This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#147023 by Starfish Scott
Mon May 23, 2011 3:14 pm
Ok, so I know this guy...

He just came back from London where he spent a little time working on music with a collaborator/composer. He took his whole band in anticipation of something wonderful. (cough uggh)

Well as the story goes, the composer he was working with wasn't really a good fit. This guy and the composer sat down and started to write music together. It quickly went south from there.

The composer from UK kept trying to rewrite other original material, trying to inject everything from a "dance beat" to pure "electronicia".

A lot of material was written, but it's agreed upon that it's confused and going to have to rewritten completely. (just a few good hooks and corresponding ideas on how to use them)

The original guy was pretty upset about the whole thing. They played 1x while they were there and got a warm reception, but that's the high point of it. We found out later that a disgruntled band member went behind their backs and pitched his own music to the composer.

The best part of this is that the composer didn't like the material the other chap supplied BEHIND THE BACKS of the others.

The 1st fellow didn't like the experience. He came way saying he doesn't want to work with the composer as he isn't thinking along the lines of the genre he is interested in.

Suddenly the whole band is in disarray, everyone has conflicting ideas and it looks as if they will disband.

A woman we all know had a dream about a sinking ship just prior to leaving the country initially. Omen?

Ok, shoot from the hip. Let's hear it. Questions? Thoughts? Analysis? Prognosis? Diagnosis? Treatment? Cure? Sterilization?

Gimme what you got, inquiring minds want to know what you think...
#147030 by RGMixProject
Mon May 23, 2011 4:20 pm
Capt Scott wrote:Ok, so I know this guy...

He just came back from London where he spent a little time working on music with a collaborator/composer. He took his whole band in anticipation of something wonderful. (cough uggh)

Question; Why would anyone take a band to a composer unless it was for a set project. Film, Broadway score? Even then you allow for wiggle room.
If he went there to put some new stuff together for a band.....why the hell didn't the composer come to him?

#147041 by MikeTalbot
Mon May 23, 2011 7:23 pm
Trainwreck. You already know the answer.

Continue any part of it that might be providing money and prepare to run.

Sorry

Talbot

#147043 by fisherman bob
Mon May 23, 2011 9:25 pm
Paying anybody who is an "expert" on songwriting or paying somebody to "critique" your music is a complete waste of time AND money.

#147044 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Mon May 23, 2011 9:28 pm
Sorry Capt. No joy, hearing that.

#147045 by gbheil
Mon May 23, 2011 9:48 pm
Sounds like someone totally ignored the six P's.

And most assuredly got exactly what they planned for.

Running of on a tangent will only lead you to a tangent.

#147062 by Starfish Scott
Tue May 24, 2011 3:05 am
Oh Cheesies when you work with notables, you go where they ARE..
That much should be obvious... No one is going to come to you, unless you are Justin Beiber. (wtf)

PAID? Who paid anything? Basically it was 10 days in the UK, no room, no board. Only problem I saw was that the only thing anyone saw were 2 booze dens, I.e. Dirty South and The Vibe Bar and Pick-a-dick Circus (should be renamed BILLBOARD SQUARE w/ statue Eros/cupid wtfever his name is) (I always thought there were small amusement park rides at Picadilly Circus or at least a fing Lion or 2)

The only thing that was bought was something one wouldn't talk about on a forum, well not today at least.

There were 10 tunes ready to be spit out. (no one with a 1/4 brain pays for a critique and I don't really know anyone that would pony up for a composer, I know I never will.)

I'll tell you this much, if you stay inside your zone of comfort chances are you won't be playing much of anything for anyone.

(It's scary in the big bad world and some of you need to come out of the uterus some day.) lol

Better to crash and burn than to never feel the throttle at all. You have to get yourself up and take some chances.

If you were a decent composer, would you go work with a pack of unknowns in Minnesota ? Probably not, but if they came to work with you for 10 days? Well hey, that might work..provided there was a meeting of the so called minds..
#147069 by PaperDog
Tue May 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Well as the story goes, the composer he was working with wasn't really a good fit. This guy and the composer sat down and started to write music together. It quickly went south from there.

The composer from UK kept trying to rewrite other original material, trying to inject everything from a "dance beat" to pure "electronicia".

A lot of material was written, but it's agreed upon that it's confused and going to have to rewritten completely. (just a few good hooks and corresponding ideas on how to use them)

The original guy was pretty upset about the whole thing. They played 1x while they were there and got a warm reception, but that's the high point of it. We found out later that a disgruntled band member went behind their backs and pitched his own music to the composer.

The best part of this is that the composer didn't like the material the other chap supplied BEHIND THE BACKS of the others.

The 1st fellow didn't like the experience. He came way saying he doesn't want to work with the composer as he isn't thinking along the lines of the genre he is interested in.

Suddenly the whole band is in disarray, everyone has conflicting ideas and it looks as if they will disband.

A woman we all know had a dream about a sinking ship just prior to leaving the country initially. Omen?

Ok, shoot from the hip. Let's hear it. Questions? Thoughts? Analysis? Prognosis? Diagnosis? Treatment? Cure? Sterilization?

Gimme what you got, inquiring minds want to know what you think...

Did you know that its really true about the Palace guards... They won't budge, move , burp or fart, no matter what you say or do (short of trying to bum-rush the gates). The dream about a sinking ship...I'd say the woman has concerns /anticipations about her own weight. (Not kidding...)
As for the composer, I would never, under any circumstances allow somebody else to take creative license with my original work. Better to reserve that for mutual collaboration on new material...Then you both have to adapt ..and its actually fun that way...Nobody's feelings gets hurt.

#147071 by RGMixProject
Tue May 24, 2011 12:56 pm
I guess ya do what ya gotta do. I'm sure the train is still sittin' at the station waitn' to take you where your going. Good luck in "YOUR" big bad world. I've been playing all over the world and I still don't know wtf you are talking about. I'll just mind my own business with you and hope things get better and not bitter with your future projects. Not that you need to hear this from me.

#147073 by gbheil
Tue May 24, 2011 1:08 pm
sanshouheil wrote:Sounds like someone totally ignored the six P's.

And most assuredly got exactly what they planned for.

Running of on a tangent will only lead you to a tangent.

I stand by my assessment based on information provided.

Got CD's to print and mail ...

Good-day mates.
#147074 by PaperDog
Tue May 24, 2011 1:24 pm
RGMixProject wrote:

Question; Why would anyone take a band to a composer unless it was for a set project. Film, Broadway score? Even then you allow for wiggle room.
If he went there to put some new stuff together for a band.....why the hell didn't the composer come to him?

Is it possible the effort was a lot more about the trip to London than about the music? It happens.

#147075 by PaperDog
Tue May 24, 2011 1:26 pm
RGMixProject wrote:I guess ya do what ya gotta do. I'm sure the train is still sittin' at the station waitn' to take you where your going. Good luck in "YOUR" big bad world. I've been playing all over the world and I still don't know wtf you are talking about. I'll just mind my own business with you and hope things get better and not bitter with your future projects. Not that you need to hear this from me.

All over the world! WoW! I'm 5 minutes away from a Sound Warehouse... Whats the title of your Tour CD? Love to get a copy.

#147086 by Starfish Scott
Tue May 24, 2011 4:26 pm
PaperDog wrote:As for the composer, I would never, under any circumstances allow somebody else to take creative license with my original work.

You got the right idea, never let them use what you sweat out and bled for without compensation.

RGM, I never heard of you before. I wish you well in any case. Every time I see your posts, I think about that horrible lisp on that demo/sample/whatever it was. I know you weren't playing THAT all over the world.

Sans, I'd love to hear your CD when it's done. I doubt any angels are present during your rehearsal(s)/recording(s)/show(s), which is a shame because you guys need help.

I know I'd love help of any kind instead of what people usually do in general.

Maybe that's the key to the whole thing? Divine Intervention>? IDK

But I wouldn't rule anything out at this point..just like I wouldn't be sure of anything I wasn't 100% sure of.. Some seem to have a knack for that.

And we all know what happens when we assume.

#147094 by Chaeya
Tue May 24, 2011 6:58 pm
I love the UK as far as music goes; however, it depends on what music you want to get into. If you're doing Rock or any subgenre thereof, you're in the wrong town. They love all that old Motown sh*t, techno, electronica, dance, and weak, watered down Alternative. I mean from a "making something happen" standpoint. I still love it over there and what I like is they're very passionate about making music. You can easily get something happening quick if you have a clear idea what you want to do and as long as it fit along the lines as I mentioned above.
If you want to do Rock or Metal, you'll have to hit up the Skandanavians or the Germans.

Chaeya