This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#5448 by BassPlay3r
Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:47 pm
6 String = B E A D G C
7 String = B E A D G C ? (whats a 4th up from C? F?)

Although you can string them anyway you want, those are the common tunings. I really don't see a need to go below low B :D

#5449 by gexclamationpoint
Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:14 pm
howcome it's not BEADGb ?

#5450 by BassPlay3r
Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:37 pm
g! wrote:howcome it's not BEADGb ?

I was assuming it would all be tuned in 4ths like my 6. The 5 fret on my C string is F so thats my final answer :D

#5683 by BASSicallyDave
Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:04 am
Fender Schmender. Lets not forget the highly under rated Guild Pilot. Good enough for Jaco Pastorious, good enough for me. Great punchy sound. Too bad Aerosmith killed the company with Joe playing one of Guilds crappy guitars in the Run DMC Walk This Way video. I also have Tobias Growler (ok at best) and my new personal favorite, The Zebrawood Kubicki Ex-Factor. I'll get pictures later. Fun to play, VERY well balanced. Perhaps over-engineered a bit, but it's equal i have never seen. I think it all boils down to what you like to play and what sound you want. I like the big carvin amps. Everyone likes my sound, but nobody would ever buy one.

Food for thought

Guild...It's what's for dinner
#5695 by glickmpb
Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:27 pm
I have been playin my Alembic for 15 years cause it is the best all around bass I found. Its got active pickups and I can use it for slap, funk rock, etc...

Specifically, I played Zon, Warwick and Modulus and thought their sound was terrible. Zons were VERY flat sounding, Warwicks had a very bassy/jazzy sound and Modulus is COMPLETELY overpriced.

Its all about the sound your looking for.

Its funny, that Carvin looks just like my ALembic Epic =P
#5697 by BassPlay3r
Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:23 pm
glickmpb wrote:I have been playin my Alembic for 15 years cause it is the best all around bass I found. Its got active pickups and I can use it for slap, funk rock, etc...

Specifically, I played Zon, Warwick and Modulus and thought their sound was terrible. Zons were VERY flat sounding, Warwicks had a very bassy/jazzy sound and Modulus is COMPLETELY overpriced.

Its all about the sound your looking for.

Its funny, that Carvin looks just like my ALembic Epic =P

I know what you mean about the Warwicks they sound great for slap but you have to coax the farty tone out of them.

How does this

http://www.alembic.com/prod/epic.html

look like

http://www.angmar.com/modules.php?set_a ... _photo.php

=/ I don't see the similarities. Oh well beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I guess you paid my bass a compliment :D

Does you epic have the Alembic pickups/electronics or Bartolini?

#5713 by BASSicallyDave
Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:22 pm
For the record, I don't play a Carvin bass. I just play through their amps. I'm tempted to try their new ICON bass, but that Kubicki pretty much put me in the poor/dog house. Damn lab needs a bath...oh wait...that's me.

Kubicki...the OTHER white meat

#5714 by BASSicallyDave
Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:44 pm
Geez, did that sound snooty or what?

Just for fun, anyone play a Ritter? I hear you can get one in about 5 years and a few mortgages on the old house. Basslab would be another one I'd like to tinker with.

By the way, what's the secret of getting a picture to post here? all I can seem to do is get it to show a link. Does this site work better using explorer vs Firefox?

So many basses. So little time

#5735 by BassPlay3r
Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:07 pm
BASSicallyDave wrote:Geez, did that sound snooty or what?

Just for fun, anyone play a Ritter? I hear you can get one in about 5 years and a few mortgages on the old house. Basslab would be another one I'd like to tinker with.

By the way, what's the secret of getting a picture to post here? all I can seem to do is get it to show a link. Does this site work better using explorer vs Firefox?

So many basses. So little time

I owned a pre fender (CBS? :D) xfactor and really dug the sound. We even wrote a tune where I could switch the E string back and forth. I think I sold it because the short scale was a bit small for me and got the pre Gibson Tobias.

I was in a music store the other day and played a growler and they really don't compare to the ones that were made by the man himself.

Like those Carvin amps? I might try one out since I'm not really into my SWR rig anymore.

#5745 by BASSicallyDave
Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:10 pm
That D-tuner is pretty cool. I can see your point with the short scale. Hard to switch back and forth between the two. My tobias is about 3 years old so it's been "gibsonized." To be honest, I don't know why I didn't just return the damn thing. It doesn't have a good sound. Just not what I was looking for

A fool and hos money...

#5748 by BASSicallyDave
Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:18 pm
Make that a fool and HIS money.

Yes sir. I like my carvin amp. I bought it as a quick replacement when my very old, very reliable Trace-Elliot grew legs. I needed cheap and good. I have the R-1000 running through two 4x10 cabs. Very clean, VERY punchy. It's also been to hell and back, beat up, dropped, frozen, thawed, and fell off my tailgate at 10 mph. Still works like a champ. 2 broken knobs was all the damage it suffered. I hear the new B-1500 can shake your pant legs. I think it can hit 1900 watts at a 2 ohm load. That should fill the corn fields with sound.