This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#290532 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:37 am
You know the song, but take a look at this new 'official' video released by RHino: https://youtu.be/dQOaUnSmJr8
#290550 by Jahva
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:12 pm
Never really liked their music all that much... but i did like this one.
The video (yawn) is... same narrative as any many west coasters... Preachy faqers.

You'd think by now most people have a basic understanding of this country's history... hw we got here the progress that has been made and will continue. What's the point in this continuation of the ills of the past? It's like you want people to feel guilty for things they had nothing to do with... it's nonsense. Not buying it... trying to tie the past to today?
White guilt is for the rich Liberals... not me.
Have you noticed how the West coast loves their immigrants... got have more... while they live in the nicest homes in the foothills... got to have someone to cut your lawn right?
Maybe he should take part of his 40 million and go clean up San Francisco... what a chit-hole that town is turning into.
#290558 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:44 pm
^^^sad^^^^^ :roll:
#290561 by schmedidiah
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:01 pm
Yup. Jerry Garcia owned that song. :wink:
#290567 by schmedidiah
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:28 am
I'll give the filmmaker credit on one yuge point.....

No Hilary anywhere near that video. That's a winning strategy. :lol:
#290572 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:45 pm
Cajundaddy wrote:I always liked Nash's music. Politics? Not so much.

ALl of the band were on the same boat as to politics. Stills still is. WHen I saw him (and Judy Collins) 2 months ago, he was pretty vocal with his stance on current happenings. Enough so that a number of very conservative-looking people stood up and left the show with snobby/irritated looks on their faces (probably season ticket holders at the venue).

Yup. Jerry Garcia owned that song

That is some tasty pedal steel.
#290576 by Jahva
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:38 pm
Be political... that's his biz like so many other artist... if you follow them you should expect it.
To some it's a turn off... Just not into listening to music rehashed by some old fat guy preacher to capitalize on the current climate here... I'll bet he makes a few more dollars from it though. Maybe he could donate it to the pick up the human feces and needles project on the streets of San Francisco. :roll:

:lol: :lol: (probably season ticket holders at the venue).
Is this an insinuation that they have money and are not really fans or don't really know what they were getting themselves into...
Sounds kind of snobby to say... no?
#290577 by J-HALEY
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:42 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:You know the song, but take a look at this new 'official' video released by RHino: https://youtu.be/dQOaUnSmJr8

Great song it has always been one of my very favorites, same for the band CSNY! Thanks for sharing that Mike. I would not have gotten up and walked out everyone is entitled to their opinion. In the end that's all it is. I do however feel when I go see one of my favorite groups I would prefer they keep their political opinions to themselves and just play their AWESOME music. On the other hand if you go to a show to see a band that is known for airing their beliefs in the show you should probably expect it. Again that still would not stop me from attending the concert. I appreciate art for what it is no matter the artist, political leanings, sexual orientation, or any other reason.
#290584 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:20 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:
Cajundaddy wrote:I always liked Nash's music. Politics? Not so much.

ALl of the band were on the same boat as to politics. .

I bet David Crosby is kind of fond of the 2nd Amendment after time in prison for having a gun.

#290593 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:39 pm
Jahva wrote: :lol: :lol: (probably season ticket holders at the venue).
Is this an insinuation that they have money and are not really fans or don't really know what they were getting themselves into...

Both. I'm 'snobby' because I judge snobs that way? Whatever! :lol:
#290594 by Mordgeld
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:47 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:

Conservatives buy music too. I try to bear in mind that I could half my potential audience with one snide remark on social media. Of course, some musicians have decided that they have too many fans. Pearl Jam comes to mind.
#290598 by Jahva
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:46 am
GuitarMikeB wrote:

Yup you a Snob! :lol:
#290599 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:36 pm
Mordgeld wrote:Conservatives buy music too. I try to bear in mind that I could half my potential audience with one snide remark on social media. Of course, some musicians have decided that they have too many fans. Pearl Jam comes to mind.

No one's buying music these days. Except 'superfans'. And musicians. Sad but true. If it wasn't, 'old timers' (like Stills, Rundgren, Ian Anderson, etc etc) wouldn't be touring to make real dollars, rather than releasing new music.
Those people who walked out - you think they would have stopped at the merch table to buy the new Stills-Collins CD (or a t-shirt) if both performers had just played their music and kept their mouths shut? Nope.

I went to an open mic last week with a 'feature' artist, she played solo acoustic, but she plays rock-blues with a band normally. Has 5 albums available. She brought a handful of CDs to sell, knowing she wasn't going to sell many. I bought 2, I saw the guy running the place buy 1. No one else - but plenty of people threw $$ in the hat when it was passed around to pay her. That's the state of music sales these days.
#290614 by Mordgeld
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:57 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:
Mordgeld wrote:Conservatives buy music too. I try to bear in mind that I could half my potential audience with one snide remark on social media. Of course, some musicians have decided that they have too many fans. Pearl Jam comes to mind.

No one's buying music these days. Except 'superfans'. And musicians. Sad but true. If it wasn't, 'old timers' (like Stills, Rundgren, Ian Anderson, etc etc) wouldn't be touring to make real dollars, rather than releasing new music.
Those people who walked out - you think they would have stopped at the merch table to buy the new Stills-Collins CD (or a t-shirt) if both performers had just played their music and kept their mouths shut? Nope.

I went to an open mic last week with a 'feature' artist, she played solo acoustic, but she plays rock-blues with a band normally. Has 5 albums available. She brought a handful of CDs to sell, knowing she wasn't going to sell many. I bought 2, I saw the guy running the place buy 1. No one else - but plenty of people threw $$ in the hat when it was passed around to pay her. That's the state of music sales these days.

No offense, but open mic doesn't seem like a serious avenue for making sales. And CDs? Digital sales are where it is at now. You want the fans to come to your content online and share the links with their friends.

Why do you think people won't buy merch if you present a good product and don't piss them off?

It is true that the music business sucks, especially if you are in hock to a label, but my assertion still stands. Why handicap what little business you might find.