This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#292224 by Planetguy
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:06 pm
I'm curious...any other folks here who mess around on lap steel? if not and you've never had a chance to muck about w one, they are a lot of fun and not too hard to get around on.

I have two old Supros that i picked up super cheap. I keep one in open G tuning and the other in C6 tuning.

There's a guy who comes w his wife to our Mere Mortals gigs and has made most of the SARAH & MARK gigs. Non player but uber music fan. He always drops a 20 in the tip jar and has had us out to his place maybe half a dozen times playing for parties.

He and his wife are both big fans of the lap steel and since i don't usually bring it out to our bluegrass gigs they're always (nicely) bugging me to do so. Well, i hadn't played either of my Supros in awhile, and since they were just collecting dust....i decided to bring one out for the gig we played on Tues, w the plan to loan it to him w a small prct amp that I'll get back when we play the Winter Solstice party at their place in Dec.

Oh, man the excitement and joy on their faces when i pulled out that bad boy to play was only overshadowed after our last set when i told him he was taking it home with him.

Giving the gift of music to others.....there aren't many things better. 8)

Image
#292225 by schmedidiah
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:11 pm
I wish I'd tried one by now. saw my favorite local band use is as the lead inst for 20 years/ 45 gigs around the state. dancing the night away to that crazy sound.
#292226 by Planetguy
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:16 pm
you need one, schmed! the type of music you write and play.....it'd be a perfect addition. for schnizzle!
#292227 by schmedidiah
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:08 pm
Planetguy wrote:you need one, schmed! the type of music you write and play.....it'd be a perfect addition. for schnizzle!

I'll just put it in the queue behind all the hundreds of items of music gear i want but can't afford after the bills and other stuff.
:D :roll:
#292228 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:43 pm
Musicians Friend or Guitar Center had a Rogue lap steel on sale a year or so ago for $79 (usually $129 I think), I was so tempted, but then read it was a POS. I've seen Steve Howe use one (with lots of delay on it) at Yes shows for a few songs. really don't have the need/use for one with my kind of music.
#292232 by Planetguy
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:17 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Musicians Friend or Guitar Center had a Rogue lap steel on sale a year or so ago for $79 (usually $129 I think), I was so tempted, but then read it was a POS. I've seen Steve Howe use one (with lots of delay on it) at Yes shows for a few songs. really don't have the need/use for one with my kind of music.


yeah, i've heard similar bad things about the cheap lap steel that Gretsch makes.

yep, Howe uses one as does David Gilmour. But David Lindley is the be all and end all for me on lap steel. Lots of great playing on J Browne tunes as well as his solo work.
#292236 by Daynyrd Dylann
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:50 pm
Just bought a Rogue this morning on back order from Guitar Center f or 79 dollars..RLS-1.
Reviews were too good if you change out the pickup and drop glue down the wobbly tuners to stiffen them..LOL..my band Brains and the Know-How can use a lap steel
#292238 by Daynyrd Dylann
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:56 pm
Bought 4 ea NEEWER roundhole acoustic guitar pickups on eBay 6.30 ea..me and Brains and the Know-How just got home from our laundromat gig..lol..sold 1 to Faron..waiting for 3 to arrive..as good as any 52.95 Bill Lawrence pickup
#292240 by Daynyrd Dylann
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:01 pm
Junior Brown has a I presume custom made guitar that is double neck one neck a lap steel and 1 neck regular six string? And I think he plays it on a stand
#292244 by Planetguy
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:21 pm
Daynyrd Dylann wrote:Just bought a Rogue this morning on back order from Guitar Center f or 79 dollars..RLS-1.
Reviews were too good if you change out the pickup and drop glue down the wobbly tuners to stiffen them..LOL..my band Brains and the Know-How can use a lap steel


congrats. you'll have to give us your own review after it arrives. what kind of steel do you plan on using?


Daynyrd Dylann wrote:Junior Brown has a I presume custom made guitar that is double neck one neck a lap steel and 1 neck regular six string? And I think he plays it on a stand


correct you are. and he's a monster on it. he calls it a guit-steel.
#292253 by schmedidiah
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:39 am
Junior Brown rules
#292257 by Daynyrd Dylann
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:14 am
Planetguy wrote:
Daynyrd Dylann wrote:Just bought a Rogue this morning on back order from Guitar Center f or 79 dollars..RLS-1.
Reviews were too good if you change out the pickup and drop glue down the wobbly tuners to stiffen them..LOL..my band Brains and the Know-How can use a lap steel


congrats. you'll have to give us your own review after it arrives. what kind of steel do you plan on using?


Daynyrd Dylann wrote:Junior Brown has a I presume custom made guitar that is double neck one neck a lap steel and 1 neck regular six string? And I think he plays it on a stand


correct you are. and he's a monster on it. he calls it a guit-steel.

I might not have understood..its a lap steel.. I owned an Oahu lap steel once but sold it years ago.. There is a lot about steel guitars that I am not familiar with..and at 79 bucks it just seemed worth a shot to get one to mess with when jamming with Faron occasionally
Faron has busked in front of Patton Alley Pub and he's told me about this Ben Miller Band that played there a few years ago..and Faron jammed with Ben out front on the sidewalk..I was googling Patton Alley Pub cause Faron and I had been planning on busking there tomorrow night. And wanted to find out more about the pub and come across The Ben Miller Band has a gig there Oct. 26 and Faron is excited about seeing them again..weather looks terrible tomorrow so we are going Oct. 26 for sure..Ben jams with buskers Faron tells me..Faron jammed with him..I'm hoping I can the 26th weather willing..
#292265 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:36 pm
Neewer is just some place that relabels cheap China-produced gear.
Keep us updated when you get that Rogue and what those pickups sound like.
For quality (without the price) pickups, try the GLS brand from guitarfetish.com. I got a pre-wired pickup and pots/switch/jack set up from them for my Tele that is fantastic. I paid the extra $20 and got the 'solderless' set-up - comes with 1/16" plugs and jacks, so just screw everything into place, plug it together and you're off to the races.
#292268 by Jahva
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:33 pm
Honestly MikeB Schmed PG why do you guys even bother on those "crazy" threads? Trying to get a rise out of someone or continuously pointing out mistakes and ridiculing... you're as much a part of the problem by feeding into it... If you don't respond the threads die off or the individuals wind up talking to themselves... I guess. You're not going to change em... they believe what they believe... just live... and let live.
I'm also an Atheist... but I don't ridicule the guy on the corner holding up his end of the world Jesus Saves sign... it's no different to me... they believe what they believe. Just leave them be. Nothing says you have to respond respond to them... except a lack of self control.
#292270 by schmedidiah
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:22 pm
I'll try Jahva. that's all I can promise.

anyway. here's the band, Major Lingo. shared them here many times before. final show in the PHX area before they retired after 30 years.

https://youtu.be/a_xSXTqhJ_4

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests