This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#187024 by Cajundaddy
Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:48 am
Love the mood of the song, love the playing.

What if anything would I add or do differently if it were mine:
At the risk of sounding like an ungrateful turncoat who lies down with dogs... I think Stringdancer has a valid point. I know, I don't agree with ANYTHING he has to say about Israel but on this I think he is wise.

I need me some theme and melody here. Your cover version of Europa is a good example Jeff. It starts out fairly simple and easy with a great hook melody, builds throughout the first half, and then lets all the dogs out in the second half. If "Katie" were mine I would find the best 24 bars of that most delicious fretwork and cut/paste into the back of the song. Then I would find a simple, appealing, catchy hook phrase and build it up from the beginning. I think a true masterpiece is still in there waiting to be revealed.

A great instrumental balad is/should be like great slow sex. Sneak up on em slowly, warm em up gently, build to a crescendo and have em howling at the moon in the end. This is of course only one mans opinion and you may feel free to ignore it. My intent is purely a constructive critique about song craft and not meant to offend. You already know I think you are an outstanding player and the guitar work is badass!
Last edited by Cajundaddy on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

#187025 by J-HALEY
Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:48 am
I had to go because our son (well you know that story) Mr. Stringdancer I had to go in a hurry and didn't get to finish my point! Point is I think you are a very intelligent person (Way WAYyyy) smarter than me! In our lives we take paths. I had the opportunity to be a rich man (follow my dads footsteps) I chose to follow my heart! enough of my ramblings? Point is you folks that choose (after graduating) high school to go for higher education how in the HELL can I ridicule you for that? That was YOUR choice! I chose to be a Musician. My point is (you) with all your smarts comes here (to a musical site) maybe you feel your education gives you the right to judge me. I sensed this from you (1st post)! Trust me when I say in the most reserved and controlled way I can Brother "YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR LEAGUE"
Having said that it's cool bro! I am super proud of you for posting some music! :wink:

#187033 by J-HALEY
Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:34 am
I would like to say musically I said PERFECTLY and ABSOLUTELY what I meant! I am not being facetious when I say "if you don't get it" its prolly over your head? Good Luck!
#187034 by J-HALEY
Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:49 am
Stringdancer wrote:
J-HALEY wrote:The first song on my player Katie! My new Child! Thanks to my most beautiful wife for helping me with the mix! I love you Dawn! A special thanks to my niece! God bless you! I was able to post "my version" of Europa! enjoy! :lol:

Knock, knock… may I come in?
Oh boy JH is going to go ballistic on me anyway here I go with my 2 cents.
First off congrats for your technical skill, unfortunately you’re victim of dreadful disease afflicting millions of solo guitar players who get trapped in showing off their skill at the expanse of a good riff, a melody or a hook thus resulting in a failure to deliver.

With a song title like Katie and the beautiful time signature you’ve chosen, one expects a bit more substance in way of a melody thus giving it more meaning; instead I hear a constant solo filled with fingers calisthenics followed by sound stunts.

Don’t get wrong calisthenics and stunts are nice but not throughout the entire song IMO. Finding the proper balance between the two can make the difference between and average song from a great one.

My advice would be for you to smoke a fat joint, get inspired and come up with a nice melody that Katie can actually hum or whistle since there are no lyrics, then re- record the song starting it with the main motif or melody followed by the calisthenics and stunts and finally ending it with a tasty ending.

Off to the shelter!!!
"What are ya NEW!" :shock:

#187128 by Planetguy
Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:52 pm
cool tune, jeff. hot playing and great, great tone. reminds me some of Gary Moore. keep 'em coming.

#187130 by J-HALEY
Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:57 pm
Planetguy wrote:cool tune, jeff. hot playing and great, great tone. reminds me some of Gary Moore. keep 'em coming.

Thanks Mark! That song was supposed to be an intro but I couldn't get the canned drums to play the time sig. for the main body of the song. So I just made a song from the intro!

#187136 by MikeG9699
Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:26 pm
Great tune Jeff! Your lead is excellent as always.

#187141 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:11 pm
Awesome lead playing (finally got the chance to listen to this). Before sending me the stereo track to boost up the volume, remix: either put some compression on the acoustic or 'ride the faders' on it - when you do the full-string slow strum its too loud, other than that its at the right level.

#187142 by DainNobody
Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:30 pm
very nice, but am still greatful I can listen to "In My Mind" repetitiously without having to pay a dime... :P

#187143 by J-HALEY
Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:32 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Awesome lead playing (finally got the chance to listen to this). Before sending me the stereo track to boost up the volume, remix: either put some compression on the acoustic or 'ride the faders' on it - when you do the full-string slow strum its too loud, other than that its at the right level.

Mike I am going to remix it in the morning and then post or send it to you! I agree about the acoustic! 8)

#187146 by Stringdancer
Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:19 pm
J-HALEY wrote:I would like to say musically I said PERFECTLY and ABSOLUTELY what I meant! I am not being facetious when I say "if you don't get it" its prolly over your head? Good Luck!

This reminds me of a quote from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart when he responded to Antonio Salieri's observation. Salieri point out to Wolfgang that one of his piece had too many notes in it. Mozart replied: " The piece has just the right amout of notes no more no less"

JH you know you and I we are going to spar from time to time, me with my banter and you with yours and no I do not consider myself more intelligent than you but I'd like to point out that in music is not about how many notes one can squeeze in a mesasure it's about how memorable those notes are to a listener. Techinical skill is a presequisite to make music but ultimately what makes the difference is the composition or the writing. and for that a whole different set of skills is needed.

Now don't misunderstand and go off again on me, I'm not saying you are not capable to write a likeable song but in the tune we're discussing you have chosen to showcase your skills rather than your writing ability.

That's all folks.

#187148 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:36 pm
Stringdancer wrote:
J-HALEY wrote:I would like to say musically I said PERFECTLY and ABSOLUTELY what I meant! I am not being facetious when I say "if you don't get it" its prolly over your head? Good Luck!

This reminds me of a quote from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart when he responded to Antonio Salieri's observation. Salieri point out to Wolfgang that one of his piece had too many notes in it. Mozart replied: " The piece has just the right amout of notes no more no less"

JH you know you and I we are going to spar from time to time, me with my banter and you with yours and no I do not consider myself more intelligent than you but I'd like to point out that in music is not about how many notes one can squeeze in a mesasure it's about how memorable those notes are to a listener. Techinical skill is a presequisite to make music but ultimately what makes the difference is the composition or the writing. and for that a whole different set of skills is needed.

Now don't misunderstand and go off again on me, I'm not saying you are not capable to write a likeable song but in the tune we're discussing you have chosen to showcase your skills rather than your writing ability.

That's all folks.

SO WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT! Jeff shared some great music and you have the balls to become all critical of that.
F.U. :evil:

#187149 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:40 pm
People wonder why I don't post any of the good music I have been playing recently. Perfect example.
If you love Obama, great music.
If you don't love Obama it sucks.

I have never seen such a bunch of racist mother FUUUCKERS as some of you!

#187151 by DainNobody
Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:43 pm
GLENNY J wrote:People wonder why I don't post any of the good music I have been playing recently. Perfect example.
If you love Obama, great music.
If you don't love Obama it sucks.

I have never seen such a bunch of racist mother FUUUCKERS as some of you!
makes perfect sense GLENNY J..

#187152 by gbheil
Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:46 pm
That f**k rocks man! 8)