This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#252532 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:26 pm
Was it Stephen Stills who said that? (Woodstock).

Its not that hard to find band members, it's hard to find GOOD band members!
#252536 by Daniel Towsley
Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:31 pm
I just wanted to post given people seemingly having issues finding members. I live in Flagstaff, AZ for one. And even here it is not impossible to find dedicated people to play with. And here we are very small. I also have friends in NJ,NY,Ohio etc that also play, and never hear of a 'shortage' or lack of people to play with. The thing that really changes here is how picky some are. And many bands do tend to be picky. If you want to be able to play give someone who sounds okay on a trial run a shot. Sometimes it takes time for someone to mesh into a group before good happens. Others are lucky to be good right off. Though I've also run into groups were certain players were good and the rest of the band was crap. Like hey that drummer is pretty awesome but singer and the rest suck scenario. Or the band where everyone thinks they are the star, come on I know you know them. Playing with a good mesh of people takes not just musical talent but also politics and personal skill. So if you can get a member who is decent but excels at the political or personal aspect with that band. Then the lack in being 'good' via playing is shadowed by their ability to bring order and opportunity into the mix. I say decent not 'crappy' as mentioned above , or they don't know what to do with their instrument besides smash it types. Its like bands are skipping people in the skill set of a high 4 through a mid 8. And wanting to find that high 8 to high 10 talent. Start giving people chances whom you might not otherwise do. Take that chance. It may just work out, and if not try again. Stop looking always for that 8-10 talent. Most bands are not professional with a major contract. So in my opinion do not have that option of 8-10 only picky. Take what you can get, try to work together, mold together. And maybe just maybe that person will work out better than the 8-10 you were initially looking for. You could also find someone average as a level 5 player, that blooms into a 10 .. a gem in the rough. If you have the time and the patience work with it and them. And also there everyone has time. The only time we do not have, is when it no longer exists and we are dead. Then what does it matter? Maybe I am ranting to people who will see things differently than this post. It is their right to do so. It doesn't make some of these points any less valid.
#252579 by schmedidiah
Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:52 am
That's my approach lately, Daniel. I play with a good guitarist/ bassist, who brought along a guy who only recently started playing drums and is a pretty good self taught guitarist. We had another drummer for the first few rehearsals, but he left the state for work. But the other guy who was playing lead guitar sat in on drums and he could play along to all of my songs. I was floored. I've been playing with him for about 2 years now.
#252598 by Planetguy
Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:47 pm
i've bragged before about how lucky i am on many levels. besides being lucky in love (AND marriage) i've always been damn lucky finding good musicians who are also fine, upstanding, smart, and funny people to play with. and this since moving to MID MISSOURI in 1984 no less! ("TOTO we're NOT in NYC anymore")

some people are lucky to be playing in a group w the kind of folks i mentioned above. i play in three! and Katie Jo & The Tavern Rattlers....a short lived but much enjoyed retro country/honky is now reforming making it four groups. we got together the other day to prct for an upcoming gig and the chemistry was great! i'm very excited to be getting that deal going again.

all that said.....i think it's important to keep in mind that EVERYTHING in life is a compromise. and some people are more willing to compromise than others, and willing to give up THIS...to have THAT. finding that balance of what can you live with...and still be happy. that's huge. certainly so in this whole music racket.

here's a photo of Katie Jo & The Tavern Rattlers from our last gig....private party outside on a very hot day. i'd welcome some hot days now!

can you guess which one is Katie Jo? hint..that AIN'T me wearing the dress (though, i DO have the legs to pull it off!)

#252613 by schmedidiah
Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:09 am
MikeTalbot wrote:Daniel

It's very difficult to read your post without paragraphs.

cheers
Talbot

The welcoming committee! :wink: