This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#145286 by drag57
Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:59 pm
i find it very strange that there are no blacks in metal.blacks showed the white man how to rock n roll.there would be nothing but country if that did`nt happen.and it took a black man to show the white man how to rock(hendrix).there would be noting but beach boys music if not for hendrix.so the question is what happend?why no blacks in metal in general.living color did`nt last and is only one.

#145293 by gbheil
Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:53 pm
Was a blending of cultures that has created all of the traditional American genre' IMO.

I would not credit any one race.

Though I'd love to have someone to blame for poop music ( pop ) :twisted:

#145299 by Chaeya
Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:27 am
There are black metal bands out there.

Sepultra has a black lead singer from Brazil - http://sepultura.uol.com.br/v7/

Straight Line Stitch with Alexis Brown - http://www.myspace.com/straightlinestitch

There's more.

In the past, from my experience with record labels, they wouldn't promote black rock or metal. Black people were discouraged from even trying. I went through this, even to the point of getting shunned by both A&R on down to other white rock bands. It was okay, if you would be that inconspicuous member in the background, but not up front.

However, the blame can't all fall on white people for this. Black people have contributed just as much to the problem by failing to support black rock as well, talking smack about Jimi Hendrix. When I was young, I remember Hendrix being called a sell-out. I got into a huge row on another black-owned board about my participation in rock and my marriage to a non-black man, so unless black people get with the program and support it, you won't find much, and until then, black rock acts need to stop expecting them to.

Chaeya

#145314 by fisherman bob
Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:39 am
How many black stars are there/have there been in country music? I can think of ONE, Charlie Pride, and ZERO black women stars in country music. I think that's self-explanatory.

#145321 by Eddie V
Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:18 pm
Only other African-American in Country Music that has had some success is Darius Rucker.

#145330 by Eddie V
Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:36 pm
TheJohnny7Band wrote:
Eddie V wrote:Only other African-American in Country Music that has had some success is Darius Rucker.

And of course the great Ray Charles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Sou ... tern_Music

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........................................................................................................................(ok......I'll give you that one.)

:wink:

#145335 by jw123
Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:59 pm
I always thought of Living Colour as a black metal band and a lot more.

Vernon is killer

#145337 by Slacker G
Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:04 pm
Ray Charles, Darious Rucker, Charlie Pride listed in a thread about black Metal artists? I must have missed something. :?

#145342 by Crip2nite
Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:57 pm
My drummer can be a kickass metal drummer! He was also the drummer for the Neville brothers but at the same time drummer for one sick metal act called "Rough Kutt"
Last edited by Crip2nite on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#145369 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:50 pm
5KVJOHN wrote:i find it very strange that there are no blacks in metal.blacks showed the white man how to rock n roll.there would be nothing but country if that did`nt happen.and it took a black man to show the white man how to rock(hendrix).there would be noting but beach boys music if not for hendrix.so the question is what happend?why no blacks in metal in general.living color did`nt last and is only one.

You know man, you come up here you post some great music and you keep asking and posting all sorts of things that someone at your level should know. Then you don't interact with any of the people that try and answer you.

How much is Band Mix paying you? :roll:

#145393 by drag57
Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:48 am
sorry glenj will do better,thank you.oh yeah the answer to your question is zero!

#145395 by Mike Nobody
Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:19 am
I've seen more black punks than black metalheads. I think metal's image as a white boy genre is as entrenched as country music's. Both are pretty conservative. But, the same goes the other way for rap or blues. The Beastie Boys are an anomaly, being Jewish rappers who started as a hardcore punk band.

#145400 by Krul
Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:49 am
Metal is a genre where race doesen't matter. Metal is its own culture. Everybody is accepted. It's a family of its own.

Metal has always been ahead of its time by being non-discriminatory.

May not be "Metal", but the Bad Brains were one of the best bands in history!

#145405 by Shredd6
Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:51 am
Try being a white man doing traditional reggae. It's not been so easy to be accepted. But a good song is just a good song.

That's like asking why you don't see many black people in Hockey.. Well. It could easily be different if there was a passion for it. Same with Metal. I just don't think many black musicians aspire to be playing Metal. For whatever reason, I haven't a clue.

The singer for Sevendust freaking kicks ass though.