This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#18094 by RhythmMan
Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:18 pm
I actually considered that for a bit, because most of my bass patterns for my songs are too hard to play for . . . well, any bass player I've met in the last few years, anyway . . .
And, I've been looking, believe me . . .
But, I really, really dislike hearing any musician playing along to a pre-recorded track when playing out, and so I refuse to do it.
Hmmm, actually, the one exception was K. T. Tunstall, but she recorded the tracks right in front of your face, on-stage . . . "Black Horse & the Cherry Tree," it was cool . . .

#137182 by Lead Guitarist Available300272
Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:11 pm
bro Jason wrote:Yea ! same crap here in S. Florida. I run into musicians being late & leaving early or not showing up at all. I've been finding out that theres alot of musicians that are either flakes or have to much baggage. I wish some of you guys were closer. I need dedicated & prof. musicians that eat and sleep music.

Are you still looking for people? I'm looking for a drummer. [email protected]

#137208 by Krul
Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:51 am
People don't seem to take the risks that they used to, like relocating. A lot of the good, dedicated talent I've met live far away. I would consider relocating if it was in a good area for music, and the goals were right. I live in one of the most demanding areas for music though. What makes it hard to find the right people over here, is the fact that all the well needed musicians to fill a band position are always taken as soon as they're available i.e. drummers and bass players. Guitarists have it rough, even the best of em.

#137491 by Al von-twizlewinkle
Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:50 am
Yeah its a bumber . Everyone I meet is either a alchoholic or a complete arse hole. It gets a bit stagnent doing it all on computer. Seems like its mostly youngsters now days ,and there all into heavy mettle. Ime 35 and find the idea of making a lot of hidious loud noise unapealing. I play bass ,and I had a jam with a guitar player the other day who unfurtunetly seems to run on beer as aposed to oxagen or protien and there were onley two moments when we realy gelled for a brief moment. But at least it reminded me what it feels like when it comes together.
Hang in there amigos.

#137498 by gbheil
Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:57 am
Al von-twizlewinkle wrote:Yeah its a bumber . Everyone I meet is either a alcoholic or a complete arse hole. It gets a bit stagnant doing it all on computer. Seems like its mostly youngsters now days ,and there all into heavy mettle. I'm 35 and find the idea of making a lot of hideous loud noise unappealing. I play bass ,and I had a jam with a guitar player the other day who unfortunately seems to run on beer as apposed to oxygen or protein and there were only two moments when we really jelled for a brief moment. But at least it reminded me what it feels like when it comes together.
Hang in there amigos.

This much is for certain.
You must be persistent.
I live in a small town, our members have driven as much as 45 miles one way to participate. Still our drummer drives about 30 miles one way.
If we can pull together a band in a relatively low population density area then many of you in more urban areas can too.

#137507 by wickedbrother
Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:10 am
Kruliosis wrote:People don't seem to take the risks that they used to, like relocating. A lot of the good, dedicated talent I've met live far away. I would consider relocating if it was in a good area for music, and the goals were right. I live in one of the most demanding areas for music though. What makes it hard to find the right people over here, is the fact that all the well needed musicians to fill a band position are always taken as soon as they're available i.e. drummers and bass players. Guitarists have it rough, even the best of em.

So...are you saying that even an older bassist like me would be able to find work near were you live? "cause I gotta tell ya.... I'm really getting sick of Michigan Winters, and the Michigan economy!

WB

#137511 by Al von-twizlewinkle
Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:40 am
Yeah , Ive realised I'll have to broaden my search paramiters. Its worth traveling a bit further to get together with people less flakey. It would be nice and easy if I could find people who live round the corner but , I havent. And like some one else said on this ,there needs to be a trust and understanding and freandship between musicians , and I dont make freandes easly ,allso most musicians are wierdos , I certainly am . Just wish I could bump into a few more of my type of wierdo.
Peacefull wierdos .
Well , we perservere.
Anyway Ime of to the wierdo club , to play wierd yartzee with cat teeth and lemon rinds.
Toodle pip.

#137515 by Krul
Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:09 am
wickedbrother wrote:
Kruliosis wrote:People don't seem to take the risks that they used to, like relocating. A lot of the good, dedicated talent I've met live far away. I would consider relocating if it was in a good area for music, and the goals were right. I live in one of the most demanding areas for music though. What makes it hard to find the right people over here, is the fact that all the well needed musicians to fill a band position are always taken as soon as they're available i.e. drummers and bass players. Guitarists have it rough, even the best of em.

