This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#135213 by KLUGMO
Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:23 pm
Hopefully the music will solve that.
#135214 by wickedbrother
Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:29 pm
tlnelson wrote:Hi, I'm new to band mix. I'm 42 years old, female, and I've been singing my whole life. I've never been able to pursue my dreams of being in a rock band. Life kept getting in the way, lack of support from parents when I was younger, getting married having kids, things like that. we still have a place in music anymore?

Any advice/comments would be welcomed :-)

Thanks,

Tracy

Wow. That sounds sooo much like my brother's and my experience. We are both over 50 and having a great time and much success with our all original band. We play out quite a bit, and find that the private club, concert venue route has worked out well for us. We even play coffee houses, to audiences of all ages. Many times, standing room only.

Don't under estimate how many older folks still like/love live rock music, but, many times just don't enjoy the enviroment it's served up in. Think outside of the box, look for alternative ways to present yourself and your music. You can do it!

You can hear us on this site: www.bandmix.com/wickedbrother (Make sure you jack in some phones... we are just three piece and if you don't hear the bass, you are missing half the music).

We may not be everyone's cup of tea, but, we love what we are doing and do have a fan base. That's the point. It's your dream, so don't let anything stop you from fulfilling it!

WB

#135261 by TheCaptain
Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:12 am
I'm gonna start a new band. It's gonna be all ppl over 50, & we'll dress up like Telletubbies & do pig squeals while we play in 3-4 different keys at the same time! I think WV is ready for this band! If you're interested, hit me up!

PhilbyDoodle, that is frikin hilarious!

#135264 by wickedbrother
Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:38 am
Well. Don't I feel silly..... I saw the date on the latest post in the right margin, and assumed this was a current thread. Pretty certain she won't get the benefit of my "wisdom" as she probably quit looking at this thread a few short weeks after starting it. Oh well. Rock on folks!

WB

#135990 by MikeTalbot
Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:06 am
"Not an artist until somebody says you are?"

I beg respectfully to differ. I was with an outfit called Millard and Dyce in the seventies (one album - now apparently a collector's item) and we taped our gigs. Some of our best performances were completely ignored by audiences and some of our worst were loudly applauded. Go figure. Do we need them to tell us what good is? If so - how could I make the statement I just did? :D

I've written a bunch of new tunes, and after 35 years of playing bass taught myself lead guitar. I hold myself to the same guitar standards I applied to the guitar players I worked with before. You've probably written songs and realize it's not quite a magic process - but they seem to come out of nowhere, almost whole. Is that not art? (I'm not sure honestly but I think so.)

I do know when when a song is good and since I write my own and am my own worst critic I don't think I need a rubber stamp to call myself an artist.

Although I'm close to putting together another outfit and I guess we'll see.

This time is different I think - because chronilogically it will have to be the last time. But this I truly believe - I have the product and know how to arrange it for ensembe playing; the question is, do I have the hussle, the time, the luck, am I in the right place etc.

Do those elements define art? Nope. Art is art if you create it in a cave some where - then play your tune once perfectly and then burn your guitar.

best
Michael Peirce (Talbot)

#135999 by jimmydanger
Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:49 am
Mike you make good points. Art is art regardless of how others see it. But there is such a thing as BAD art, and unfortunately the public does determine that. Ear of the beholders; the critic votes with his pen and the public vote with their wallets. But many artists are not appreciated during their lifetimes, so just keep doing what you're doing.

#136010 by Krul
Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:55 am
This is, without a doubt, my favorite topic. I started a thread like this one. :twisted:

As long as you are able to make good music, with fresh ideas, then you're always ready to take off somewhere. Stand in line though...

EDIT: Be realistic though. Know if you still look good doing something. Don't wear a halter top if you're in your 50's, but don't wear brown polyester pants either. Looks do have something to do with it, people need to be convinced that they believe in something real.

#136013 by Krul
Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:04 am
philbymon wrote:I'm gonna start a new band. It's gonna be all ppl over 50, & we'll dress up like Telletubbies & do pig squeals while we play in 3-4 different keys at the same time! I think WV is ready for this band! If you're interested, hit me up!

Now...if I could only come up with a humorous name for it...

You could be on to something Phil! :lol: Honestly, I would buy it.

#136459 by MikeTalbot
Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:36 am
jimmydanger wrote:Mike you make good points. Art is art regardless of how others see it. But there is such a thing as BAD art, and unfortunately the public does determine that. Ear of the beholders; the critic votes with his pen and the public vote with their wallets. But many artists are not appreciated during their lifetimes, so just keep doing what you're doing.

