This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#289439 by DainNobody
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 pm
Neighbor pulled into drive today just as I was exiting house to take 2nd 1/2 hour walk of the day..asked if my band would play at his upcoming party in September for 150.00.(negotiable?).guess he ain't heard I ain't played with a band for years..also wanted to know what a fog machine is worth? And strobe light? Couldn't help with any of it ...
#289440 by DainNobody
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:11 pm
When I say neighbor I mean he lives in same subdivision not next door neighbor..
#289453 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:39 pm
Yeah, should have said 'for $150' you get me for 2 hours. A band will cost you $500 for 2 hours.'
#289455 by DainNobody
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:15 pm
He is the father of a guy who used to host open Mic nights aTuesdays @ Lindbergs in Springville years ago... The same guy who offered me a spot in his band with gigs at Tiki Lounge in Tulsa and a gig in St.Louis long distance travel gigs in which I refused due to work conflicts...
The father yesterday asked me if I had heard from his son since they are no longer on speaking terms..told him the phone no. Was not valid that you gave me a month or so ago when I asked father how to contact son about jamming something together with maybe shot at gig or even open Mic somewhere..
#290619 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:55 pm
I got a call from a booking agent yesterday looking to fill a hole in a rotation at a local restaurant/bar. I know the place as a friend has played there - in fact he played last night. I guessed, from what my friend had told me, that they were not paying well - but my friend has been taking solo gigs at lower-than-good for a while, so he was ok with it. So the call confirmed - I mad a counter offer, 33% more - it's a 4 hour gig (with breaks), but when you add set-up and break-down, it's 5 hours total.
The guy said he'd talk to the owner, haven't heard back from him yet, so I suspect he still hunting for others who will do it for their amount. Just not worth it for me - I know people making more than I asked for, for shorter gigs, and they are just providing music, not bringing in crowds.
#290682 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:53 pm
To follow up ^^ the guy booked my friend (who is already booked there the week before) for that night he wanted me. Sent him an email thanking him for the opportunity and mentioning again that the pay was too low for me, that I'd do 3 hours for the amount offered, not 4 hours.
But as long as there are people out there who will take gigs at low pay, places will never offer more.
#290689 by J-HALEY
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:39 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:To follow up ^^ the guy booked my friend (who is already booked there the week before) for that night he wanted me. Sent him an email thanking him for the opportunity and mentioning again that the pay was too low for me, that I'd do 3 hours for the amount offered, not 4 hours.
But as long as there are people out there who will take gigs at low pay, places will never offer more.

What gets me about those places is they want to lowball the poor musician all while charging a PREMIUM for their products food/alcohol.
#290691 by Mordgeld
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:33 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:To follow up ^^ the guy booked my friend (who is already booked there the week before) for that night he wanted me. Sent him an email thanking him for the opportunity and mentioning again that the pay was too low for me, that I'd do 3 hours for the amount offered, not 4 hours.

Free market in action. They will get what they paid for.
#290693 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:59 pm
Mordgeld wrote:Free market in action. They will get what they paid for.

Amen. That's the only way to look at it.

Really, if you're trying to make money at this, you can't even be seen playing a place like that or the next club is going to want you to also.

I realize it's work that doesn't pay upfront but it would open the doors to long term success if you're willing to do the work to create a local music scene. For example, Mike...you seem to prefer the political collective, so why not make a musical collective in the Boston area?

Find a VFW or a community center or a dying church or a friends garage/barn who would donate an off night space (or rent very cheaply) and start hosting a regular open mic night yourself.

Maybe form a MeetUp group of songwriters who want to perform and encourage others to help by having membership fees pay for it. Do periodical special events you can charge for. Get local radio stations involved, DJs make nothing so they are all doing it to be local heroes. Stroke their ego by inviting them to come out and sing at every one of these.

Ya know...get creative. There's bound to be a restaurant or record store or some other non-bar venue who would donate space (if it raises their profile and draws new business) for you to put on a periodical concert

Make it what you think it should be. Create the scene that's just waiting to be created.

#290694 by Mordgeld
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:33 pm
yod wrote:...Create the scene that's just waiting to be created...

This. I like to network with other bands and provide a turnkey multi-booking show to the venue. Then you tell the venue, you provide us this amount and you only have to worry about selling food/drinks/cover to the folks who show up. We handle the rest. Is a great way to open up new locations to bookings.
#290696 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:50 pm
Mordgeld wrote:

This. I like to network with other bands and provide a turnkey multi-booking show to the venue. Then you tell the venue, you provide us this amount and you only have to worry about selling food/drinks/cover to the folks who show up. We handle the rest. Is a great way to open up new locations to bookings.

That might work in a location that 'needs a scene'. The Boston area is glutted. There a couple of hundred 'kids' (20 or 30-somethings) that will hop on every opportunity to play (at low or no pay). Bands out the yazoo taking gigs for their share of nothing for a single set on a night with 2 or 3 or 4 other bands. Every venue that will pay $$ is booked out 3-4 months in advance (some even longer) - bands or solo/duos. 75% of all these acts don't need to travel more than 10 miles to where they play - that's how packed the area is. The open mic I went to 2 Sundays ago, 25 miles from where I live had a full list of people to play, and I didn't know any of them despite playing at OMs around this same general area for the last 7 years.
I know plenty of people already running 'open mics' in church halls or library rooms, or on off nights in auditoriums. None are making enough money to cover their gas expenses, they're doing it just to play and have fun.
#290697 by DainNobody
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:14 pm
They need to move to Tibbetts where the gig money flows abundantly.. :o
#290698 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:37 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:
Mordgeld wrote:

That might work in a location that 'needs a scene'. The Boston area is glutted. There a couple of hundred 'kids' (20 or 30-somethings) that will hop on every opportunity to play (at low or no pay). Bands out the yazoo taking gigs for their share of nothing for a single set on a night with 2 or 3 or 4 other bands. Every venue that will pay $$ is booked out 3-4 months in advance (some even longer) - bands or solo/duos. 75% of all these acts don't need to travel more than 10 miles to where they play - that's how packed the area is. The open mic I went to 2 Sundays ago, 25 miles from where I live had a full list of people to play, and I didn't know any of them despite playing at OMs around this same general area for the last 7 years.
I know plenty of people already running 'open mics' in church halls or library rooms, or on off nights in auditoriums. None are making enough money to cover their gas expenses, they're doing it just to play and have fun.

Those are good reasons to do what I suggested. Works everywhere it's tried IF you have people playing music other people are willing to sit through.

But yea, it would take effort. It's definitely easier to complain there's nothing to do.

Not sure why I try here....