This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#293442 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:33 am
I don't know, but that guy on the left sure takes up a lot of 'stage' room! :mrgreen: We had to fit my whole trio into that much space at one of the places we were playing last year!
#293447 by Ancient Vegan
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:35 pm
Man you guys have got volume control.

Most of the time that starts with the drummer.

Unless I've been drinking.

Variations on a I IV V
#293451 by Planetguy
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:58 pm
Thanks, AV... That's about one of the best compliments you can give me (and my bandmates who share similar views on dynamics).

We play the occasional big stage/ volume gig, but most of the time we're in smaller places w folks sitting close by, and we do take a measure of pride in being able to "converse" musically at conversational volume levels.

And you're right, that is largely on the drummer. There aren't enough drummers who can "bring the heat" without playing loud.

Monty, our drummer is the exception and I've played all styles/genres w him along the way for about 30 yrs now... He excels at all of them.
#293452 by Planetguy
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:13 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:I don't know, but that guy on the left sure takes up a lot of 'stage' room! :mrgreen: We had to fit my whole trio into that much space at one of the places we were playing last year!

Mike, you talk about taking up a lot of real estate...sheeeeeeet, you should have seen the Sienna van holding BOTH marimba AND vibes, my Deluxe Reverb, Fishman Loudbox Pro, two gtrs, an elec mando.....AND the Mrs!

BTW...we play PLENTY gigs where the stage (if there IS a stage) is the size of a postage stamp. So, when we do have some elbow room....that's when i get to bring both marimba and vibes. god help me, but for a nano second i had actually entertained the notion of ALSO bringing my malletKAT for steel pans and keyboard sounds. hell, it would have had to make the ride "Romney style" (strapped to the roof)! :lol:

we play one or a cpl times a month on this "stage"....in quartet mode the vibes stay home, but Wed we're there trio so the vibes will be making that already small stage even smaller.

#293484 by Planetguy
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:09 am
and here's one for the gtr players...hell, isn't EVERYONE on here a gtr player??!?!?!?!

kinda interesting, no?

anyway, here's "Stolen Moments"... a great tune by Oliver Nelson. Schmed i apologize up front for the poor editing, picking up the song after it already started, bailing before the end.... You'll have to take that matter up w my Mrs. ! (really, i wouldn't mess w her though) :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ilOTnydE8U
#293494 by schmedidiah
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:54 am
that was excellent. I just wish I played with any drummer......more often than I actually play with a drummer. :wink:
#293499 by Planetguy
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:07 pm
thanks schmed. gtr could be a little on the recording but I swear it seemed dialed in perfectly "in the room".

of course, my amp IS the furthest thing from the phone's mic.
#293500 by Planetguy
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:15 pm
this is the last video from that gig (and the crowd goes WIIIIIIIIILD!).

my favorite part (and likely my best playing) comes around 2:00 when i crack up Bill our bassplayer playing some "footsie percussion" with the shaker that's on the floor under the marimba!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ0zKrOfuU0
#293506 by schmedidiah
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:36 pm
Planetguy wrote:thanks schmed. gtr could be a little on the recording but I swear it seemed dialed in perfectly "in the room".

of course, my amp IS the furthest thing from the phone's mic.

phone mics are getting better at recording live music, but still not quite there yet. I can record a live band cranking it and it's far less of a mess than it was 5 years ago when I tried it. still doesn't stop people from posting videos with the worst sound imaginable. pro tip: if you want to film a band and post the video online, don't be right in front of the stage. :roll:
#293508 by Jahva
Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:14 pm
That was excellent PG... fun! 8)
That drummer is the chit!! Great Dynamics all around... though the bass was a bit weak on my cheapo work speakers.. :mrgreen:
Hope he is teaching some youngins hows it done...
#293521 by Planetguy
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:40 pm
Big thanks to all here who stopped by, checked out the tunes, and weighed in. :D

Thanks, Jahva. Monty used to give drum lessons when he worked at a local music store, but that was a few yrs back. I don't believe he misses it at all....he had to work w a bunch of kids that he felt really didn't want to be there and got real burned out on it.

Me, I love teaching and find it super rewarding. Up until maybe 5 yrs ago i never gave any beginners lessons. Instead preferring to work w more advanced students. But then I started getting contacted by some older folks in their 50's and 60's who'd never played an instr before, always wanted to because they love music, and now found themselves w time (and money) to pursue it. there's something that really hit(s) a chord w me about that, and i just feel that kind of chutzpah on their part...to dive in to try it at this point in their lives is something to be applauded and encouraged.