Does the public really make that determination? I don't know truly - I think there must be some objective criteria for this but I can't pin it down.

I looked at your Bandmix site - I like you music. (I even like the cover tunes you have - Iggy? Hah!) I'm moving just now but when I get my music room put back in order I guess I'll have to put something together and post it up there too or feel a fool.

You made one point on your site that really struck me - a second chair guitarist to ultimately take over from you. That's exactly how I view my next band. I've been sort of uninspired by the older guys (like me) that I've jammed with so far - I don't care much for playing cover music. (not faulting their competance) So i've been thinking I'd like to find a younger someone with talent to partner with and ulimtately hand it over to.

I don't rule out playing with guys my age - but I made the Hollywood scene back in the day which if nothing else taught me that it can be done so I prefer to play with folks who believe. Perhaps I'm looking for something that I won't find in GA - but I'm sure gonna try. And damnit - there is always a gig out there somewhere - though you may have to turn over a few rocks to find it.

best
Talbot

#136471 by jimmydanger
Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:54 am
MikeTalbot wrote:
jimmydanger wrote:Mike you make good points. Art is art regardless of how others see it. But there is such a thing as BAD art, and unfortunately the public does determine that. Ear of the beholders; the critic votes with his pen and the public vote with their wallets. But many artists are not appreciated during their lifetimes, so just keep doing what you're doing.

Does the public really make that determination? I don't know truly - I think there must be some objective criteria for this but I can't pin it down.

I looked at your Bandmix site - I like you music. (I even like the cover tunes you have - Iggy? Hah!) I'm moving just now but when I get my music room put back in order I guess I'll have to put something together and post it up there too or feel a fool.

You made one point on your site that really struck me - a second chair guitarist to ultimately take over from you. That's exactly how I view my next band. I've been sort of uninspired by the older guys (like me) that I've jammed with so far - I don't care much for playing cover music. (not faulting their competance) So i've been thinking I'd like to find a younger someone with talent to partner with and ulimtately hand it over to.

I don't rule out playing with guys my age - but I made the Hollywood scene back in the day which if nothing else taught me that it can be done so I prefer to play with folks who believe. Perhaps I'm looking for something that I won't find in GA - but I'm sure gonna try. And damnit - there is always a gig out there somewhere - though you may have to turn over a few rocks to find it.

best
Talbot

I hear ya Mike. I've always played with younger cats, they have more energy, are willing to do something different and generally know more people. I believe your age exists only between your ears - and people of any chronological age can become old.

Thanks for the props and check my player, I change the tunes on it all the time. In fact I think I will right now.

Peace
JD

#136480 by Krul
Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:35 am
I would rather pursue any dreams I have now. I have more to offer today, plus, I don't look all used up. It could work with good timing.
#136509 by The Crossroad Agents
Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:07 am
Tracy, I'm walking proof that it's not too late to get back into the music that you love. I'm now 53 and in the past 2-3 years, my aspiring music career took off. It's work, and a touch of luck, and connecting with the right people at the right time. I think developing some mature 'muscle' in the form of confidence and stage presence is a great help, too.

I'm a bluegrass/old-time musician, and there's probably just as much if not more sexism in 'grass as there is in rock. Some people still look at a woman in a bluegrass band and think 'girl singer' when in fact I can pick like Maybelle Carter. It's a matter of finding a niche, sticking your foot in, and then searching for the next toehold.

I'm fascinated by the idea of putting together a band of all older females who can play a blend of 'grass, old-time, classic rock and blues, and go out and kick some serious butt. I may not be paying my bills with my music career (not all of them, anyway...), but we (I'm half of a duet) are getting out and getting seen, and getting paid. Check out our site at:

http://www.secondwindgrass.com

There are links to videos so you can get a taste of our style. Keep in mind these recordings are about 3 years old now, and we've definitely improved.

Hang in there. It's not too late, trust me.

Wolf

#136598 by RhythmMan
Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:06 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:" Some of our best performances were completely ignored by audiences and some of our worst were loudly applauded. Go figure. Michael Peirce (Talbot)

I've had that happen, several times. Drives me nuts.
Seems like sometimes the audience just likes the wrong song!
But - I remember what people like for next time . . .

#136599 by RhythmMan
Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:11 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:[quote=" I prefer to play with folks who believe. Talbot

X2.
If someone is wishy-washy, I'm not interested on working with them.
I need to work with folks who have passion . . .