This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#127456 by gtZip
Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:50 pm
What school did you go to for your C.I.S. degree?
Brick and mortar place or something other?

#127507 by jimmydanger
Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:57 am
Sorry Zip I didn't see this. I received my Associate's in CIS in 1987 from a community college and started working. I then went back to school in 1990 to U of M for my Bachelor's in Information Systems. It was rough, I went to school every night after work. There were no online courses back then so lots of driving back and forth. But I'm glad I did it. Go blue!

#127518 by gtZip
Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:34 am
Kinda wondering if online stuff is worth a crap in the end.

#127560 by Starfish Scott
Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:24 pm
If you were an employer, would you want to hire someone with an ONLINE DEGREE?

#127668 by gtZip
Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:03 am
Capt Scott wrote:If you were an employer, would you want to hire someone with an ONLINE DEGREE?

Yes.
Especially if the degree featured an emphasis in Pirates.

#127669 by Stranger
Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:07 am
EERRRRR....Scurvy Dog......

I'd hire a pirate......

#127690 by Starfish Scott
Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:42 am
Let me break it down to you so even you can understand.

A friend just got an online degree from Phoenix

http://aptm.phoenix.edu/?creative_desc= ... 9g3q501317

He's not getting hired, he's getting tired.

Be a dumbfaq, no one really cares at all. The world just keeps rolling.

#127707 by gtZip
Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:52 am
Capt Scott wrote:Let me break it down to you so even you can understand.

A friend just got an online degree from Phoenix

He's not getting hired, he's getting tired.

Be a dumbfaq, no one really cares at all. The world just keeps rolling.

How bout a nice Hawaiian Punch?

#127714 by Stranger
Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:00 am
Lighten up Capt Scott......

Or I'll send my University of Phoenix Pirate over there......

EEEERRRRRR.....Scurvy Dog........ :shock:

-

#127719 by jimmydanger
Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:33 pm
Capt Scott wrote:If you were an employer, would you want to hire someone with an ONLINE DEGREE?

Absolutely, if the person had expertise in the tools I was using. For example, we're implementing BizTalk; if an applicant was to know this app his/her chances would be pretty good to be hired on a contract basis at least. The money would not be as good as an experienced candidate would command but it's a foot in the door.

#127737 by Starfish Scott
Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:32 pm
jimmydanger wrote:

Absolutely, if the person had expertise in the tools I was using. For example, we're implementing BizTalk; if an applicant was to know this app his/her chances would be pretty good to be hired on a contract basis at least. The money would not be as good as an experienced candidate would command but it's a foot in the door.

Jimmy, I can see your point if we are talking "IT".

If not, the argument doesn't hold water.

For every opening 'round here, we have 50 people applying for it.
(unless it's just crap)
In that 50, how many do you think have online degrees?

Now when they disseminate and hire someone, do you really think outside of information tech anyone with an online degree has a chance?

LOL HELL NO. You better have something that says you are able to do the job at hand as well, else you are a nuisance at best.

#127746 by jimmydanger
Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:30 pm
I suppose if it comes down to a candidate having a Harvard MBA and a candidate having an online degree it might make a bigger difference, but honestly experience, enthusiasm and how well the candidate presents him/herself are way bigger factors. I would just say get the best degree you can afford to get; if getting it online is your best option go for it.

#127840 by Starfish Scott
Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:18 am
jimmydanger wrote:I suppose if it comes down to a candidate having a Harvard MBA and a candidate having an online degree it might make a bigger difference, but honestly experience, enthusiasm and how well the candidate presents him/herself are way bigger factors. I would just say get the best degree you can afford to get; if getting it online is your best option go for it.

Jimmy, you'd make a great boss..

#127861 by gbheil
Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:23 am
Yeah don,t EVER hire the scurvy dog from harvard.

that was some funny sh*t Stranger. :lol:

#127908 by jimmydanger
Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:45 pm
Capt Scott wrote:
jimmydanger wrote:I suppose if it comes down to a candidate having a Harvard MBA and a candidate having an online degree it might make a bigger difference, but honestly experience, enthusiasm and how well the candidate presents him/herself are way bigger factors. I would just say get the best degree you can afford to get; if getting it online is your best option go for it.

Jimmy, you'd make a great boss..

Naw, they tried to make me VP of IT once upon a time and I turned it down. I'd rather code, it's an honest living.