This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#193610 by Planetguy
Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:00 pm
ok...i uploaded some stuff. if anyone needs a roadmap for key or chord changes for anything they want to work w just let me know.

#193613 by gtZip
Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:03 pm
Planetguy wrote:i'm starting to wonder...w no drummers stepping up for this, and we're relegating to using drum machines and canned drums....would it be best to upload the drums in stereo as opposed to panning them hard left or rt and making 'em sound even worse cos they're mono.....if we can't get a drummer?

opinions?

Yes.

#193640 by Starfish Scott
Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:03 am
"easy drummer" or whatever you use..

That one was easy.. lol

#193663 by Ryan Douglas Michelsen
Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:43 am
I really like this idea. I've read the first few pages and skimmed the rest, and I really like the idea of bringing in musicians of many different kinds together.

A keyboardist, I can provide many types of sounds. I also have Cubase, a powerful mixing station that I think we could use.

The idea of having a sign up list for different genra's would be best, and each group working together to come up with music for that style. I'd be happy to jump along with this. I think if we got this going I could provide mixing and keyboard support... pretty good at songwriting too.

#193670 by Mike Nobody
Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:15 am
I have been skimming through this thread.

In the past, I usually jammed with a drummer or machine beat when coming up with stuff.
Lacking a decent drummer, and not getting very far with machines, I've kinda been at a loss to do anything very productive.
But, I do have a a sample-based backing track I was working on some time ago if you wanna try working with it.

It can be previewed and downloaded here:

http://soundcloud.com/mikenobody/negativem-get-busy-backing

#193681 by Ryan Douglas Michelsen
Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:22 am
I've always found it good to compose to a metronome. It's basic, so you fill in the blank space between each beep with melodies. Once you have it all, you can take the next step and organize the melodies into a pattern. After that, using a beat maker or a drummer, (I have the first) create a beat to the entire song. I like loops, but you can make a freestyle beat if you try hard enough!

Once your there, it's pretty much rinse and repeat, adding effects, moving things, etc, until it sounds perfect.

#193704 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:36 pm
Planetguy wrote:ok...i uploaded some stuff. if anyone needs a roadmap for key or chord changes for anything they want to work w just let me know.

Damn, Planetguy - is this "add tracks to my music ideas" or a true multi-person collaboration?! :wink:
I was at band practice last night, so only checked the dropbox this morning. You put a ton of different things up there - but they're all MP3! Let's try to keep everything shared in WAV format for best quality.

I think we need more of a plan in order to do this correctly.

One: type/style of song
Two: structure (for example, if instrumental - intro/verse/bridge/verse bridge/outro)

We need to start with a basic scratch track - this can be drum beat or click + basic rhythm guitar or basic bass - but it won't be kept in the final mix, only used as a guide.

Planetguy, you've got some great ideas down, but some (I only listened to a couple) are 3/4 complete already, they just need another instrument or two to be done.

On the other hand, if anyone wants to take any of these and start adding stuff, go ahead, but let me know so that I can download and save the existing tracks, and make sure you change the file name when you upload it so that everyone knows it's 'take 2 by Harry lead guitar 11-12-12' (for example).

MikeN/DJO - we've already discussed the EX Drummer/canned drummer approach, which will be used if we don't find a drummer to contribute.

DJO - feel free to mix anything you want in your DAW, I volunteered to do that part. I use Reaper.

#193719 by Planetguy
Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:29 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:
Damn, Planetguy - is this "add tracks to my music ideas" or a true multi-person collaboration?! :wink:

well, most of those trks are drums and a rhythm gtr, or drums and a bassline....three of them are just a strummed (or plucked) acoustic gtr. that seems pretty bare bones to me and leaves plenty of room for "collaborating" with room to add a melody, solo(s), lyrics, vcls, keys, drums. perc....you name it.

not sure how to "pull it back" any further than that. as for "add tracks to my music ideas" that's what we're all gonna do, no? if i add a track to gtzips "pools" or add trks to one of your ideas that's exactly how it'll work...unless we're just doing arrangements of cover tunes. (no interest there).

I was at band practice last night, so only checked the dropbox this morning. You put a ton of different things up there - but they're all MP3! Let's try to keep everything shared in WAV format for best quality.

yeah, mp3. my bad. if you (or any other participants) truly feel the sound quality is that bad and unusable i'll repost as wav. files

I think we need more of a plan in order to do this correctly.

One: type/style of song
Two: structure (for example, if instrumental - intro/verse/bridge/verse bridge/outro)

well, i tried to list the style in the song title but you're limited w amt of characters you can use.

we might start another thread just for posted songs w more detailed structure outlines if there's interest. before typing out a detailed chord chart and form (which i'd hoped might not always be necessary...as we all good ears to discern key and form) i'd wanna know/hear from someone "hey, pg i wanna work on your tune 'Iguana' and need help w the chords".

We need to start with a basic scratch track - this can be drum beat or click + basic rhythm guitar or basic bass - but it won't be kept in the final mix, only used as a guide.

well, that's ONE way to do it. and one that'd work and i'm down with but i'd hate to limit ourselves saying "this is how we're doing it". i'd want to see us have a few options (as in someone putting up a "canvas" that does have more than just a scratch rhythm gtr part or whatever. i mean if you make something down that's a little more developed...there's STILL plenty of room for collab and contributions from others.

Planetguy, you've got some great ideas down, but some (I only listened to a couple) are 3/4 complete already, they just need another instrument or two to be done.

thanks. i dunno mike ,i think there's plenty of room for vcls, melody, soloing, keys, a second rhythm gtr part....really anything. hell, there's three trks that are merely solo acoustic gtr!

the tune "My Life Among The Iguana" i put up in two versions....one w bass hard left and drums panned hard right. because the change to the BbMaj7add#11 might be unclear getting the info from just the bass line..i put up a second version w a scratch rhythm gtr part panned hard rt along w the scratch drums that i'd thought would just be there as a guide..to be lost later when real drums were later added.

On the other hand, if anyone wants to take any of these and start adding stuff, go ahead, but let me know so that I can download and save the existing tracks, and make sure you change the file name when you upload it so that everyone knows it's 'take 2 by Harry lead guitar 11-12-12' (for example).

#193722 by Starfish Scott
Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Use a click track, meh bitches.

"Just wtf are YOU thinking"?

Don't over complicate anything, period.

#193723 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:43 pm
The problem with MP3 is that if everyone keeps using it (and combining tracks) there is definite degradation of sound from each successive compression.
The idea behind putting scratch tracks on one side of the stereo file (and leaving the other side empty) was to make it easier for those not real comfortable with doing collaborations or using stand-alone recorders.
If you provide a stereo track with some instruments on left and some on right, anyone wanting to add their track has to take your stuff, combine/mix it to one channel, then add their stuff to the other side - or provide a separate file entirely. This is what I suggested I could do - save the 'new' channel tracks, and combine them with the original and provide a new 'all on one side' stereo file for the next person. I can still do that with any of the files you did, someone just has to request it.

Again, if anyone wants to work with any of your tracks, just go for it.

#193733 by Planetguy
Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:19 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:The problem with MP3 is that if everyone keeps using it (and combining tracks) there is definite degradation of sound from each successive compression.

ok i get that. additional files added to mine (if there are any takers) should be wav. is it ok to leave what i put up as mp3 tho?

The idea behind putting scratch tracks on one side of the stereo file (and leaving the other side empty) was to make it easier for those not real comfortable with doing collaborations or using stand-alone recorders.
If you provide a stereo track with some instruments on left and some on right, anyone wanting to add their track has to take your stuff, combine/mix it to one channel, then add their stuff to the other side - or provide a separate file entirely. This is what I suggested I could do - save the 'new' channel tracks, and combine them with the original and provide a new 'all on one side' stereo file for the next person. I can still do that with any of the files you did, someone just has to request it.

well, i think w one exception that i mixed in stereo w a cpl of trks ("Dm Bit") that is what i did. i put the keepable bass or rhytm gtr on one side....disposable scratch drums the other... or disposable drums and discposable scratch rhythm gtr guide on the same side.

maybe i'm missing something? (as is often the case)

mike, thanks again for your time, expertise, and willingness to help w this.

#193773 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:18 pm
Planetguy wrote:
GuitarMikeB wrote:The problem with MP3 is that if everyone keeps using it (and combining tracks) there is definite degradation of sound from each successive compression.

ok i get that. additional files added to mine (if there are any takers) should be wav. is it ok to leave what i put up as mp3 tho?

well, i think w one exception that i mixed in stereo w a cpl of trks ("Dm Bit") that is what i did. i put the keepable bass or rhytm gtr on one side....disposable scratch drums the other... or disposable drums and discposable scratch rhythm gtr guide on the same side.

maybe i'm missing something? (as is often the case)

mike, thanks again for your time, expertise, and willingness to help w this.

We've got plenty of space in the drop box, when subsequent versions of any files are uploaded by others, I'll download those (for pre-mixing) and delete the original files (which I will have already copied).

If you put scratch tracks on 1 side and 'keepable' on the other side, first thing I've got to do is download them (save them) and do a premix with everything on one side.
If others her can let me know which songs they want to try recording parts for, let me know so that I can do those first - only so many hours in a day, I have a real life (and job!), too!

#193949 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:05 pm
Is anyone doing anything with any of the tracks yet? If so, please speak up, as I was going to grab a couple this evening and see what I could do with them.

#193956 by Starfish Scott
Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:11 pm
(the sound of crickets) lol

#193986 by Ryan Douglas Michelsen
Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:14 pm
I could take the files currently there and make sure they are all loops, and in wav. format.

I can use variaudio to find the exact keys any of you are hitting as well, so I can play along with whatever you put up.

I'l see if what's up there is on the same beat and harmonious, play around a bit. I might upload either a backup track to something, a beat, or an early mix.

EDIT - After reviewing these files, I have picked out a couple.

"Riding This Train" has a very Jack Jonhsony feel to it, I'm liking it. If I created a tempo track for this, would you be able to play it in synch?

"Little Boat" is also to my liking, if I made a tempo track would you be able to play this to the tempo?

"E-Bass" has a nice groove to it, and I think would go well with Riding This Train". The two just have to be in snych with each other. I even think the beat in E-Bass would be good for it.

EDIT - I uploaded "New11_14_2012DJO", which is a wav export of what I was working on yesterday and this morning. If anyone wants me to pull a track out to be used seperately, I will. It is 2 synths, as well as a few lines for the beat. If you have anything you can play to this, I could use anything harmonious, expecially for the breaks.

As well, i've been in love with this song I recently made called Everlast. If anyone would like any of the tracks let me know, it's all handmade midi so I can break it down to any note.
You can find the song here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spK5vh9Y2Ww&feature=plcp