This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#294415 by Jay1086
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:29 pm
While looking for players to help me get my blues band started again I continually come across players who list blues 1st on their lists of music they like to play, only to find from their profile that they really have no interest or even experience in playing blues. I see a guy who looks really interesting and then I find out that he wants to play metal/alternative/hip-hop.

Why is that? I mean, why list a kind of music you never played and never really wanted to play? I could list Klezmer music on my profile and it would make as much sense.

If you don't play blues then please don't list blues. It makes it easier on everyone.

Thank you.
#294417 by Mordgeld
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:56 pm
I just checked. I don't have the blues.
#294418 by MikeTalbot
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:22 am
Lots of folks think they can play the blues because they are able to muddle through a 1-4-5 progression.

Here is what it actually takes:
----------------------------------------

Consider the cosmic farce that is your life, recognizing that while dreadful, it will never improve and perhaps get worse. Laugh. Drink two shots of bourbon. (cheap wine can be substituted)

Pick up guitar - wail your protestations to a silent sky and bend those strings! Repeat until satisfied. (remembering of course, that you will never truly be satisfied)

Talbot
#294424 by Mordgeld
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:04 pm
I tried 12 bar blues once, but I was too drunk by the time we arrived at the third bar. I think I need some bourbon, some super-light strings, and another try at a little Albert Collins material.
#294426 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:23 pm
There are some great blues players out there. Not my thing though. Watching/listening to a blues jam, by the time the 3rd person takes a lead (1 guitar, harp player, another guitar) I'm thinking that a' definite change in chords would be REALLY nice about now!'
#294494 by Paleopete
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:32 pm
Jay - Check your local music stores, see if they have any open mic nights listed. Check their bulletin boards, often they have listings for both musicians and bands looking to play. Make up your own flyer, pout it anywhere yiu find a poubkic bulletin board. Go out and watch some of the local bands, talk to them and let them know what you[re into, some of the musicians may know people looking to play.

http://openmikes.org/

that site may help too.
#294538 by aiki_mcr
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:14 pm
I don't know about anybody else, but...

I can play blues. Local guys tell me I'm really good at it. I get sit in gigs playing blues and I enjoy them.

But I don't want to be in a blues band. Not full time.

Honestly, blues, classic rock and metal bore the crap out of me when they are a steady diet. I need to shake it up with some other stuff. Blues and classic rock I can enjoy playing in small doses, but I lost any interest in playing metal of any sort thirty years ago.

As a bass player, I realized that there are basically four blues songs on bass. Maybe five. Classic rock is a little better about that, but it's still pretty repetitive and redundant in practice (there's a lot of classic rock that's super interesting to play but nobody wants to listen to it).

So, you need a guy to sit in for your blues gig? I might be your guy. You need a guy to join your blues band as a permanent member? I'm probably not your guy.
#294541 by schmedidiah
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:41 pm
Here's a blues number that I enjoy. It shakes up the tired old format I believe. 8)

https://youtu.be/EUOcxErIYMA
(Los Lobos - 2 dogs 1 bone)
#294543 by Cajundaddy
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:02 am
The Blues is my home position and folks say I do it pretty well. Like others, I love the Blues but 4hrs would probably kill me. It's like ice cream. I love some ice cream every so often but 3 meals of ice cream per day would be a strange form of hell for me. I need to mix it in with some BBQ, some Mex, some Asian, etc.
#294548 by MikeTalbot
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:42 am
I'm primarily a bass player but I sometimes sideline on guitar. I was playing bass with a folk rock band years ago and playing lead backing up a blues artist. The guy was very good and I had a good time but it does start to all sound the same. It was fun but I wouldn't want to do it full time.

Reminded me of when I grabbed a quick bass gig with Billy Carrol and the Countrymen - before every song Billy would whisper to me, "This one's in D." Well yeah... 8)

Talbot
#294549 by Jay1086
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:41 pm
I'm not expecting anyone to like blues, I'm not expecting anyone to want to play it for 4 hours and I'm sure not expecting most musicians to even be able to play it at all. Judging from the comments on this page none of you seem to know the first thing about blues, and that's fine! By today's standards blues is about as obscure as it could get; why would anyone want to play blues in the first place unless they loved it and couldn't live without it? Now I couldn't listen to metal for 4 minutes (that goes for most rock or pop music) and I'm sure not going to list it on my page. But if you list blues on your page I expect you to at least like it, and if you don't like it and don't want to play it then don't list it. Seems fair enough , no?
#294550 by schmedidiah
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:38 am
#294556 by Jay1086
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:20 pm
No idea what that's supposed to mean.
#294557 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:43 am
Jay1086 wrote:No idea what that's supposed to mean.

I think Schmed is saying he agrees with you - but I could be wrong! :lol:
#294558 by schmedidiah
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:48 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:
Jay1086 wrote:No idea what that's supposed to mean.

I think Schmed is saying he agrees with you - but I could be wrong! :lol:

:lol:

you know what kid.....you're alright. :wink: