This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#145412 by Mike Nobody
Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:26 pm

Black Metal!

#145413 by Jahva
Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:56 pm
Mike Nobody wrote:Image

Black Metal!

If that's Black Death I saw them back in Cleveland in the early 80's. I was just getting into Priest and Iron Maiden around that time. They use to play the diviest clubs in the city. But they were loud and fast. I never seen anything like them before.
Real Pioneers!

#145420 by drag57
Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:26 pm
did they record anything?it would be interesting to hear.
#145471 by Crunchysoundbite
Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:47 am
Some one correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Jimmy Vaun The lead guitarist for Living Colour? I thought he was white. If that's true, being Stevie's brother, wouldn't that really discount them as an example as a "Black" band? Especially considering how much of the sound input is Jimmy. And while I'm on the subject, to me, when you spell the word colour that way, it implies English roots. What I find interesting is that Jimmy Hendrix was discovered in England, even though he was American. Perhaps blacks should seek their fame in England and come back as Jimmy did. There may be a chemitry to that. :?
#145480 by Jahva
Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:15 am
Crunchysoundbite wrote:Some one correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Jimmy Vaun The lead guitarist for Living Colour? I thought he was white. If that's true, being Stevie's brother, wouldn't that really discount them as an example as a "Black" band? Especially considering how much of the sound input is Jimmy. And while I'm on the subject, to me, when you spell the word colour that way, it implies English roots. What I find interesting is that Jimmy Hendrix was discovered in England, even though he was American. Perhaps blacks should seek their fame in England and come back as Jimmy did. There may be a chemitry to that. :?

His band was or is The Fabulous Thunderbirds

#145484 by Crunchysoundbite
Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:42 pm
Thank you, Jahva :oops:
#145495 by toxicmetal11
Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:56 pm
HOLD ON EVERYBODY WHO HAS POSTED ON THIS SUBJECT: While I can't name a lot I can name a few BLACK METAL BANDS whose only reason I can think of for still not being around is the lousy music business itself and the setereotypes of Hip Hop and Rap it has catered to ever since black artists began to complain they were not getting their due credit in the 80s heyday of MTV. There was LIVING COLOR who had a pretty decent hit with "Cult Of Personality" and then there was BAD BRAINS who most likely a few decades too soon to appeal to all but a very small but HARDCORE following. I heard the latter was so energetic as live performers that they literally demolished the stage, or came close. I loved their music c'os it broke the established status quo and I HAD NO IDEA THEY WERE BLACK until I saw a pic of them on stage. LIVING COLOR's second full length release was slightly more subdued than their first but still showed they had they ability to throw in some of what worked on their debut and some variety on their second release. But unfortunately I think it comes down to CULTURE; black people tend (and I don't mean this as a racial slur or anything to maintain what they've chosen as a big money garuntee) but in general I find blacks to be loose, lanky, smooth, funky, a little rock n' roll, mostly blues guys. As for Metal, well, it just doesn't seem to be an integral part of their DNA. PLEASE CORRECT IF I'M WAY OUT OF LINE HERE. I sincerely more blacks were a part of the METAL ARMY c'os Hendrix certainly bordered on Metal at times and he did it better than ANYONE else, influencing two generations of guitar-wielding hot shots and showing how volume, not GAIN, was the way to make people take notice. And, he grew with each successive album. Had the brother not died so young (it was the scene and the times that took him as well as the drugs) he probably would have turned Hip Hop into a new vibe, adding more guitar and stressing that bustin' a heavy rhyme, which ain't no easy feat, can be part and parcel of both rock and hop - ROCK HOP? I don't know man, I am also into A LOT of Jazz Fusion and some of the most hidesously good players in this realm are BLACK: TONY WILLIAMS, BILLY COBHAM, LENNY WHITE ETC. If anyone would LOVE to see more black Metal Mayhem, bring it on brothers, c'os I'll bet they can do it as good, if not better. LIVING COLOR may have been a fluke, I ain't sure. But its high time black dudes and ladies got it that they don't have to limit themselves to the current generes they have locked themselves into. KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING 'BOUT?? I'LL BET YOU DO!!!! BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!! 8)
5KVJOHN wrote:i find it very strange that there are no blacks in metal.blacks showed the white man how to rock n roll.there would be nothing but country if that did`nt happen.and it took a black man to show the white man how to rock(hendrix).there would be noting but beach boys music if not for hendrix.so the question is what happend?why no blacks in metal in general.living color did`nt last and is only one.

#145497 by jw123
Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:03 pm
I just remembered in the late 70s there was a multi racial band called Mothers Finest that seemed to open every freaking concert at the Mid South Coliseum, they are from Atlanta and still play. They were pretty heavy for the time.

#145501 by 1collaborator
Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:57 pm
Mothers Finest rocked ! Probably in my top ten list of good times .But I get confused as to what people consider as metal anymore. Too many subgenre catagories anymore. I just consider it all to be 'Rock n Roll' ! I think there's a lot influence in rock from all colors of the rainbow. And I believe MF is still rocking after 35 years.

#145509 by Krul
Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:19 pm
Back at my old rehearsal studio there was an all black Metal band. There's more out there than you think.

#145517 by Chaeya
Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:41 am
Toxic, you're on the right track. But it's true the record companies discouraged black people from getting into Rock. Mother's Finest (I met them by the way) went through hell and then pretty much were pushed back into doing R&B type songs. I caught all kinds of hell. And like I wrote above, a huge number of black people, because of cultural conditioning refuse to jump on the rock, punk bandwagon. When I dress the way I do, I catch more hell from black people than I do anyone else because they just won't jump out of the box. Many black punkers and rockers have complained more from the lack of support and downright ostracizing from black people themselves than from whites.

Chaeya

#145633 by Black57
Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:50 pm
Chaeya wrote:Toxic, you're on the right track. But it's true the record companies discouraged black people from getting into Rock. Mother's Finest (I met them by the way) went through hell and then pretty much were pushed back into doing R&B type songs. I caught all kinds of hell. And like I wrote above, a huge number of black people, because of cultural conditioning refuse to jump on the rock, punk bandwagon. When I dress the way I do, I catch more hell from black people than I do anyone else because they just won't jump out of the box. Many black punkers and rockers have complained more from the lack of support and downright ostracizing from black people themselves than from whites.

Chaeya

Jada Pinket Smith was once in a "non-traditional" band . She is a fan of Heavy Metal and co-hosted a special a woulpe of years ago featuring Ozzie Osborn and Heart.

#145638 by Chaeya
Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:58 pm
I know, it was a metal band and my friend played bass for her. They toured until something went down with the guitar player. Still, she used her status as an actress to get the press she got, mainly, her own money.

Chaeya