This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#146808 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Wed May 18, 2011 11:21 pm
First I am not looking for any critiques, thanks anyway. 2 tracks at my home page.
I was just working on a "filler" song and maybe this will help someone from spending some bucks in the STUDIO and wasting some time and money.
I'm not going to leave these up more than a week or two, these are scratch tracks to work out Ideas. I can move very fast in my own studio. Time spent was less than 5 hours, to try a bunch of different ideas.
I hope that any one spending money in a studio understands the biggest mistake I made was something as simple as TEMPO. The first track was at 144bpm, the second was at 152bpm. Not a big difference. But it is.
Foot note: thanks capt scott.... You just lit a whole new fire under my butt. Cool man.

#146821 by ChaosZen
Thu May 19, 2011 4:26 am
Having had my own studio in the past, I would like to add that some of the best advice that can be given to a musician is to simply be ready. If you have to practice your takedown and setup beforehand, several times, so you can shave off some of the wasted setup time. As a band, don't stand around waiting for other members to get their stuff together. By practicing as a band, you'll get an idea of where the most help is needed or should be afforded in order to quickly get the whole band set up as needed. I have seen bands waste as much time as 15 to 30 minutes or more in just setup and cleanup. That's time that the studio still gets paid for, usually out of your own pocket.

Secondly, the studio may not be the best place to make revisions or work out kinks. Go over the ideas and practice outside of the studio first. If you can't decide which of two options might sound better in the studio, then make plans to record both. It will be a lot cheaper than discussing it in the studio and a lot cheaper than having to come back later and do it again.

Playback time inside the studio is still studio time and still costs money. Avoid thinking that you need to listen to every track before moving on to the next.

Check any plugs, batteries, cables, strings or other accesories before packing up to go to the studio and if neccessary and possible, again before time to setup, or it becomes costly setup time. A second check may not always be possible or easy for some of the heavier gear, but it doesn't mean you can't pop open the guitar cases to check tuning, or open your FX boards to make sure everything is plugged up the way you want or has fresh batteries if not using addapters, to avoid having something slow down your setup or cut out during recording.

#146833 by gbheil
Thu May 19, 2011 2:43 pm
Great input.

For me I just have to realize that there will be mistakes in studio.
Just being there and enjoying the process vs being square and up tight will reduce the stress.
Stress shows in everything you do.

Studio cash is cash well spent. Think of it as a vacation from the normal.

And freakin :D

#146920 by drag57
Sat May 21, 2011 3:05 pm
practice at rehearsal be ready to nail it on the first take and do not take chances.play it the same way you did at rehearsal.if you`re not ready to do this then you`re gonna run out of money real quick.do not let the engineer play the roll of producer,if you do this it will run into more hours (money).you must know what you want before you go into the studio.go over dry runs at rehearsal as if you were in the the studio.