This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#139985 by gbheil
Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:39 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:I learned the hard way - figure out how many tunes you'll need and time it to be sure. Then add three more songs. It's amazing how fast you run through your material at a live gig. Particularly if the venue is not crowded when you start playing.

A good trick is to use some rehearsal time with everybody not looking at anyone else - sometimes we subconsciouly que on other people's movements which we might not be able to see at the show. And at the show - you'll need to luck straight ahead at the audiance anyway.

Good luck or should I say, Break a leg!

Talbot

I feel you right about the count ... we usual keep a trey up the sleeve too.
But we always interact with each other the same way ... more energy live though. That's just natural. Good bad or ugly, that is the way we do it.
And we get good feedback from our audiences about it.

#139989 by jimmydanger
Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:07 pm
Ten songs at an average of four minutes each is forty minutes. That's plenty for an opener.
#140003 by toxicmetal11
Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:59 pm
:shock: OMG My eye izz goin' crazeee!! Too much time on computer however its paying off, literally. I've been out of character lately, but I just got a response from my dream venue (I know a few dudes here who know which club I'm referring to) - they're promoter went to my URL and came back with a lively response and the exact date I had requested, March 8th, a Tuesday night. This is a "package gig" being heavily promoted by the club (AND I GOT MY OWN PLAN) placing bands every Tues. night Feb-March 15 at 9:00pm. Its basically two sets PAID + A BAR TAB THROWN IN. POOL AND DART TOURNAMENTS, OTHER STUFF. We are paying our dues like everybody else has had to. Rarely does any band command a weekend gig when no one knows them from JACK S@$*!!. However this could possibly, maybe, lead to something bigger. All I know is: We rock the roof off the joint, I make a connection with the crowd, sus their mood. People drink lots of booze (a shot 'o Whiskey for me prior to one song, one stage, to salute all). Doesn't faze my playing. I'LL BE BACK to the forum just prior to and after the gig. Thanks for all your supoort, especially Fisherman Bob and that wild man ImmyDanger. 8)
#140004 by toxicmetal11
Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:30 pm
Covering all the bases here, JimmyDanger's "do the math" is a safe way to go. Most of MEDUSA"s songs are in that 4:00 +/- range, with one song, our "title song" Diamonds Of Fire being 6:49 of pure runaway frieght train derails in Shangri La mescaline landscape. Our rehearsal fun and energy translated well during our first "audition", as Talbot mentioned using that time to re-create a live scenario. I just close my eyes and feel the vibe from the others. We all do impersonations so well that we leave our problems behind in noxious laughter. But rock n' roll should be fun. Joey Ramone (God bless his heart & soul) said it best "I wish people would laugh WITH US INSTEAD OF AT US. Some bands take themselves just a little too seriously. Gotta find that balance, right? :lol:

#140009 by philbymon
Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:39 pm
Seems as though you got it going on, toxic! WTG, man!
#140018 by gbheil
Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:24 pm
toxicmetal11 wrote:Covering all the bases here, JimmyDanger's "do the math" is a safe way to go. Most of MEDUSA"s songs are in that 4:00 +/- range, with one song, our "title song" Diamonds Of Fire being 6:49 of pure runaway frieght train derails in Shangri La mescaline landscape. Our rehearsal fun and energy translated well during our first "audition", as Talbot mentioned using that time to re-create a live scenario. I just close my eyes and feel the vibe from the others. We all do impersonations so well that we leave our problems behind in noxious laughter. But rock n' roll should be fun. Joey Ramone (God bless his heart & soul) said it best "I wish people would laugh WITH US INSTEAD OF AT US. Some bands take themselves just a little too seriously. Gotta find that balance, right? :lol:

Ever think about doing advertisement composition?
Pretty eloquently built phrasing for a forum posting.

Seriously ... not try to me a smart ass ... as it might seem in print.
#140029 by toxicmetal11
Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:03 pm
Not to worry sanshouheil, its a huge but unexpected compliment as was Philbymon's last post; my gut feeling is this is having taken, more or less, a leadership position in my band in addition to becoming more involved in this forum, perhaps its bringing forgotten talents to the surface. No doubt I'm going to remind myself at some point to put it to work for me in promoting this outfit. Gotta hit the road now and head down to rehearsal for tis upcoming gig.