So...are you saying that even an older bassist like me would be able to find work near were you live? "cause I gotta tell ya.... I'm really getting sick of Michigan Winters, and the Michigan economy!

WB

Over here, you would have the luxury of picking and choosing the band to play in as a bass player. 9 out of 10 bands in the Bay Area looking for musicians, are looking for either, bassists, drummers, or both. Come over here, and you could be in as many bands as you wanted.

EDIT: If you DO come out here, then I urge you to come start a band with me! :D
Last edited by Krul on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

#137516 by Krul
Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:11 am
Al von-twizlewinkle wrote:Yeah , Ive realised I'll have to broaden my search paramiters. Its worth traveling a bit further to get together with people less flakey. It would be nice and easy if I could find people who live round the corner but , I havent. And like some one else said on this ,there needs to be a trust and understanding and freandship between musicians , and I dont make freandes easly ,allso most musicians are wierdos , I certainly am . Just wish I could bump into a few more of my type of wierdo.
Peacefull wierdos .
Well , we perservere.
Anyway Ime of to the wierdo club , to play wierd yartzee with cat teeth and lemon rinds.
Toodle pip.

Good weirdo's are hard to find. But when they're around, it's like family. :)

#137549 by wickedbrother
Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:43 pm
Kruliosis wrote: "EDIT: If you DO come out here, then I urge you to come start a band with me! :D[/quote]

If I do move to California, I would definitely look you up...It wouldn't be overnight, as I have a ton of loose ends to tie up, not the least of which is a house to sell.

Same goes on this end... If you are ever in the mid-west and make a stop in Michigan before I get out of here... Let me know, we'll jam and show you some northern hospitality!

WB

#137550 by Mike Nobody
Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:47 pm
wickedbrother wrote:Same goes on this end... If you are ever in the mid-west and make a stop in Michigan before I get out of here... Let me know, we'll jam and show you some northern hospitality!

WB

Yeah, but, I'm closer. :lol:

#137556 by MikeTalbot
Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:25 pm
Irminsul wrote:Additional point....the synergy of other individuals can not only help your developement but in some cases can birth a whole new sound and music writing direction. You may not like them, But U2 comes to mind.

That is exactly right. I'm renovating a garage to be my music space (its a tradition) and have already starting jamming with people to see what I can find. I've put together roughly 5 songs out of the twenty or so I'd planned to have arranged by last September. Takes much longer working alone - as you said - no synergy to give it a boost.

I can remember being rather surprised by how my own songs sounded when the band would get hold of them - I want that again. Its the most fun I think when you're not the only songwriter - working up parts for other people's tunes is a lot of fun too.

Note - I have to agree with much of what I see you all saying about finding people. I'm really disapointed with people my own age so far - seem to have lost much of the sparkle that makes this fun. I realize I'll end up scraping gigs out of the dustbin to play original music in Georgia, but I always work as if I have an audition coming up to play in Carnegie Hall. You gotta believe! :wink:

cheers
Talbot

#137562 by KLUGMO
Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:56 pm
I havn't found it hard at all here in VA. to find people of
quality. The hard part was finding the right situation for me.
I am a singer/songwriter and needed someone that believed in me
and my particular talents. The owner of the label found me actually
through BM and was impressed with the music I had on my profile.
I have since removed it but my voice and songs impressed him enough
that he gave me a serious audition and now he has given me the reigns
of a project he is funding and almost complete control. I'm in heaven.
We are half way through recording an album now and he has offered me a long term deal. I've been blessed and I have to pinch myself sometimes.

#137581 by Prevost82
Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:22 pm
:D :D :D :D :D

#137584 by gbheil
Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:50 pm
KLUGMO wrote:I havn't found it hard at all here in VA. to find people of
quality. The hard part was finding the right situation for me.
I am a singer/songwriter and needed someone that believed in me
and my particular talents. The owner of the label found me actually
through BM and was impressed with the music I had on my profile.
I have since removed it but my voice and songs impressed him enough
that he gave me a serious audition and now he has given me the reigns
of a project he is funding and almost complete control. I'm in heaven.
We are half way through recording an album now and he has offered me a long term deal. I've been blessed and I have to pinch myself sometimes.

AWESOME ... :D