This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#106121 by Dewy
Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:18 pm
Still got to let them know about BOGO beer or the 3 folks that show up get drunk and have to sleep at the bar.

How to reach folks to let them know is the real question... not the enticement.

Radio... eh, better for some things than others. Most radio listeners aren't riding around wondering which bar to goto.

Newspaper... again, people reading the newspaper aren't looking for a bar.

No sense in advertising 30 miles from the gig... need something direct that gets passer-by's attention. The inflatable Gorilla, the flashing Neon sign... flyers in the neighborhood... tried and true.

#106126 by gtZip
Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:57 pm
Dewy wrote:Still got to let them know about BOGO beer or the 3 folks that show up get drunk and have to sleep at the bar.

Radio... eh, better for some things than others. Most radio listeners aren't riding around wondering which bar to goto.

No sense in advertising 30 miles from the gig... need something direct that gets passer-by's attention. The inflatable Gorilla, the flashing Neon sign... flyers in the neighborhood... tried and true.

Lots of blue collar workers have a radio on while the go about their work day, they like to blow off some steam in the evening, and they have the money to do so.
People such as construction workers, mechanics, couriers, pizza delivery guys, etc.
They arent listening to the radio wondering which bar to go to, theyre just listening.
A good percentage of them are planning on going out drinking anyway, especially if its a friday or saturday night, so its just a matter of planting Bobs Country Bunker into their brains.

Radio promotion is still the best bang for their buck, in my opinion.
I've been a part of 4 or 5 radio promos, and it hasnt failed yet.

But... the bar/club has to get the ball rolling - it's too expensive to just place your own radio ads.

#106153 by RebelJustice
Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:09 am
Radio and Causes.
That is how you do it.
My brother runs a bar, and the owner has been "fixing it up" for a year.
Outside looks great, but the inside leaves a bit to be desired. Through all of the demolishon and reconstruction, most of the patrons have been cool. The problem is that the bandstand in the back, as well as the pool tables are in the construction zone, and most people dont want to tiptoe around obsticles. The best way to get them in is by holding rallys or "cause gatherings". My brother is fortunate that a lot of bikers like to hang out there, so "Toy runs", "community action" runs, "poker runs", "Cancer runs" and a shitload of other "causes" create the spark. And any radio station worth their weight is going to jump on board. And that is how the bar gets free PR, the cause gets it's PR and ultimately help, and most importantly - the band gets free PR. Sure people have to look at a place that is in the process of renovation - but once the band starts and the alcohol flows - the place looks great and the gig is on.
So,
find a cause - and you've found your cure...

It's just my opinion - but ya'll are entitled to it...

CJ

#106338 by fisherman bob
Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:21 am
You've got to be careful how many benefit shows you do. There is a bunch of them all the time in Kansas City. I know a really good musician that participates in and/or runs them all the time. Sure it's a way to get in front of more people but with NO pay. When you do free shows all the time everybody expects you to play for free. I've participated in a handful of benefit shows, but I'm not one to do a lot of them. There's also a bunch of blues jams in the Kansas City area. I've hosted a few years ago. A lot of the host bands do that also for free or next to nothing. Everybody is desperate to play in front of pople. I'm NOT desperate. I appreciate all your ideas. There's a bunch of very inexpensive or free ways for a bar to promote itself. I only have so much time to help with that. I'm doing my part. We've been working our butts off developing a good repertoire and we play our butts off. I just hope that the places we play try a little harder to do their part. I know in this economy it isn't easy, but there has to be a way. I think ultimately the way is to set up a consistent form of entertainment, whether it's live bands or not. And then stick with whatever you set up for at least a year. The regular patrons will know the quality (or lack of) they will get for the foreseeable future. If I could only find two places we could play at once a month for the next year. That would be sweet but I'm not holding my breath....

#106339 by fisherman bob
Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:27 am
Dewy wrote:Still got to let them know about BOGO beer or the 3 folks that show up get drunk and have to sleep at the bar.

We have a community radio station in town that is supposed to promote local bands and local venues. The DJ's are supposed to be volunteers. I'm not too keen on this particular radio station. I have found some hidden agendas on there that kind of create a major conflict of interest. I won't bore you with the details but a radio ad campaign on a station that caries the genres that the bands play at your venue is probably going to be the best bang for the buck. I have sadly found that the "listener supported community" radio station has been disappointing to me and my efforts at self promotion.