This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#6752 by Vocals & Bass
Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:10 pm
On my 4th. drummer since Janurary! Think I finally got the one we've been looking for. This guy has great dynamics! Been in a couple of bands with him before, So keep looking in your local area guys for band members. Usually, the musician your looking for is right under your nose. [Your Area]. Keep it FAMILY. Wish us Luck.......Peace.

#9172 by AJ6stringsting
Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:53 pm
I've been having trouble putting a band together my self. I'm really into the shred guitar music from the 60's, 70's and especially the 80's. I got lots of originals and love doing covers. I find a lot of guys that don't like doing covers tend to do sloppy versions of those covers. Plus in my area there are to many big egos, nepotism and high meth abuse. I'm easy to get along with but as soon as those 3 issues come up that I mentioned, I tend to quit playing with bands . I'm not giving up !!!! :D By the way Dover.............best of Luck !!!!! 8)

#9205 by Bytor10464
Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:29 am
I may only be echoing everyone else on here, but hey!---I'm a newbie!!!

Finding likeminded musicians is akin to finding the proverbial neede in the haystack---everyone's either got an ego, or their own idea of how musicians SHOULD BE...... and no one seems to understand that music is as personal and individual as the musicians, themselves....

Good luck in your quest, and if anyone's looking for a VOCALIST in the New York City area, I'm open to ideas, and might even whore myself out as a rent-a-vocalist, if things don't start happening soon......

:|

#9464 by Werewolf67
Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:45 am
I've found in my neck of the woods it's either you need an ego 50' tall to compete in the covertune department or a need to due pharmacutical research on industrial levels! Whatever happened about playing for the music?

I've run across a couple situations where it was a matter of money (lead singer wanted a second guitar but the others didn't want to take a pay cut) which works in a way I suppose....but when you're covering AC/DC and only have a bass holding it together in a solo, it sounds alittle thin :?

ANd original music...sheesh, finding people who aren't into their own thing and are willing to expand their horizons is about impossible. I'm gonna put a couple doodle demos up on my profile just for giggles now.

Keep on rockin!

#9521 by Carey Carter
Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:08 am
It's sad, but reading this post makes me feel not so alone in my misery. All of you are right! We're all in the same boat, too!

I had a band together for about three years in Ottawa, though it changed a few members over the time, for various reasons. But it was a good, rockin' blues band. For the final year and a half of that band, we had revolving drummers. I had about four on the list and could get one to come to gig for money. They all knew the material, so it worked. But they all did pickup gigs (subbing), so it was whoever wasn't booked that night. Only, if somebody offered a few more bucks, they'd call and cancel you, to go for the bigger night's pay - I'm talking last minute here. It was fairly stressful.

Then I had to move to Florida to help my mom. I was going to jams for a year before I ended up joining a bar cover band (not my favourite thing, but a gig is a gig, I guess). So, after doing that a few months, circumstances changed and I hooked up with a lead player. We moved to a small town in Northeast Arkansas. Not a good geographical decision, musically. After trying to find competent, committed band members for four years now, we've given up on the area. Now we're preparing to move to Little Rock in the fall. HOORAY!

If anyone out there has ever heard of Col. Bruce Hampton and Codetalkers (they're GREAT!), Col. Bruce has a movie with a Mike Gordon from Phish. It's very, very funny - it's called "Outside Out". Col. Bruce is acting the part of a zany music teacher, and he says to Mike Gordon, in a lesson about what you need to know about music, "Most importantly - NEVER, EVER HAVE HOPE!" Well, I laughed, but it's true. And every time we'd try to get someone to commit to this band (which never worked out), those words would come back to me. It's almost become our motto - we'd just say it out loud to each other every time the plan would crash and burn.

I guess hope dies really hard, because we still have hope - but after several decades of this roller coaster, it does start to wear you down.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE OUT THERE WHO STILL HAS HOPE IN THEIR HEART, MAY ALL OF YOU FIND THE RIGHT BAND MATES, SOMEHOW.

:roll:

#9584 by Mike Gentry
Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:53 pm
Been there done that. Every story here could be my own. I'm a Blues/ Classic Rock guitarist and play drums, bass and keyboards also. I think I'm going to try the solo route as the band thing is not going anywhere right now. I'm taking voice lessons and hope to be recording soon. No vocals yet but click on my profile to hear some guitar jamming.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=591273

#10403 by Aunrietta
Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:34 am
I feel you. I have always wanted to start a band or even be apart of an existing band. But finding dedicated people that actually have talent is hard. so i'm still searching. Not as much as i use to but still at it. What i mostly run into are rapper wanna be's.

#10407 by Vocals & Bass
Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:05 am
I agree with all, It takes alot of time & effort to keep a band, Not just only together. But also [to say] 'Click as One'.... With me, I prefer to average no less than two practices a week. Within consideration of scheduled bookings.... Here today, Gone towmorrow.... 'The life of a musician'. Theres no better satisfaction, Than when you get that WAVE rolling over the audience, Performing live, With a Tight Band, [For me anyway]......Rock On!
#10439 by dev
Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:14 pm
hey dude i know exactly what you mean, well if your moving out to LA california let me know.
#10487 by Critical Daze Rocks
Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:20 pm
Yep I agree with everything that was said.
We had the perfect line up... Bass, Lead, Drums, Vocals, and Keys. Keys make a big difference, then he moved :-( Cant find one now. At least one that would mind driving about an hour to practice. I drive over an hour for practice, but thats how much I love music. I cant get enough.LOL :D
#10492 by Irminsul
Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:48 pm
BOONDOCK DEACONS wrote:Yep I agree with everything that was said.
We had the perfect line up... Bass, Lead, Drums, Vocals, and Keys. Keys make a big difference, then he moved :-( Cant find one now. At least one that would mind driving about an hour to practice. I drive over an hour for practice, but thats how much I love music. I cant get enough.LOL :D

Around here, just about every band and their dog wants a bass player or a drummer. I have now figured out why - bass players and drummers tend to be "support role" band members and operate behind the spotlight stealers ;)

#10496 by [email protected]
Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:10 pm
I NEED EVERYONES HELP; I AM A ASPIRING COUNTRY SINGER IN MARYLAND AND I NEED EVERYONE WHO READS THIS TO GO TO WWW.WPOC.COM (A LOCAL RADIO STATION)

THEN CLICK ON "VOTE NATIONAL ANTHEM" THEN CLICK ON MY NAME
KELLEY LARSON

THEN CONTEST ENDS FRIDAY @ 5PM. YESTERDAY I WAS IN FIRST PLACE WITH 32% NOW I AM IN 4TH. I REALLY WANT THIS BAD. SO PLEASE EVERYONE WHO IS A PERFORMER KNOWS THE RUSH YOU GET ON STAGE ESPECIALLY IN FRONT OF 25,000 PEOPLE. AND SOMEONE IMPORTANT MIGHT SEE YOU. PLEASE HELP

PLEASE HELP
#10675 by kinnordaviyd
Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:32 pm
Have you all checked out www.meetyourband.com

You can check my profile out at www.meetyourband.com/kinnordaviyd

I play acoustic guitar 6 & 12 String. I live in the Downriver Detroit Area
(Flat Rock, Michigan).

Seeking: Upright Bass Player
Fiddle (Violin)
Flute (preferrably someone who plays Jazz or Celtic Flute)
Another Acoustic Guitarist or Mandolin Player

#10850 by Shabah
Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:46 am
Can you imagine if we all got together the sounds we could make!!!!!! I hear ya guys and your frustrations with people who just don't know the potential they have with their gifts. I to comb regularly to replace musicians but they don't seem committed even when they say they are. Music is also not what it use to be. Oh the good old days. Why did the good stuff end?? :cry: I started with a great band and great music, soulful music from the heart but people don't look for that anymore. But I say, keep playing, keep singing, keep persevering because that commitment will prove to reward you. So feel encouraged all of you because you are noticed!!!! :wink: I commend all of you who have been there and done it. Hi from Colorado Springs, CO. It's the same everywhere! Keep jammin!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: