
The universe has been conspiring against me, but I will add some more stuff sooner or later.

#195479 by Planetguy
Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:12 pm
PaperDog wrote:
I think I have mild ADHD ... But that doesnt stop me... :lol:
Seriously, The best way out of writers block is to NOT TRY to write something. We talk without giving it much thought. Expressing music and art should work the same way.

well, grant that might be the best way out for you but we're all different. i've tried that wait for the muse approach and for ME....i'd be waiting still if i didn't "force the issue" from time to time.

the notion of comparing creating art to speech is kinda flawed methinks. we come out of the womb "communicating" (bawling our head off)... and not counting making a poop, most of us don't start attempting to create art til a little later....if ever.

lots of great writers (music and literary) set aside a certain time to write everyday whether or not the muse comes a-callin. paul simon comes to mind.

anyway....i just think everyone needs to figure out their own way around the tree. or maybe several different ways.

and grant, that ADHD...there's a lot of that going around! i speak from personal exp. :wink:

#195494 by PaperDog
Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:49 pm
Planetguy wrote:
PaperDog wrote:
I think I have mild ADHD ... But that doesnt stop me... :lol:

well, grant that might be the best way out for you but we're all different. i've tried that wait for the muse approach and for ME....i'd be waiting still if i didn't "force the issue" from time to time.

I never said one should wait for the muse. I said to 'TRY NOT' to write something. (As opposed to TRY and forcing ourselves).
Lots n lots n lots of folks get caught up with paralysis becuse they "tried" to hard and they get nothing out of it. I'm saying... relax! dont do it!...when ya wanna ... .sing! :) Now who wrote that line?

the notion of comparing creating art to speech is kinda flawed methinks. we come out of the womb "communicating" (bawling our head off)... and not counting making a poop, most of us don't start attempting to create art til a little later....if ever.

Its is NOT flawed...Its dead nuts on :) Think about it.. Art is "expressed", SPeech is "expressed" Both require some heart and calculation if they are to come off better than monotonically cyborgesque... But some folks can express speech with brilliant tact, and express it completely naturally, not pushing anything..not trying. The same could be said for art. The better relaxed musicians wont disagree. 8)

lots of great writers (music and literary) set aside a certain time to write everyday whether or not the muse comes a-callin. paul simon comes to mind.

I agree. I do that myself... I absolutely refuse to attempt a song session when I am Sky diving, snorkling or dodging a bill collector... ( You wont ever catch me snorkeling a bill collector! :lol: ) Likewise, when I schedule my time for song creation, its fully dedicated to the effort... and I never spend more than about two hours. BTW, I have only recently discovered that I can write numerous songs in a single session, and I realize that not all are necessarily keepers. My goal is to proliferate these babies...

#195515 by JCP61
Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:55 am
dose this mean scotty owes me 10 bucks?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#195518 by gtZip
Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:49 am
Nope