This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#293487 by RhythmMan-2
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:39 am
Planetguy wrote:no, i didn't and don't view your reply as negative at all, AV.

I don't agree that you NEVER play for free, but I do think that many musicians should do better about not allowing themselves to be taken advantage of because they are so in need to be playing out somewhere. When they do that, they make it harder (often impossible) for musical working stiffs like your's truly to get a fair wage for our work.

i also don't think my comment was particularly negative either. it was said tongue in cheek and certainly wasn't meant as grousing at all. when it come to good, fun gigs played.....i have ZIP to grouse about. over 40 yrs, and a gazillion gigs later, i can count on one hand the "bad" gigs that i've played.

Planetguy wrote:I've played gigs that SEEMED like they were seven hrs! :lol:

hmmmm, perhaps seeing negativity where little or none exists is ....wait for it........ negative. :wink:
#293488 by RhythmMan-2
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:47 am
It's all good.
We're talking apples and oranges, here.
I was talking about being with friends and having a good time, and others were talking about working.
We're good, here.
Incidentally, in the summertime, if you get a chance to play at a farmer's market, it's a nice, relaxing and fun time.
Play soft, talk to folks, hawk other peoples goods . . . be a neighbor. One hand washes the other; you'll walk away with whatever money you got, plus food, and a bunch of friends.
I'm not recommending at as a way to make a living, I'm recommending that as a way to make a life.
#293489 by Planetguy
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:56 am
all good indeed.

i play one or two Farmers' Mkt gigs every yr w my bluegrass band MERE MORTALS and we thoroughly enjoy it.
#293496 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:13 pm
I've put my name in for a couple of local Saturday farmers markets this coming summer, they have a rotation, so might get to do each twice.