This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#293835 by damir1341338
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:22 am
Have you ever heard the expression “So many instruments to play, so little time to do that?” What we all usually do is try to find a guitar that connects with us on a different level and gives just the right chills during playing and stick with it. But what about the strings – when was the last time you changed them? And what brand do you prefer?

Read more at: https://musiety.com/a-review-of-the-bes ... nd-others/
#294095 by JP Owen
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:52 pm
I have Ernie Balls on all of mine, and the last time I changed strings on my #1 was a couple of years ago, but I play 'em 'til they snap.
#294096 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:13 pm
" a couple of years ago" ??? How often do you play? I change mine when they don't tune or intonate well, if the sound hasn't already dulled. My campfire guitar, which only gets played a couple of times a year, will go 2 ears between changes.
#294130 by Planetguy
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:20 am
damir1341338 wrote:What we all usually do is try to find a guitar that connects with us on a different level and gives just the right chills during playing and stick with it.

i've been happily practicing monogamy for 40 yrs w my wife.

and i have greatly enjoyed practicing polygamy with gtrs, basses, and mandos for even longer.
#294138 by Ancient Vegan
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:44 pm
Ernie Ball limegreen, when I break one string, I change them all.
#294144 by Planetguy
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 pm
LOL!!!!

:lol: :lol: Ernie Ball Lime Green :lol: :lol:

just what kind of a goober are you, AB? if you're gonna talk about the strings you use, no one cares what color the pkging is, you senile old hillbilly!

personally, i couldn't care less what strings some non gigging, non playing, poser of a musician uses.... but if you're answering the OP*...i'd think he'd likely be interested in what gauge, and whether it's steel, nickel, etc!

as usual, thanks for the laugh, AB!

* someone else explain "OP" to AB.....he's not exactly the brightest bulb around here.
#294166 by gbheil
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:30 pm
I prefer D'Addario EXL Nickel Wound Electric Guitar Strings . . .
I run 10's on my ES339, and LP Goddess.
I prefer 9's on the SG

I like the feel and tone . . .
Change depends on use / weather.
Gigging season in Texas ( outdoor festivals ETC ) is hot and humid.
May change weekly . . . I'm not a professional musician, but I've enough experience to feel & hear dead or dying steel.

George
Jericho March
#294175 by Cajundaddy
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:22 pm
I tend to play guitars in waves and one will attract me for a year or so. Currently it is my 2000 USA Strat.

For strings I prefer 10s (yellow package for AV) and I change them based on grime, wear, and intonation. When I run fingers underneath the G string and it has noticeable fret wear, it's time for them to go. Typically 1-2 months currently.
#294180 by schmedidiah
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:38 am
my strings are OOOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDDD!!!!!! :shock: 8) :lol: :roll: :mrgreen: :wink:
#294189 by MikeTalbot
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:50 pm
I tried several times to put 9s on my Firebird but it just would't stay in tune. So I put some d'addario 10s on there and it wails. Funny thing is I didn't lose anything at all in play-ability. Best action I've had. I used to put 8s on all my six strings. Go figure.

Talbot
#294197 by Mordgeld
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:36 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:I tried several times to put 9s on my Firebird but it just would't stay in tune. So I put some d'addario 10s on there and it wails. Funny thing is I didn't lose anything at all in play-ability. Best action I've had. I used to put 8s on all my six strings. Go figure.

Talbot

+1 on D'Addario 10s. They can be a little tight for some material when used on 25.5" scale or longer. On a Firebird (24.75"), I think they would feel like 9s do on my Ibanez. I also prefer the hybrid sets with heavier thick strings even when I am not drop or down tuned. I like the responsiveness of the higher tension there.

I change my strings every few months on guitars that are getting a lot of use. I play all over the fretboard, so it gets obvious when a set is done in. You start to hear those weird out of tune harmonics from a string not vibrating evenly.

I notice on my acoustic, I'm still getting the little bends in the higher strings at each fret. It feels rough when I run my finger down the string. If I go any thicker, I'm going to have trouble with full bends. I guess I just need to change them more often?
#294201 by Planetguy
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:47 pm
Mordgeld wrote:
I notice on my acoustic, I'm still getting the little bends in the higher strings at each fret. It feels rough when I run my finger down the string. If I go any thicker, I'm going to have trouble with full bends. I guess I just need to change them more often?

well, i'd say if you're bugged by whatever (intonation) problems presented by them being chewed on....yeah you'd want to change em more often. i'm sure i just stated the obvious. :D

there's an alliance, but also a war that wages between metal frets and metal strings. both sides do land their blows but thankfully the frets are usually the winners. (i'd rather change strings more often than deal w fretwork).

i do think that frets are the number one determining factor in string life and tone. fret height...a cpl of hundreds too high and that's gonna be taking a slice out strings every time the two meet! fret width has got to be a factor too....older thinner "banjo wire" sometimes a little triangular in profile that's used in some older instr, that's gotta be more trouble than a nice low profile wide or even med wide fret....and that brings up fret profiles and how well they're leveled.

i have a '90 WARWICK Stage One Steamer bass that has frets made of bell brass. they haven't been silver plated so they look like brass and it's a different type of brass than what's used in other brass frets. yeah, the frets against a pitch black fngerbrd w no markings is one of a few things that make the bass a real looker, but i think it's also a big factor in the bass's tone and it's three days of sustain. they are a very wide low profile fret that's pretty much just square little slabs of brass.

after about 6 mos when the string's tone has progressed to the point of it's imminent trip to the trash, they never have the slightest indication of any fret wear. I mean it looks as if the strings came off of a fretless neck!
#294206 by schmedidiah
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:50 am
anyone here actually boiled bass strings before? i'm intrigued but too lazy. :mrgreen:
#294213 by gbheil
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:05 pm
I seem to recall my bassist ( Eric ) and I having that conversation.
If memory serves me accurately, he said it was not effective.
If it were, I'm sure he'd still be doing so.
He's a frugal guy.
#294218 by Mordgeld
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:41 pm
schmedidiah wrote:anyone here actually boiled bass strings before? i'm intrigued but too lazy. :mrgreen:

I boiled some potato last night. It didn't sound any better.