This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#183968 by JCP61
Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:17 pm
this is beer, not sure what the rest of you guys are drinking

#183972 by J-HALEY
Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:22 pm
jimmydanger wrote:No, just J.S. Bach. Oh you mean Shiner Bock lol.

Just kidding, I had to Google it.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/shiner-bock/909/

Well dang it If in im gonna like beer I best learn myself how to spell it! Lord forgive me for I have sinned I misspelled Shiner Bock! Now ya'll know how proud I am of Texas? Having said that you couldn't pay me to DRANK a Lonestar! Now you talk about Horse Piss Phyyttt! :lol:

#183974 by RGMixProject
Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:28 pm
Sorry, but my beer is the best Beer!

#183983 by fisherman bob
Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:49 pm
How did a musical thread become a beer thread?

#183985 by Starfish Scott
Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:50 pm
It's what to expect from the forum in general these days..the unexpected.

#183987 by RGMixProject
Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:55 pm
fisherman bob wrote:How did a musical thread become a beer thread?

cause when I drink beer my music sounds great.

#183989 by JCP61
Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:00 am
RGMixProject wrote:
fisherman bob wrote:How did a musical thread become a beer thread?

cause when I drink beer my music sounds great.

me too!

:lol:

#183992 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:05 am
Beer thread???>|????
Somebody say beer?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

#183995 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:12 am
How about Wine?
My wife is the biggest snob of all when it comes red wine.
She will look down a wine list and and ask for glass of something I can't even pronounce. She is looking for a 2001, all they have is 2003. Not good enough.
I still go by the born on date. Taste good, ok, drink. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#184009 by squodge
Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:07 am
Had to laugh at the beer thing lol :D
I once got lambasted by a Scottish friend for drinking Kronenburg - apparently lagers are a "waste of time" o.O

Anyway, back to the music thing... I was a snob when I was younger. I "hated" pop, I "hated" rap, I "hated" blah blah blah. By the time I was in my late 20s, I'd come to appreciate pretty much everything.

I ended up going to SOAS (the School of Oriental and African Studies) to do a music degree, and everyone had to learn to play one instrument, but it has to be a non-Western one, so I chose the mbira (African thumb piano, but it's not a piano at all... it's a lamellophone). I chose it because, when I looked back at my western music upbringing, I'd deliberately avoided "black music", so I believed my sense of rhythm and lyrical ability were severely lacking - and I was right.

Fast forward 8 years... and I can now play the drums lol. My sense of rhythm and coordination from playing the mbira allowed me to push myself as a musician. And from that point on (back in 2001 when I started that music degree), I just stopped being snobbish.

Of course, there are many kinds of music I don't like the sound of, but I no longer diss them as "not really music". I love rock, metal, and electronica - and I know lots of people who don't deem rock to be "real music", never mind the metal or electronica!

#184041 by PaperDog
Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:47 am
yod wrote:Musical snobbery is based on insecurity. They put others down, hoping it will elevate themselves.

Beer snobbery is based on facts which can be measured.

There are only 2 beers in America: Shiner Bock and Sam Adams. Anyone who does not know this has never truly lived. All other brands are merely pretending to be beer...and an embarrassing comment on America's superficiality.

I'm Sorry YOD, But American Beer is flat out swill ..I cant say it any plainer than that. Some of it is 'tolerable" but, hee in the US, we even know how to f**k up a Guinness As per FDA standards... :cry:

#184048 by MikeTalbot
Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:01 am
I Like Pilsener Urquel - one of which I'm using as a chaser just now. Not abotu snobbery - it just reminds me Tuborg Gold which I thought had a real beer taste.

As to musical snobbery - I'm focused on metal these days but have to say that metal heads are almost as bad as classical fans (of which I am one also). They commonly pass the most horrific judgments, "That's not real metal!' And hold ANY other genre in contempt.

Here we explore the nexus between genres as Children of Bodom do Vivaldi's "Summer:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWx_GyTL ... re=related

Talbot

ps - now I think I'll listen to some country!

#184132 by JCP61
Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:53 am
I am definitely an unapologetic music snob,

as for beer, I can only drink what I can drink, I mean what can you do about that?

#184144 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:54 pm
Beer and music (especially guitar playing) just go together! Why else would they sell those bottle holders that slide right onto your mic stand? 8)

I was a definite music snob in my younger days. If the show wasn't rocking, I didn't bother.
I was working (volunteer) at a Dizzy Gillespie show, but left early because it was boring. :oops: Dave Mason headlines a show at the Boston Univ hockey arena one time, Robin Lane & the Chartbusters opened. I left before Mason's set because when I had seen him the last time his act was really boring. :roll: When we're young, is it ok that we were idiots if we learned from our mistakes? :shock:

#184166 by Starfish Scott
Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:19 pm
The only musical snobbery I participate in is the outright disgust of rap, dance, country and POP. I detest HARDCORE but it's tolerable in comparison.

POP is a dirty word to me.

I played "Invisible Light" for a friend of mine and I think he was angry afterwards. He called it "POP like "Duran Duran". I surmise he did this because his music is utter crap, but that didn't change the fact that I almost punched him in the face a mere millisecond after he called it "POP".

(The Duran Duran comment was bad enough.) lol