This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#291727 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:27 am
If you can get hooked up with a 'special event' promoter, that's great - around here those kinds of events are not looking for 70s classic rock. Either 'tribute' or a danceable pop and/or (real) oldies or a mix is what they want.
The clubs/bars where all the 'classic rock' bands (like mine in the 80s) used to play are pretty much gone, and any cover bands need to do 80s 'hair band' music, or a good mix including stuff up through the last few years - because the people who are going out to these places were born in the 70s or 80s, and they don't want to hear the music their parents listened to (and least not too much of it!)

Haley - I watched/listened to all the videos, playing was all good, although I think the bass player needs to step up his game a little more - because with a 3-piece (+ singer) band, when you take a lead, the sound just kind of falls away. His sound was fairly clean, too, does he use any stompboxes?
But that's not just your band, I hear it all the time with bands around here. I understand that bands don't want to add another player - because all of a sudden you're making 75% or 80% of what you were making. So I see bands 'making do' or choosing songs that don't really have much for lead guitar parts in them (more 'flourishes' added in places than real leads). And if you listen to current indie rock (not pop!), you will rarely hear a guitar lead from a band, only from solo players (like John Mayer).

For myself, the last thing I want to be doing at my age is playing those same loud 70s songs I played 30 years ago (my tinnitus gets worse just thinking about it!) There's a fair share of 70s songs I still play - acoustically, but I also mix in songs from the 60s through current stuff - plus I can throw a few originals into the set list at a cover gig, too, which is not so easy with a classic rock 70s-style band.

So if you can keep doing this in Houston (and Cajundaddy out on the coast, too), and you enjoy it, keep on rockin'. When its all work and no fun... time to find something else to do.
#291729 by J-HALEY
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:40 am
Thanks Mike for the honest critique of our bands performance. This is no reflection on your comment but I think some people have misunderstood my current band situation. I understand that you have nothing else to go on aside from the video I posted. First off the venue we were playing is the most popular venue in the greater Houston area, secondly we were opening for a Zeppelin tribute band. We took the songs from our 4 HOUR sets that we thought would most compliment a "classic rock" band like Led Zeppelin. We did not get paid for that gig. It was the standard opening for a national touring band. I very rarely will play for free like that but in the video you can't see all the people behind probably 200 or so. Last time I did this the following weekend I was playing another (paying) gig a guy came up to me and said "weren't you just at the Scout Bar" it is a high visibility venue. One thing I have learned about the music business is it is really about how well you promote yourself and or your band. If you want to play regularly with the best musicians you have to get your name out there. I have been doing this a long time and have performed with so many people at so many gigs I can't even remember them all. If you ask people in this area of 4+ million who Jeff Haley is and if they have anything to do with the music biz they will most likely know who I am. I am not saying this in a bragging way just making a point you should get your name out there.
What Cajundaddy said is the same situation with our band. We don't just play classic rock we mix it up we are a variety band. The lead singer in the video also plays keyboards, acoustic, and electric guitar. At a normal gig when I go to a lead the rhythm is stronger. We minimized our setup for this gig as there is only a 15 minute interval between bands.
#291730 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:31 pm
The other guitarist in my trio (who left, breaking up the band) played one of those 'opening for a tribute band for free' things a few months ago. They actually had to try to sell tickets (although they didn't have to pay up font for them - so not quite pay to play). It was at the largest club in New Hampshire, where local bands will get $500+, touring bands $1000+. It didn't get them any future gigs there, though.
It's good your singer can also play instruments.
Protect your ears!
#291803 by Ancient Vegan
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:07 pm
You know I had it right 6 or 7 years ago when I started calling you Mr Hanky :lol:

I'm truly humbled that rich musicians playing in bands of note like you Mr Hanky, and
Cajun Daddy , or Yod even conversing with a lowly musician from nowhere MO.

Nobody listens to cover bands playing that tired 70s rock, when I go out with my kids,
it's usually more hip hop or metal based, those good looking young girls you want to run
around with Yod, are listening to way more contemporary music then that tired old 70s rock.
And you don't come close to sounding like the original artists, you should take up painting.

And Mr Hanky at least I can keep a girlfriend.

I should email your old friend stringdancer, you can read the fear in your posts with him.

Don't spend all your money in 1 place.
#291811 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:14 pm
Haley - I noticed you were using a Marshall (or was that the other band's amp?) - are you using the Helix through it?
#291812 by J-HALEY
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:25 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Haley - I noticed you were using a Marshall (or was that the other band's amp?) - are you using the Helix through it?

Mike, that was the Helix, I was playing through straight out into the mixing console. notice the light on the switch of that Marshall is off it would be glowing orange.
#291819 by MikeTalbot
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:03 am
Mr. Haley

To me, Three Piece is heaven. When the sound falls off a bit it's usually something that can be easily fixed. The Bass man seems to know his job so maybe just needs to fill the room a bit more. It's always a pain in the neck with the bass, too much, too little...and the room always seems to matter more with the bass.

Was playing that way with an outfit pushing an SVT and the sound just wasn't thick enough. The lead guitar player was a sharp electronics guy so he figured out how to use a 100 Watt Marshal guitar amp to push the SVT speakers. It did sound great.

Now days my church band has a sound man who is pretty sharp but I started wearing my earplugs to rehearsals because I hate to hear him say, "Turn it down!" (I'm not running through the PA) 8)

cheers
Talbot
#291988 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:39 pm
Ancient Vegan wrote:Nobody listens to cover bands playing that tired 70s rock, when I go out with my kids,
it's usually more hip hop or metal based, those good looking young girls you want to run
around with Yod, are listening to way more contemporary music then that tired old 70s rock.
And you don't come close to sounding like the original artists, you should take up painting.

Thanks for your "concern" but you know nothing about me

Last edited by t-Roy and The Smoking Section on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#291993 by Ancient Vegan
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:05 pm
Bilking the churches, and all the believers.

Like I said I always paid when I played at church, your right I don't know
nothing, but I'm not the downfall of the church, you are. :mrgreen:
#291994 by Ancient Vegan
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:10 pm
Just to be clear Yod on what I do know.

When you play to worship the Lord, you are not the main attraction.

Karmas a bitch
#292001 by DainNobody
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:14 am
Ancient Vegan wrote:Bilking the churches, and all the believers.

Like I said I always paid when I played at church, your right I don't know
nothing, but I'm not the downfall of the church, you are. :mrgreen:

You used a double negative Ancient Vegan..
#292126 by Ancient Vegan
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:42 pm
Facts Yod, come down from the mountaintop and live.
#292133 by DainNobody
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:37 pm
You might hate me Lynyrd but that's funny as he'll.. :lol:
#292146 by DainNobody
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:22 pm
Daynyrd Dylann wrote:You might hate me Lynyrd but that's funny as he'll.. :lol:
Go rest high on that mountain
Son, your work on earth is done.
Go to heaven a-shoutin'
Love for the Father and the Son.…