This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#187178 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:47 am
Where did you go planet jerk?
Line by line and you disappear.

I'm not the sweet great musician Jeff is. He keeps apologizing for the anger that asssholes like you have taunted him to say things he regrets.
I don't think that he has posted ONE thing that I wouldn't TRIPLE.

I'm not Obama,,, I don't go all over the world and apologize when all you want to do is kill Americans.

Good luck with ME! :evil:

#187190 by MikeTalbot
Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:48 am
Back to the music...

Mr. Haley - that ain't bad for a guy with a mullet! :wink:

I know lots of folks complain when guitarist (and bassists) play lots of notes. Bottom line is you play the amount of notes it takes for that piece.

I've been listening to a lot of classical and jazz to get a little creative inspiration and those guys play lots of notes! But like your song - they have pauses and dynamics and if they make that fiddle player work it's in a good cause.

Plus for my money the phrasing was quite tasteful.

More gain though - crank it!

Talbot

#187197 by Stringdancer
Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:31 am
J-Haley wrote: If you don't like it I am sorry

I’m about to share a weakness of mine here. I’ve received many insults on this board whether I deserved them or not is not the point. The point is that none of those insults faced me a bit but the “I’m sorry” comment does affect me because you should not to have to apologize to no one for playing your song following your vision. On the other hand I might have something to apologize for... although I’m not sure for what.

My comments on your song although written with a touch of insensitiveness were not meant to degrade you or the song but rather as an exchange of view or approach between two individuals on what makes a song memorable.

Having said that I want to point out that nobody has the formula to make a hit song especially for an instrumental which is IMO is much tougher to make it memorable than a song with lyrics.

At the risk of sounding condescending here I’d like to mention that a song has better chance to be liked if the listener comes away with something to remember it by. A song with lyrics has a better chance to be remembered whether because of the lyrics or whether because of melody on which the lyrics ride on.

In absence of lyrics or instrumental the “listener memory factor” is still an important consideration when writing or playing.
I’m sure you have had a lot of praises on your playing abilities and I can almost hear people driving back home after listening to you and your band saying: Wow that guitar player sure was smoking on guitar but I doubt very much they’d remember an instrumental without a hook, riff or melody.

Santana is a good role model for that, when he writes a melody on paper he aims to write it on people’s mind as well that’s because he wants to sell his music, not just merely play it.

No JH you have nothing to apologize for and don’t let one man’s opinion derail you from what you doing musically.

Off to my shelter!!!!

#187198 by JCP61
Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:42 am
Stringdancer wrote:J-Haley wrote: If you don't like it I am sorry

I’m about to share a weakness of mine here. I’ve received many insults on this board whether I deserved them or not is not the point. The point is that none of those insults faced me a bit but the “I’m sorry” comment does affect me because you should not to have to apologize to no one for playing your song following your vision. On the other hand I might have something to apologize for... although I’m not sure for what.

My comments on your song although written with a touch of insensitiveness were not meant to degrade you or the song but rather as an exchange of view or approach between two individuals on what makes a song memorable.

Having said that I want to point out that nobody has the formula to make a hit song especially for an instrumental which is IMO is much tougher to make it memorable than a song with lyrics.

At the risk of sounding condescending here I’d like to mention that a song has better chance to be liked if the listener comes away with something to remember it by. A song with lyrics has a better chance to be remembered whether because of the lyrics or whether because of melody on which the lyrics ride on.

In absence of lyrics or instrumental the “listener memory factor” is still an important consideration when writing or playing.
I’m sure you have had a lot of praises on your playing abilities and I can almost hear people driving back home after listening to you and your band saying: Wow that guitar player sure was smoking on guitar but I doubt very much they’d remember an instrumental without a hook, riff or melody.

Santana is a good role model for that, when he writes a melody on paper he aims to write it on people’s mind as well that’s because he wants to sell his music, not just merely play it.

No JH you have nothing to apologize for and don’t let one man’s opinion derail you from what you doing musically.

Off to my shelter!!!!

this is of course complete bullshit coming from a tribute performer,
really, this is all complete guesswork on your part.
how can you roll out this dissertation on a sonata, given the fact that you couldn't attempt it in the 1st place.
others taught you believe crap like this about music, that's why your completely stuck in a predictable rut.

yes, row row row your boat, dose stick in your head more firmly than a improvisational effort, but of course you couldn't come up with either.
so why admit that you only gave a 1/2 hearted effort to listen and understand what was attempted?

jeff's offering is much more memorable and educational than a poorly executed rehash of a pop song from the 60's

#187201 by Planetguy
Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:55 pm
GLENNY J wrote:
Like I said this was a great music thread,,,

yep, too bad you had to start talking about obama, welfare, me, and everything else BUT.

#187206 by Stringdancer
Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:08 pm
JCP61 wrote:

Off to my shelter!!!!

yes, row row row your boat, dose stick in your head more firmly than a improvisational effort, but of course you couldn't come up with either.

Wow this guy knows me so well, amazing talent to be sure, it's not easy to determine one's musical ability by just reading a post, well 3CPO has managed to do just that.

Say do you want collaborate with me? I've listened to one of your tunes
as I was listening I thought a legato between the 4th and 5th measure played on an Anvil would inhance the song. I also thought during the bridge to add few bars using the sound of a flat tire but I'm not sure if it'll work though, but it's worth the try I think.

OH never mind, what am I saying after all I'm suggesting musical ideas to the best electric guitar doodler on this board. Crazy thing to do on my part, disregard all the above and happy doodlings.

#187214 by JCP61
Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:31 pm
Stringdancer wrote:
JCP61 wrote:

Off to my shelter!!!!

Wow this guy knows me so well, amazing talent to be sure, it's not easy to determine one's musical ability by just reading a post, well 3CPO has managed to do just that.

Say do you want collaborate with me? I've listened to one of your tunes
as I was listening I thought a legato between the 4th and 5th measure played on an Anvil would inhance the song. I also thought during the bridge to add few bars using the sound of a flat tire but I'm not sure if it'll work though, but it's worth the try I think.

OH never mind, what am I saying after all I'm suggesting musical ideas to the best electric guitar doodler on this board. Crazy thing to do on my part, disregard all the above and happy doodlings.

naaa.
I think you need to carry on rehearsing those crappy beatles imitations,
outside that venue you would be totally lost.

#187270 by J-HALEY
Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:21 am

Off to my shelter!!!!

Well thanks for showing your humanity! kudo's to you bro! your apology is excepted! I value every persons opinion on this site when I post music on here! That is the GREATEST asset this site has to offer! After reading your critique and also after listening to your music posted. I believe to be a Beatles fan. If I am correct in my assumption I must admit SO AM I! Really The Beatles IMO were the greatest music writers of our time! Having said that they were NOT the best musicians. They were slightly above average at best! I believe that you are comparing apples and oranges here. I write music that comes from my SOUL! Someone on this site once said that they have rehashed their own music re-recorded it and in the end when all was said and done their initial concept and recording was the right one! Those are some of the WISEST words of musical WISDOM I HAVE EVER HEARD! I have listened to the performance's I have played on that song and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt if I can get it mixed right it will be appreciated by ALL folks with an open mind!