This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#288231 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:57 pm
Typically, I can't be bothered with 'jamming' type events. Always winds up being long drawn-out versions of simple, boring songs while each person takes a lead.
With no open mics around last week that I could make it to - options were all late starting/late running (like 9-midnight) - which don't work me as I'm up at 6am for work every weekday, so I went to a Saturday night open mic which looked like it might be more jamming than I prefer. It was, but at least it was all acoustic. There was a guy with an acoustic double bass who was good on some songs.
I actually jammed along, from my seat, with the host's songs, playing some leads, which could only be heard by those close to me. He was actually someone I could easily support in a duo role, but I quickly figured out that he plays solo gigs regularly and invites people to come up and play with him/jam at the gigs - do he gets to keep all the pay.
So the end of the night ended up being about 40 minutes of everyone jamming together - there was no one left in the place but us players. Nope, not what I want to do regularly.
#288232 by DainNobody
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Guitar Mike..are these venues in Boston or Methuen? Or is Methuen actually considered Greater Boston metro?
#288234 by J-HALEY
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:55 pm
Perhaps you could do a one man show or set up your own Jam night somewhere?
#288236 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:03 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Typically, I can't be bothered with 'jamming' type events. 40 minutes of everyone jamming together - there was no one left in the place but us players. Nope, not what I want to do regularly.

Sounds like a blast to me. The reason you don't like jamming is because you miss the point entirely. Its about interaction with people you don't know. It's about the fun of exploration for no reason at all. Who cares about those sitting down (or in your case the lack thereof)?

You were expecting Carnegie Hall?

#288250 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:58 pm
Dane - I'm 25 miles outside Boston, it's all the 'Greater Boston area'.

Haley - I'd love to be hosting open mics again, looking for a place that will pay me!

Ted - no, I'm not missing the point at all. Playing a 3 chord song for 15 minutes while each person takes a lead (some times multiple leads). Maybe you enjoy that. It gets tedious for me. I certainly enjoy playing a song with others (we did 'Melissa', and only slightly extended it - because I think I was the only person who knew it well).